Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever left a good job to move out of state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever left a good job to move out of state?

Well, if you have, please chime in (I'll give you a little background):

I am living in what people who make over $100k a year "paradise", but to working class stiffs like myself who make much less than that, it is a seasonal trap where I am slammed 5 months out of the year and scraping by the remaining 7 months. I'm ready to pack up and move. I already have my mind set on Charlotte, NC or the surrounding area (family is up there, plus I see more opportunities), but a current rent lease is holding me back which isn't up for another solid 6-7 months.

I've got a family to raise and down here it is slow work-wise during the summer. My fiance went back to work not too long ago because of the tremendous hike of prices in the housing market. (look up Naples, FL; it's the most overpriced and overrated market in the entire country right now). Come summer time, she will be laid off and to add a bit of salt, those months I am struggling as well. I work at a good job at a family owned dealership where my efforts are much appreciated and I am held in an above manner regard. Although I don't make a killing, it is still good for what I do. Within a year and 5 months, I was promoted from a regular parts counterman to assistant manager, so my work ethic is normally above par of what many companies expect. I oversee a few people, but the raise was meager and I feel that I can make more in another place.

Has anyone done the same or even similar to what I plan on doing? I know everyone lives paycheck to paycheck, but has it ever gotten so bad that you had to pack up, move out of state, start new and it finally felt like you had a real life with goals?
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

I remember a while back a member here was in the same situation. tried really hard to do interviews over the phone and eventually found a promising job where he wanted to move and went through with it.

really wish I remembered who it was man...
    sigpic
    @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
    Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

I left a shop with a friend, dream situation but my wife got pregnant and we just couldn't wait any longer for things to happen.

I put my resume on career builder and put in that I was looking for a career change and willing to travel.

A few weeks later I got a call asking if I wanted to move to Virginia and take a temp-to-hire position working on Passenger trains. I never thought about that as a career, but I figured it sounded interesting and I was sick of wrenching on cars.

Talked with the wife, and went for it. Best decision I ever made! Going on 3 years now and I have managed to climb from the bottom, to now being the lead guy on the day shift. (No supervisor, so I'm like a supervisor who works for a living.)

I found my calling by sticking my thumb out and hoping for the best. I am thankful every day for taking the plunge.

If you haven't already found your calling, you won't find it by holding back.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

When it came time for a job, I moved where I was needed. Granyed, not family to haul along at the time. Money is only a part of the big equation. Schools and community for the family situation.. safety... not sure how Florida treats you in that regard...

Only recently did I encourage term in short order two parts managers that made it out to be a pretty lucrative and cut throat type of position. One guy was contacted by a Ford dealer, stealing him away from 15 years at Toyota with an offer he couldn't refuse.

Don't go burning bridges!!

I wish you the best and trust you will do whatever is necessary to make the family prosper.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
          I left a shop with a friend, dream situation but my wife got pregnant and we just couldn't wait any longer for things to happen.

I put my resume on career builder and put in that I was looking for a career change and willing to travel.

A few weeks later I got a call asking if I wanted to move to Virginia and take a temp-to-hire position working on Passenger trains. I never thought about that as a career, but I figured it sounded interesting and I was sick of wrenching on cars.

Talked with the wife, and went for it. Best decision I ever made! Going on 3 years now and I have managed to climb from the bottom, to now being the lead guy on the day shift. (No supervisor, so I'm like a supervisor who works for a living.)

I found my calling by sticking my thumb out and hoping for the best. I am thankful every day for taking the plunge.

If you haven't already found your calling, you won't find it by holding back.

seriously speaking Ben, I learn a lot from you lol.
          everything you post is insightful.
          sigpic
          @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
          Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
            seriously speaking Ben, I learn a lot from you lol.
            everything you post is insightful.
            +1
            everytime he posts something, I usually rub out out

...true story
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

That's exactly what I'm about to do. I have a job that pays above average for this area, I get to work in a climate controlled office and am always comfortable, and I love the city I live in. But I can't stand the work and know that I need a change, so I'm going to follow my GF to wherever she goes to school. (I still need to replay to that thread and thank everyone for their advice)

sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Oh stop it you guys.

But seriously, glad I can help!
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I'm asking a similar question at this very moment... we should both move to Virginia.

But to answer yours, if you have the attitude for it, I would always choose the opportunity to move up in my field over staying with the same group of people based on familiarity. It's your life, not theirs. Whose to say you won't meet new people and move up in that new group? And you can always use the family business as a reference.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

what is the penalty for breaking your lease? if it is only paying a months rent, i would say go for it. you can live cheaper in nc and i think its a better lifestyle than florida. probably better jobs too. have you looked around in your area? i bet there is something for you around there that pays better. even if it sucks ass, its probably ok to do for the next 6 months until your lease is up.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      A few weeks later I got a call asking if I wanted to move to Virginia and take a temp-to-hire position working on Passenger trains.
                      The kid in me thinks that would be super fun..

