No announcement yet.

What constitutes as a threat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threat - Legal Definition. n. A declaring of one's intention to cause harm or loss to another's person or property or to limit one's freedom to act in a lawful voluntary manner (a threat to kidnap).

So legally, sounds like it was a threat. Now, whether you could/would be charged with a crime is probably not going to happen, but just because something isn't criminal doesn't mean it isn't incredibly stupid to say to your superiors.

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
    to any HR department that's definitely a problem, and probably a disciplinary issue.

Dumbass.

x1000

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

I formulate flavors at an E - Juice warehouse with about 15 workers max. We're all family and where we are constantly joking about mild to disgusting stuff. They know I have a blue collar to fine dining background. Construction, mechanic to server.

My 'superiors' probably talk shit more than anyone there. Honestly, anything I say there is by there example. Does it excuse what I said? No.

The background of the situation was I was asking for their input on how to ask the owner to get around his 'non over time' policy. Imo, I was aggressively harassed by them and the other co workers... and more so than anyone else in the usual situations.

They know that I have, atm, a good amount of bills and duty to raise my god daughter. My income to spending ratio is pretty bad and I don't have much wiggle room, if any, after taxes with my income cap each month. The stress this brings me is known and the 'input' I was given was unacceptable by anyone's standards.

Before anything happened, I geared up on my moto and told some one since I was early I'd be coming back during the proper time for my shift. After coming back, the two supervisors approached me and continued to aggravate the situation by chastising me for showing up on time and saying that 'getting my feelings hurt' is no excuse. That is when I said I left because if I was there longer I feel like I was about to kick some one's ass. (Specifically theirs)

TL ; DR: well you don't have to read that haha.

By the legal definitions linked earlier, this isn't a threat but I know how it can be interpreted as such. I looked up what constitutes as work place harassment/bullying in CA and it fits the bill. It will never been seen that way and I will be the lone man in this situation. If I'm allowed to still work there groveling and apologizing will be the only option. Surprisingly the owner sees both sides and as the whole situation as a misunderstanding.

Thanks for your responses. It doesn't make me any less angry but it does give me better perspective. I don't know what I'm going to do when we have that 'meeting' on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
        I formulate flavors at an E - Juice warehouse with about 15 workers max. We're all family and where we are constantly joking about mild to disgusting stuff. They know I have a blue collar to fine dining background. Construction, mechanic to server.

My 'superiors' probably talk shit more than anyone there. Honestly, anything I say there is by there example. Does it excuse what I said? No.

The background of the situation was I was asking for their input on how to ask the owner to get around his 'non over time' policy. Imo, I was aggressively harassed by them and the other co workers... and more so than anyone else in the usual situations.

They know that I have, atm, a good amount of bills and duty to raise my god daughter. My income to spending ratio is pretty bad and I don't have much wiggle room, if any, after taxes with my income cap each month. The stress this brings me is known and the 'input' I was given was unacceptable by anyone's standards.

Before anything happened, I geared up on my moto and told some one since I was early I'd be coming back during the proper time for my shift. After coming back, the two supervisors approached me and continued to aggravate the situation by chastising me for showing up on time and saying that 'getting my feelings hurt' is no excuse. That is when I said I left because if I was there longer I feel like I was about to kick some one's ass. (Specifically theirs)
        Quite frankly speaking, this was a bad move. They don't have to care about your situation or your problems, and it reality they would never put you over themselves. This world only owes anyone the opportunity for hard work - it does not care whether you succeed or not and it will be just as harsh on either outcome. School yard attitudes and adolescence have no place in the adult world and it would probably do you best to learn to control your emotion and stay calm under any stormy condition. That is the only way to get ahead, because it never gets easier if you adopt the other attitude.

For your current situation, you're probably best to find another job. Your future there is only controlled by them. They will decide who gets the raise, who gets the promotion...and you've already shown you're not capable to them. Even if you grovel the damage is done, and it will take an enormous amount of time to build back that trust. And it just may not be worth it. Take your licks and move on, but learn from it as well.

