Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reposting this pics, but for a different reason... I need your help/ advice

I want to build a work bench area in the back of the garage, to the right of the tool box (when you're looking at the pic).

I have a hammer, and a tape measure but pretty much nothing else really in the woodworking dept. Need a suggestion of basic tools and ideas on materials needed. Basically looking for a table that can hold an engine block (m20 ;) ) strong enough to anchor a vice, a shelf underneath for stashing stuff. Nothing too crazy especially since my wife will be backing her SUV nearly into the bench, so maybe some safeguards also to prevent her from destroying it haha

thanks
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Build the entire structure of the bench out of 2x4s, put a sacrificial plywood top on it. Fasten it all together with carriage bolts.

Tools beyond what you have:

Circular saw - $20 used
      Coarse and fine blade for saw - $15
      Drill - $20 used
      Drill bit for carriage bolt shank size - $3
      Countersink or step drill bit to recess the head of the carriage bolts - $5

^
      Ideally you should borrow those tools and their owner if you have zero experience.

1 sheet 3/4" ply - $25
      12-16 2x4s - $30-40
      Hardware - $30

The best safeguard to prevent collision is a block fixed to the floor that will effectively stop the vehicle via tire contact.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you. I have a drill and Im not afraid to use it. Its the saw's that I dont have.

I will update this when I finish it off.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Reposting this pics, but for a different reason... I need your help/ advice

I want to build a work bench area in the back of the garage, to the right of the tool box (when you're looking at the pic).

I have a hammer, and a tape measure but pretty much nothing else really in the woodworking dept. Need a suggestion of basic tools and ideas on materials needed. Basically looking for a table that can hold an engine block (m20 ;) ) strong enough to anchor a vice, a shelf underneath for stashing stuff. Nothing too crazy especially since my wife will be backing her SUV nearly into the bench, so maybe some safeguards also to prevent her from destroying it haha

thanks
          Youtube is good for this, and if you dont live under a rock on YT you have seen at least one of this guys vids pop up, Cody aka Wrangerlstar is building exctally want you want right now. I would do like him and use all thread and not carriage bolts but thats me.... I am still trying to get my all inlaws shit out of my shop and move into to it for the last 2 years and I am going to build a bench like this for general use outside of welding and very oily things once I have the room to do so

Many of our videos are comedic & satirical & not intended to cultivate antisocial or unlawful behavior. Thank you for supporting our Channel through the belo...
          Last edited by mrsleeve; 09-19-2019, 12:54 PM.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Carriage bolts are nice because of the square section that you tap in place, which holds the bolt and normally stops it from turning when you fasten it. The other bonus is that the bolts don't snag on things the way allthread or exposed nuts might. Granted allthread is cheaper, and you can always countersink it so it's not proud of the surface.

That's a nice worktop in the vid, but it's overkill, and you should always have a sacrificial top unless you really like splinters/an ugly bench. Metal tops are also nice, but can be expensiveish.

Comment

Look into adding some caster wheels from harbor freight, locking ones. It would make it a lot easier to move engine blocks in and out of your garage. I don't know about your garage but I don't have a tall enough ceiling too hoist motors up high enough to hoist motors. Just a Idea

You can do a lot with a jig saw, no need for much more IMO.
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Carriage bolts are nice because of the square section that you tap in place, which holds the bolt and normally stops it from turning when you fasten it. The other bonus is that the bolts don't snag on things the way allthread or exposed nuts might. Granted allthread is cheaper, and you can always countersink it so it's not proud of the surface.

That's a nice worktop in the vid, but it's overkill, and you should always have a sacrificial top unless you really like splinters/an ugly bench. Metal tops are also nice, but can be expensiveish.
                I dont disagree with a sacrificial top for a lot of what car guys do if your bench is wood. I have a 8x3 all steel shop bench that I have for all that kinda thing (though I need to put a couple stringers under it to stiffen it up at somepoint) The all-thread leaves room to cinch things up down then line if need be, and with a carriage bolt you have to counter sink the threaded end with the nut anyway, so why not just take an extra 5 min and counter sink both face plates and do it that way to gain serviceability in the future.

I really need to work on getting my shop in a work able state but its 2 weeks worth of work just to get it organized to the point of starting to organize it
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                X