Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the floor down, but I screwed up and learned a lesson in grout. I think I cleaned it too soon and used too much water, it lightened up pretty bad after this photo, everywhere except the corners where I didn't mess with it much. Picked up some Aqua mix seal n enhance yesterday and tried a spot, seemed to help out some. Going to seal it all tonight and hope for the best. If I can't deal with it, I guess I get to cut it out and try again.

New pex plumbing everywhere I could get to, new insulation down below, and ended up returning the OSB in favor of some 23/32 BC plywood. Father in law came down to help me install the board and tiles. Now we are on the hunt for a new vanity, and next project will be removing the shower liner in favor of a tile wall. Part of me still wants to remove the tub, divider wall, and do a 100% tile shower.
    Attached Files
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Here's after another wipe down to get the haze off, grout was about 24hours in and shows how light it got. It is even though, lighting makes the one spot appear much worse.
      Attached Files
      No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Tile shower pans are really hard to seal up. Generally, they always end up leaking somewhere in the long run. The corners of the vinyl liner or where the drain penetrates the sheathing or both. I only do them on concrete slabs where it doesn't matter. If you want to switch out your tub, I highly (as in HIGHLY) recommend the acrylic shower pan I posted a photo of a couple pages back.

Your tile work looks great, btw.....
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Agree with Flyboyx about the fully tile shower. I did one recently, but my shower sits on concrete at grade. If it had been sitting on wood, I would not have done the tile floor, regardless of how much the wife complained.

Also, while the cheapie 200 dollar basic tile saw will easily do the trick for you when it comes to tile floors, the same cannot be said for doing a tile shower (at least, if you care about craftsmanship/quality). I had to pony up over 500 dollars for the sliding table tile saw in order to attain the level of quality I desired. Just something to keep in mind if you want to start placing tile anywhere other than a floor.

Your work looks great though. Which reminds me, I need to get some pictures up of my finished bedroom!
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

This is how I did my kitchen

We outsourced for the tile floor but the older gentleman did an awesome job. And this is my shower. It is getting a glass tempered door in the next month.

It has a schluter drain system that is slick and tile guy loved it along with the drain. That is on wood, I did two layers of Advantix flooring osb, one the sub floor the other the flooring then the tile over it.
            Last edited by M-technik-3; 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

^ those shower panels are awesome! We just installed one and it took a fraction of the time to install, plus its large enough to cover screw holes from the original system.
              Just hook up the hot and cold and done!

Comment

Yeah my upstairs has jets on two sides. Tankless hot water heater equals endless relaxation if you choose to pay the gas bill and water bill. I toy with getting a hot tube but feel it would be wasted electricity.

Comment

Do you think your shower has enough knobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    Here's after another wipe down to get the haze off, grout was about 24hours in and shows how light it got. It is even though, lighting makes the one spot appear much worse.
                    I installed those exact same tiles in the house we just sold and experienced the same grout problem. I suspected I used too much water when wiping down. I dig the wood plank look!

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                      Do you think your shower has enough knobs?
                      Nope, from side it looks nuts. But here is a straight on. Top is for the overhead, next is for the first three jets at chest level, next is the next three jets and next is the wand and lastly is the temp.

Sit on the seat do the steam bath thing or go to work and use the sauna at the gym. Great way to start the day and company pays for it via reduction in insurance because I use the gym.

Comment

I appreciate the kind words but I can't take credit for the tile work. Let the pro lay it down and I kept cutting and feeding them to him.

Sealed the grout with aqua mix enhance/sealer. Happy with the results so far, let's hope it holds!

Lesson learned. More setup time and less water!
                        Attached Files
                        No E30 Club

Comment

That rectangular cut out is fha duct work? Like the tile need to see a walk in shot when it's done.

That said when I had this house on the market briefly before I decided to stay in it, everyone loved the walk in shower but the realtor mentioned a few negative comments about lack of a tun for children. Odd because that is where many kid deaths occurs from just that a tub and lack of supervision.

Comment

I want that shower. Just scrolled through and saw your posts. Beautiful!

Yeah the hole is for the ac duct. Got a nice register to put in but it looks like I need to fab up some ducting from the floor to the main. It was a rectangle the whole way, and I can't find anything that fits.
                            No E30 Club

Comment

When you gutted the interior you put a nice quiet exhaust fan in correct? Nothing kills mood of shower time like a clanky exhaust fan. I opted for one with heat, exhaust and a led night light and just a normal light. They now have them with a humidity sensor so when your kids or who ever fails to turn on the fan it comes on at a preset level that way your drywall MR board does not get moldy.

I suck at drywall and now I work for a commercial metal framing/drywall company.

Comment

I second the comment on the exhaust fan. I got a cheap fan and had to rip it out immediately. Way too loud.

I recommend a Delta.
                                In the other bathroom remodel I hired an electrician due to running new wire, switches etc. and he sourced a Delta fan/light combo and it was barely audible.

Comment

Working...
                                X