Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a college degree really worth it anymore???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a college degree really worth it anymore???

Im 34, have a good job and have my Investment licenses (Series 7 & 63, plus my Life/Health Insurance license). I went to college right out of high school studied Mechanical Engineering, but was an idiot, partied too much and my grades (and GPA) tanked. For maybe the last 5-6 years I have slowly started taking classes again for a degree in Business with a concentration in finance. This is a relevant degree for my career. The last 3 times Ive applied to the Universities Ive always been immediately denied because my cumulative GPA blows. My GPA for the recent business stuff is a 3.8 though, but I cant get anyone to give me a shot. I spent over $500 in applications and transcripts this last go 'round and was convinced that I would get something but nobody accepted me. Im at the point where I feel like Im wasting my time. I dont know for sure that it will do anything for my career.

Im just curious if I should even bother anymore, its really gutting when I get rejection letters especially after spending so much time & money.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

I have a degree in business admin (same thing actually) but with a focus on marketing and HR. For my program we had to take equal aspects of accounting and finance too, so it's a pretty well-rounded program.

To be perfectly honest, no it's not worth it. You'll have more luck putting that effort and time you want to put into school, into finding a job that gives you a better work life balance. Money isn't everything. Job satisfaction and life balance is, especially in a financial climate where everything is becoming unobtainable (housing, food etc...maybe that's just Canada) and everyone wants YOUR job.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Yes.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Lots of opportunities out there. My family lives pretty comfortably off my sole income, but I know if I want to reach my goals where I'm at, I will eventually need a degree....

Have you tried a community college? At least that way you could take some classes to work up your GPA. This is my plan, I just have to get our life settled (house) and I will be going for it.

I don't believe anyone can say whether or not College is worth it. That depends entirely on you and your situation. If I wasn't set on climbing the ladder and eventually running the place that I'm at in the long term, then there would be no reason for me to spend the money on a degree I won't use.
        Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 04-14-2016, 03:51 AM.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Worth it.

Comment

For what you do it's definitely worth it, especially if you change companies. Most places now use online applications with key flags and if you aren't checking that degree box you're automatically weeded out.

That said, I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago, even down to the degrees. What worked for me was sitting down with the admissions office of the institution I wanted to attend and working out what I needed to do to get in. My GPA from my previous school wasn't good enough to transfer in, but if I did a course at local community college I could technically "transfer" from there to get around the flags. I did have what equated to a probationary year where I wasn't actually in the program I wanted to make sure I could handle it, but it afforded me time to take some prerequisites I needed.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Unless you dream is to be a feminist or weld its way worth it.
              willschnitz

Comment

Usually i'd say yes, but it really depends. In the startup/tech side it really doesn't matter if you went/go to school, but you need to have the skills.

I have plenty of friends in the field without formal educations, but ultimately, this space demands constant learning and focus to stay relevant. More important than a degree is the drive, interest and curiosity it takes to be successful.

edit: fwiw, I went to college and my degree helped me get started professionally and have a good foundation in design.
                '89 318i Touring
                '90 Miata

Comment

Tell that to the millions of graduates drowning in debt because they aren't making enough to live and pay their loans. (Referring to the feminist/welder comment.)
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                    Unless you dream is to be a feminist or weld its way worth it.

what have you got against welders?

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      Have you tried a community college? At least that way you could take some classes to work up your GPA.
                      this seems like a good approach to me.

my story is pretty similar; during high school and my first round of college i was pretty much a fuckoff. after i'd "paid" for it with a deployment, i had a lot more skin in the game and came out with a 3.8 as well. if i had the time to keep taking classes, i'd be at de anza using their auto shop and taking another class that's somehow interesting to me; whether that be art, poli-sci, whatever.

are any of the schools you're applying to nearby? if so, trying the "face time" approach with enrollment counselors in person might get more traction than submission by mail?
                      past:
                      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:
                      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by 2761377 View Post
                        what have you got against welders?
                        I'm pretty sure he was saying that college isn't where one learns to weld...
                        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
                          I'm pretty sure he was saying that college isn't where one learns to weld...
                          Yeah that was the whole point, you dont go to college for things that wont make you any more money as a result.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Short answer yes. It opens a lot of doors. Go to communtiy college take some courses to improve your gpa and try again. Sometimes you gotta take a step back to take two forward.

Comment

In the end, the name of the game is "pay to play". That college degree will be worth it at the expense of student loan debt. If you choose to not go, remember that your options will be limited so hopefully you have a solid gig as is. I have contemplated this as well, but because of the recession 8 years ago and the ever changing job market, I have been extremely cautious on borrowing money.
                              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                              X