question about OBDII scan tool/readers in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about OBDII scan tool/readers in general

If you are looking to just read the code the CEL is throwing for newer OBDII cars (early 2000s) and can find out what it means via the internet, what is the difference between a 20 dollar tool and the ones that cost 300?
    Just looking to get something for my dad's truck as i can do the work of removal and replacement.

Thanks!

i have a cheap one and just look the codes up for the make online. different brands have different meanings for certain codes.

Comment

If you have a smartphone, I would just use Torque Pro and a BT OBD-II dongle to read/reset codes. It's probably one of the cheapest ways to go.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        If you have a smartphone, I would just use Torque Pro and a BT OBD-II dongle to read/reset codes. It's probably one of the cheapest ways to go.
        This is what I do for everything other than my e30.

Not sure why, but my bluetooth dongle doesn't work on my M52 harness. INPA works well/better for it anyway, but a netbook + cable is somewhat more clunky than a phone.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Some of the more expensive ones give live data amount other things

Comment

Thanks for the replies, i will have him use him phone and show him how to use it with the bluetooth deal :)

Comment

Working...
            X