Life is a progression, it moves from dependence as a child to independence as an adolescent to interdependence as an adult. The world is a very small place and burning bridges and verbally attacking others is no way to build your interdependence network. Plus it only shows you are not in control of your emotions and probably not worthy to be in other's network as well. You will end up very independent but unfortunately alone. Only a child blames others for their emotions.

Comment

Sounds like a shitty company i would look for a new job anyways
          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by gte175x View Post
            Only a child blames others for their emotions.
            Doesn't seem like you understood at all what I've been explaining. I know what I said was wrong but in every situation it takes two to tango. I don't have a perfect coping mechanism and 95% of the time I let things go. Yet life is too short for the other 5%. Especially when these managers, who are perceived as friends more than managers ( by everyone) , seemed to enjoy harassing me when I was down. Btw, not the first time at least one of them has done that over something so trivial. And one reason why I have so little money is a pile of hospital bills acquired for being an epileptic. They know that.

You are right though, that only a lot of time, if I act perfectly, will heal this. The silver lining is that while I was waiting for the owner to meet me at a bar, to discuss this, I met a guy who is going to send my name for an interview for one of the worlds largest data storage companies.

So my turn. If everyone could manage their anger as perfectly like you, there would be no such thing as war. History seems to prove that your the exception. I'm glad you enjoy calling me a child and loner; there there is no ill will because I understand why.

Thanks again y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
              Doesn't seem like you understood at all what I've been explaining. I know what I said was wrong but in every situation it takes two to tango. I don't have a perfect coping mechanism and 95% of the time I let things go. Yet life is too short for the other 5%. Especially when these managers, who are perceived as friends more than managers ( by everyone) , seemed to enjoy harassing me when I was down. Btw, not the first time at least one of them has done that over something so trivial. And one reason why I have so little money is a pile of hospital bills acquired for being an epileptic. They know that.

You are right though, that only a lot of time, if I act perfectly, will heal this. The silver lining is that while I was waiting for the owner to meet me at a bar, to discuss this, I met a guy who is going to send my name for an interview for one of the worlds largest data storage companies.

So my turn. If everyone could manage their anger as perfectly like you, there would be no such thing as war. History seems to prove that your the exception. I'm glad you enjoy calling me a child and loner; there there is no ill will because I understand why.

Thanks again y'all.
              Well - I was not trying to call you a child, but rather let you know what a child does. However, I can see how you would take it that way, so I apologize for that.

And I am definitely not perfect, because you can ask me how I know what I said to be true. Only through my own experience. And I had wished that someone would have given it to me straight and clear as I tried to. But maybe what was not my place - so I apologize.

Emotions are a funny thing, because even though they are externally activated, they are completely internally generated. And you have to ability to control them. No matter what anyone does to provoke you, it's your reaction that will drive the situation. But again, perhaps I am preaching when I am not supposed to so I will leave it at that.

Comment

Life is a progression
                Progress is a myth.
                91 325iX - magnaflow, h&r sports+bilstein hds, chip

Comment

However, I can see how you would take it that way, so I apologize for that.
                  "i'm sorry you took what i said the wrong way" is the most cowardly non-apology apology ever.
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                    "i'm sorry you took what i said the wrong way" is the most cowardly non-apology apology ever.
                    I've worked at fortune 100 companies and "Sorry you took it the wrong way" isn't cowardly, it's business - and said all the time. Along with "I guess you didn't hear me", and "You should really re-read that memo." In life, yes, that's a d-bag not owning up to what he did.

As someone else smartly said, the work atmosphere really sets the tone for the work place. If you're boss says things like "If you knuckle heads don't get this pallet loaded on the truck before it leaves, I'm going to have sex with your wife" That's a totally different story then a buttoned up office setting.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

As someone else smartly said, the work atmosphere really sets the tone for the work place. If you're boss says things like "If you knuckle heads don't get this pallet loaded on the truck before it leaves, I'm going to have sex with your wife" That's a totally different story then a buttoned up office setting.
                      Honestly man, that's crossing the line no matter where you work.
                      I understand what you are saying, and totally agree, but bad example.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Ok - I may have exaggerated that a bit. Thanks for calling me on that.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                        X