Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best garage door opener company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the best garage door opener company?

I have never bought a garage door opener (GDO). I did some research and it looks like all brands have some negative reviews.

What should I look for in a GDO? A lot of the product descriptions tout quiet operation, however, I like to know when my GDO is in operation because my wife frequently forgets to close it. That said, I don't want one that is going to vibrate like hell.

Do you prefer Genie, Chamberlin, Craftsman, Sommer, or another brand?

Sommer GDOs are made in Germany which for me automatically give it an edge over the others. Anyone own a Direct Drive?
    I Timothy 2:1-2

go with a screw type opener if it fits your budget. probably the genie. i doubt one brand is much better than the others.

you might look to see if consumer reports has done reviews.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate the input. We had a screw type previously, it got messy with the grease.

It worked as intended never broke though.

I checked consumer reports, they want you to pay for a subscription to read the reports…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best opener is marantec belt drive. They are whisper quite and tough as nails. Pricey tho. Try and stick with a belt drive with a solid track. Most off the shelf GDO will have everything packed in a box. This means the track will be in 3-4 pieces and causes the trolley to bounce and add stress. I'd also go torsion bar up front vs side springs. Most all local installers are
        The same. You could try Costco, for the warranty. Good luck.
        F80 M3 Alpine
        E10 Fjord Blue 2002
        E28 Blackish 535i
        E21 Silver 320i
        Disco1 98 4.6
        ~~~~~~
        E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
        E30 325i SOLD
        E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
        E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_world View Post
          Best opener is marantec belt drive. They are whisper quite and tough as nails. Pricey tho. Try and stick with a belt drive with a solid track. Most off the shelf GDO will have everything packed in a box. This means the track will be in 3-4 pieces and causes the trolley to bounce and add stress. I'd also go torsion bar up front vs side springs. Most all local installers are
          Thank you!

This is the first I am hearing of Marentec, but they are another German manu and I am intrigued. No one sells them locally and Amazon stocks only the remotes. Am in for a long wait if something fails and I need parts?

What are your thoughts on this:

Comment

direct drive/jackshaft drive

i installed a liftmaster 8500 direct drive in my garage in Seattle and loved it ,super quiet and no vibration and comes with all kinds of security add ons /backups that will let you know if door is closed from your bedroom or work with internet

it leaves the area above the door free which is nice also

LiftMaster is the #1 brand of professionally-installed residential garage door systems and commercial door operators.
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
              i installed a liftmaster 8500 direct drive in my garage in Seattle and loved it ,super quiet and no vibration and comes with all kinds of security add ons /backups that will let you know if door is closed from your bedroom or work with internet

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ies/model-8500
              Thanks for sharing your experience with the LM 8500! I don't have tall / wide cars do the overhead space is not precious. The security features are nice to haves, not must haves for me. I would get this in a hot New York second if the price was closer to $200...

Are you Brian, IronMan's son?

Comment

"Are you Brian, IronMan's son?"

no sorry no relation, names Angus used to live in Renton WA, now located in Castle Rock CO.

its nice to be able to use the area above the garage door for storage ,and also if you want to put a lift in you can used this style opener and reroute the door tracks upward to clear car up on lift. not really much more than others if your starting from scratch for a good lift
                Angus
                88 E30M3 X2
                89 325IX
                92 R100GS/PD
                :)

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                  Thank you!

This is the first I am hearing of Marentec, but they are another German manu and I am intrigued. No one sells them locally and Amazon stocks only the remotes. Am in for a long wait if something fails and I need parts?

What are your thoughts on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5714FHQF93YBEN
                  Where as they are "cool" I've seen a lot of problems with them on low ceilings. If you have 16" or more you'll be fine using it. If you require low head room track, it's not going to work properly. But almost anything lift master makes is pretty good. IMO
                  F80 M3 Alpine
                  E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                  E28 Blackish 535i
                  E21 Silver 320i
                  Disco1 98 4.6
                  ~~~~~~
                  E30 325i SOLD
                  sigpic

Comment

"Are you Brian, IronMan's son?"

no sorry no relation, names Angus used to live in Renton WA, now located in Castle Rock CO.

its nice to be able to use the area above the garage door for storage ,and also if you want to put a lift in you can used this style opener and reroute the door tracks upward to clear car up on lift. not really much more than others if your starting from scratch for a good lift
                    Got it. The overhead storage would be nice!

I think Brian's username is SpecRaceM5 or something like that :)

Where as they are "cool" I've seen a lot of problems with them on low ceilings. If you have 16" or more you'll be fine using it. If you require low head room track, it's not going to work properly. But almost anything lift master makes is pretty good. IMO
                    Cool, thanks for the insight. How about reliability on the Marentec? As mentioned above, their distribution channel is a little obscure.

Comment

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ies/model-8500
                      This 100%!
                      I love mine
                      As long as you have torsion springs.
                      Dollar for dollar any Chamberlain/Sears spin off is good enough for a well balanced torsion/extension spring door.
                      No Stanley
                      No Genie screw drive if your winters get below freezing
                      This is year 23 for me in the overhead door industry.

Comment

Raynor and Allister used to make a damn good opener. Not sure if they still kept up the quality though.

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone needing any on them. They are built very well. High end distributors should stock them no problem.
                          F80 M3 Alpine
                          E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                          E28 Blackish 535i
                          E21 Silver 320i
                          Disco1 98 4.6
                          ~~~~~~
                          E30 325i SOLD
                          sigpic

Comment

Interesting thread. My biggest beef is that my remotes, with fresh batteries, sometimes work about 90 feet away and other times they don't work 5 feet away. It's a Genie screw drive.

Who has the best remote reception?
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Interesting thread. My biggest beef is that my remotes, with fresh batteries, sometimes work about 90 feet away and other times they don't work 5 feet away. It's a Genie screw drive.

Who has the best remote reception?
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                              X