I finished my shop's website, take a look!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Looks good to me!
    Thanks! I've updated a few more things, added some more background images. I'd love to know if it helps or hurts!
    Originally posted by kickinindian
    ughghgghghg that lotus 41 though, thing is sexy!
    Heh, I know. The thing is absolutely gorgeous AND a beast. And the location of the shifter matches my arm perfectly....:devil:

    Leave a comment:


  • kickinindian
    replied
    ughghgghghg that lotus 41 though, thing is sexy!

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Looks good to me!

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    I tried something else to "liven up" the look of the site and would like some input: I added some photos to the backgrounds of the home, services, and drivers pages. I can't tell if they cause a bit of visual overload, though. I was thinking maybe something with a parallax effect to reduce the number of photos on "taller" pages, but I haven't gotten it to work right yet. Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    Its a shop site so its right in the family looking 10 years old lol.

    You are on the right track though. The next step would be making all the menu options one line, no double line options. Then slim it down even further, and have the logo clip over the edge of the picture below it, then Id slim down that photo below it a tiny bit.

    That would look pretty excellent.

    Add some more neutral backgrounds and etc so the site isnt as polarizing color wise and you would be set.
    I'll be leaving the color scheme at the boss's request, but I did shuffle some things around on the homepage and slim the menu bar/photo some. I'm not too sure how to single-line all the options without going with a really small font, so I'll leave that bit for now as well. I figured leaving the logo in the bar (as opposed to clipping below it) would look a little cleaner, no?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Its a shop site so its right in the family looking 10 years old lol.

    You are on the right track though. The next step would be making all the menu options one line, no double line options. Then slim it down even further, and have the logo clip over the edge of the picture below it, then Id slim down that photo below it a tiny bit.

    That would look pretty excellent.

    Add some more neutral backgrounds and etc so the site isnt as polarizing color wise and you would be set.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by MrSlacker
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But the site looks like it was made 10 years ago. Do not format your site to what your hosting supports - get new hosting!

    There are a lot of affordable template sites. SquareSpace is a great example. They all also support mobile. Around 50% of people now browse on their phones.

    Don't try to create something from scratch, find a template that you like and use that.

    That's how I personally build my first ecommerce site.
    Fair enough, but I'm happy with it for the time being.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrSlacker
    replied
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But the site looks like it was made 10 years ago. Do not format your site to what your hosting supports - get new hosting!

    There are a lot of affordable template sites. SquareSpace is a great example. They all also support mobile. Around 50% of people now browse on their phones.

    Don't try to create something from scratch, find a template that you like and use that.

    That's how I personally build my first ecommerce site.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    Yeah that's better. You could also slim it down a little by changing "Our cars / drivers" to "cars / drivers" and taking the 'us' out of 'contact us' which would help a bit with visual formatting having everything on one line. You could take '2016' out of 'race schedule' but it'll still be long. I think it might look a little better if it was spread out a bit more. Use the whole bar. The one thing you can't slim down much is the logo. Maybe put that in the middle, and let it hang down over the bottom of the bar some? Maybe you could make it the 'home' button, and split the remaining links, 3 on each side? Just thinking out loud here.

    Not sure how much energy you want to spend on this, so don't mind me if I'm just nit-picking.
    No, I appreciate it! I thought I had extra width on the sides to work with, but a couple people told me the page was cut off at the sides if I went any wider than it is now. Maybe an issue with certain resolutions? At any rate, I'd prefer to leave that bit at least for now until I figure that out.

    I agree about some items being one line and some being two. I decided it may be better to have more items on two lines so the schedule didn't stick out as much. I also considered making it the "home" button (it actually does function as one), but I thought that might not be clear enough. Splitting it is an interesting idea though if I could make sure the "home" use for the logo is clear.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Yeah that's better. You could also slim it down a little by changing "Our cars / drivers" to "cars / drivers" and taking the 'us' out of 'contact us' which would help a bit with visual formatting having everything on one line. You could take '2016' out of 'race schedule' but it'll still be long. I think it might look a little better if it was spread out a bit more. Use the whole bar. The one thing you can't slim down much is the logo. Maybe put that in the middle, and let it hang down over the bottom of the bar some? Maybe you could make it the 'home' button, and split the remaining links, 3 on each side? Just thinking out loud here.

    Not sure how much energy you want to spend on this, so don't mind me if I'm just nit-picking.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Updated the menu and got the float-over to work again! I was hovering over "videos" in this screenshot:

    Let me know if desktop and mobile are working alright now!

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Okay, so the editor is very hard to work with regarding menu buttons but I deleted them and made text instead. Is this more of what you guys were thinking, layout-wise? I also slimmed down the upper bar some. This is a rough mock-up, so I could change fonts, font sizes, etc. still. Also, do I have to do anything to make it obvious these are clickable options or do anything to visually separate them at all?


    Here's the current layout as an example. (The one above isn't live yet)


    Here it is with some vertical bars between the options. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ELVA164; 02-07-2016, 11:26 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    Yeah, from what I can see in the source. Looks like it pulls a lot of formatting from somewhere?

    But yeah, id look at the examples Weebly and SquareSpace use for styling just for reference. They are mainly portfolio websites from my experience, but they are still designed well enough for reference.
    Maybe because it's mostly drag-and-drop?


    I'll look at those for reference.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wschnitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ELVA164
    My site, you mean?
    Yeah, from what I can see in the source. Looks like it pulls a lot of formatting from somewhere?

    But yeah, id look at the examples Weebly and SquareSpace use for styling just for reference. They are mainly portfolio websites from my experience, but they are still designed well enough for reference.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by Wschnitz
    Looks like is uses lots of java. Messy as fuck too. and an XHTML template of some sort.
    My site, you mean?

    Leave a comment:

Working...