Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LateFan
    replied
    I vote 2.5 liter NA, any number of cylinders, limit rpm to something...12,000?, min weight limit, underbody aero allowed...what else....maybe energy recapture on braking for an acceleration boost..?

It's got to have some redeeming research component - that piece I linked talks about Le Mans' beginnings as a testbed for automotive research and safety. Modern headlight development came out of Le Mans.

< EDIT > ...wait a sec...is a 427 GT Corvette going to be faster than a NA 2.5 V8 / V10...? That wouldn't work.
    Last edited by LateFan; 08-02-2017, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    I knew it was gonna happen. Next year lmp2 and the gt classes will be all the races. And i mean really. I dont even pay attention to the lmp1 class cause there is zero competition. GT racing is where its at. I'm sure if they could bring the cost down to around the lmp2 cost more teams would come back.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Le Mans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	7192614

WEC LMP1 is just too expensive...

Group C's demise before that...
    Group C was one of the greatest eras in racing history, producing the fastest cars to ever run the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. The story of how it died was, sadly, one that it should have seen coming.

Both of them completely manipulated by people like Bernie E for bald profit.

Leave a comment:

• Jb325is
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Seems like there Isn't many manufacturers racing this year. Especially in the prototype series
    Just kind of the ebb and flow of racing. LMP1 costs have become astronomical and aren't attracting manufacturers. The ACO has interest from other manufacturers that want to come into LMP1 if there is a cost cap, but that probably means losing Toyota and Porsche who have already made the investment. Tricky situation. There is a lot of manufacturer involvement in GTE, more coming next year with BMW and I think that class is as healthy as it's been in a long time. P2 has gone with spec engines with 4 chassis options, so no room for manufacturer involvement under ACO rules (see IMSA WeatherTech series).

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    [ATTACH]115086[/ATTACH]

Too bad about Taylor's Corvette and the last lap flat, but what a battle. Also, too bad about all the P1s blowing up.

One driver said the P2s were like giving a drunk an AK-47. All over the track, slamming into people and fences.
    Agreed. I am a fan of the Taylor family, and I hate that it happened to him but it was awesome to watch. Tough but fair racing in my opinion, considering what was at stake. I've seen Jonny Adam do some really dumb stuff in other series so I was expecting much worse, but he drove really well to keep the pressure on. It would have been interesting to see if the 911 would have had anything for them, I think they've been playing the game pretty well this year and that car is better than they're making it out to be... It always comes on curiously strong @ the end of the big races and it looked like it was doing it again if not for the puncture that threw them off cycle

Hate it for Toyota, I like what they're doing right now.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied

Name:	wbcquoop07g0gpjlrohz.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	7192142

Too bad about Taylor's Corvette and the last lap flat, but what a battle. Also, too bad about all the P1s blowing up.

One driver said the P2s were like giving a drunk an AK-47. All over the track, slamming into people and fences.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Seems like there Isn't many manufacturers racing this year. Especially in the prototype series

Leave a comment:

• e30rapidic
    replied
    if you have Roku, FOX Sports is streaming it for the full 24 hours. Haven't checked my AppleTV yet.

Brandon - The documentary series looks pretty good as well, watched the first 4 episodes last night.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]115040[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115041[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115042[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115043[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115044[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]115035[/ATTACH]

First Qual session was 10PM to Midnight
    [ATTACH]115036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115038[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115039[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]115031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]115034[/ATTACH]

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Photo dumpage...

Name:	5933accc28da1.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	7192098

Name:	593d43d3d4513.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7192099

Name:	593eac5aa0e36.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	7192100

Name:	5932d70151cf2.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	7192101

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    No cable here. I usually end up on Radio Lemans, and try to find a video stream somewhere. Corvette Racing used to provide good in-car feeds.

Toyota P1 has set a track record...

"When the session resumed, Kobayashi was sent out early in the No. 7 Toyota and managed to hit the track in perfect conditions, lighting the timesheets purple as he encountered next-to-no traffic.

Aided by tailwinds on the main straight and headwinds through the Porsche Curves, Kobayashi crossed the line to record a time of 3:14.791 – the fastest ever lap at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

The time was over two seconds faster than Neel Jani’s existing pole record of 3:16.887 for Porsche in 2015, and even beat Hans-Joachim Stuck’s average speed record of 251.815 km/h from 1985, dialing in at 251.9 km/h.

Kobayashi’s effort may have sparked celebrations in the Toyota garage, but the Japanese marque’s session was not without its issues as an oil supply issue caused the No. 8 car to slow early on.

Toyota opted to complete a precautionary engine change that took up most of the session, with Sebastien Buemi only returning to the track in the final 10 minutes."

Name:	VSA_FIAWEC_LM17_SP2_3122.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	7192083

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
    Got the DVR set to record what will be televised. I suspect Fox Sports will be carrying a live stream for the hours not on TV?

Jon

Nismo has also been doing live streams on youtube of all the races in full. Thats how i usually watch the WEC and blancpain series. But I'm honestly not sure if they are at Le mans this year.

Leave a comment:

• Jon325i
    replied
    Got the DVR set to record what will be televised. I suspect Fox Sports will be carrying a live stream for the hours not on TV?

Jon

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]114975[/ATTACH]

Extra points for the accurate map.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X