The young adult in me says "but you are making good money in Software."

The old fart in me says "Listen to the kid in you!"

I never thought I would be in software, and only got in to it after talking with the husband of a friend of my wife's. At the time I was in radio and thought that was were my career would stay. Make more money now, and though the current job isn't all that I want it to be, I know I can find better fitting opportunities down the road.

Plus, you gotta do what's right for you and your family.

There's a lot of benefit to being closer to relatives. I don't know how many times I have heard people who left their home town to move to Portlandia and complain about the cost of babysitting and what not. More often then not, grandparents living near = free/discounted child care! :)

Do what you gotta do. Just because one job seems like the best job ever, doesn't mean you can't find the another good one down the road.

PS - Don't move to Portland, we are full.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Similar situation myself..

Here's a little back ground to start, I grew up in small town Iowa and hated it but dreamed of moving to the PNW.
                        Fast forward a few years and I moved to Portland, OR and had a very successful interview for a job I knew I would eventually grow to hate, but I needed a job in order to continue paying rent... Decided overnight to pack my shit and move to Austin, Tx where I heard the job market was great , the city has lots to do, and I already had friends/connections.

Ive now lived in Austin for about 13 months and I love this city but I'm in a very similar situation as I was in Portland. I'm burnt out of working two jobs (55-60hrs a week) and honestly I've come to realize that living in this part of the country isn't for me (Central Texas is a long way from anywhere). One of my current jobs just had an ideal position open up that I'd really enjoy to have but I know that I'm just not happy here in Texas. So I'm now in the process of saving my money and preparing to pack my shit up again, this time I'm heading back to the West Coast, where I have a supporting group of friends waiting for my arrival.
                        I couldn't be more stoked! Of course I'm super nervous about starting over AGAIN and even a little worried about trying to get settled in somewhere new, but I know that you don't grow as a person unless you get outside of your comfort zone every once in awhile.

If there's even a little bit of you that thinks you'll be better off somewhere else I suggest you run with it. There is no reason to stick around and wonder what if? Why not make a change and find out for yourself?

I know I'm in a little bit of a different situation than you are so maybe it's easier said than done but I really recommend that you go with gut. As you can see, Ive made the jump twice so far.. It doesn't always work out but I know that I'm happier where I am now than if I had never tried.

FYI I'm 25 , single, and luckily haven't gained much in debt so far which has allowed me some creative freedom in where/how I live. But I know that Ive got to come up with a real plan soon, I just couldn't see myself staying somewhere I wasn't happy just because I needed to start a career.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

I'll probably be moving soon. But only because the new job comes with a lot of new toys.

And I hate real jobs. I worked for the man once, and that lasted a whole 7 months.
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, my parents live in naples now and their rent for a crappy townhouse is like $500 more than my mortgage for a house x4 the size on an acre of land outside of Raleigh. Charlotte can be pretty expensive too though man, you really have to do your research and depending on where you're looking to work/live, traffic can be a make it/break it situation.

NC is a great place though man, lots of opportunities for all income levels. Charlotte especially, is continuously growing and improving, new businesses coming up, etc etc. you name it.

I'm coming up on a similar situation leaving the Army and it a little overwhelming making sure I can find a job and provide a better life.
                            -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                            -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! It sure does solidify my decision. I am for sure set on NC, my fiance and I have talked about it and visited twice. I won't be living exactly IN Charlotte, but possibly outside of it and just commute for work. I have seen the traffic and experienced it firsthand, but that was during late August/early September last year. It wasn't horrible but definitely jam packed when 4:30-5PM rolled around.

Aside from that, I know I will have no problem finding work. That I am not insanely worried about, I just wonder if it is busy or steady year round. Like I mentioned before, the high cost of living as well as only making decent money is 5 months out of the year and quite frankly, no one should have to live like that. That's why I am planning a major move to somewhere with better opportunities.

crash n' burn, you know exactly what I'm talking about. my 2/2 apartment is over $1400 a month and I'm on the 3rd floor. I live on 951 just past exit 101, away from everything and the price does not justify it. At the time, I had no choice because I have a large dog and this place was the only place that would accept pets, regardless of size. It is not worth what I pay for and I can blame the inflated market on out of state buyers and investors. It has made me bitter and I actually can't wait to escape this place before another bubble happens.
                              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                              X