Project: Gravely Model L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Gravely Model L

I decided I wanted to work on something that was NOT a car, so I bout a 2 wheeled tractor. I have been around Gravely my whole life, my dad has a 8183 4 wheel rider. So I know they are great machines and last forever.

I was browsing flebay and saw a bid listing for this one and a commercial 10 with a few attachments (snow blower, snow cannon, snow plow, rotary plow, sulky, 2 30" decks). So let the bidding war begin. My brother and I ended up paying $100 more then what we originally agreed to go to (always happens when you really want something). So off to Ohio at 3pm to pick everything up and come home (4 hour drive each way).

The next day I unloaded everything and started on the 1966-1975 7.6 hp 2 wheeled tractor that I deemed mine. There is no tag on it so I dont know what year exactly it is. I didnt know much about it when I bought it but know I realize it is pretty much loaded, just doesnt have electric start.

This is the day I unloaded everything and decided to work on mine. I took the hood off so I could clean everything better and easier. I sprayed it down with Chemical Guys Signature series Orange Degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I pressure washed it off.

After it was clean I wanted to see if it would start up. So I cleaned out the old varnished gas with acetone from the tank, replaced the fuel line and didnt really have to clean the carb because they drained the gas the last time the PO used it. Put new gas in and nothing... Redid the timing and still nothing even with a new spark plug. Well off came the magneto. I opened it up to fined it was recently fully rebuilt and the points where corroded just enough to not make contact anymore. Also found under the magneto mounting plate it was so dirty and corroded that it couldnt complete the ground side of the circuit to the spark plug, so cleaned that off and used dielectric grease and put it all back together.

First pull and it started right up. So now I know it runs and runs strong. I started to tear it apart and sandblast the smaller stuff in my cabinet.

I wasnt sure how to do the main tractor...hummmm. So it was time take a trip to Harbor freight for a 110 lbs pressure abrasive blaster and 2 50 lbs boxes of 70 grit black aluminum oxide.

It worked extremely well. It took a few minutes to do the jug and block. Took a little longer for the main part of the tractor because it blows through the medium fast and you need to clean it up, sift it and dump it back in the tank.

This is after 10 seconds of sandblasting fast.

Then we painted the jug with black grill paint.

I didnt feel like bending over to blast the tractor so out came the engine lift.

Then came rest of the tractor with Fiesta Red.

After all of that the oil pump was leaking oil out of both seals. I ordered the seals and gaskets and replaced them to fix the problem. I also decided to push my luck and take the head off (head bolts snap commonly on these) and luckly no bolts snapped. The jug is in good shape and it has a .020" over sized piston in it, so its been rebuilt 1 or 2 times before. Not to bad for a ~45 year old motor. The engine can be rebuilt up to .040" over so its still good. I also adjusted the valves, they were touching the lifters because the jug settles over time. Now they have a .015" gap on intake and exhaust.

Thats all I have done so far. More to come.
    Last edited by 88BlackS-ETA; 07-01-2017, 09:22 PM.

Feedback Thread

Where in PA are you? Want a wood chipper? We have one for a Gravely that we need to get rid of. Looks like it's in good shape, don't think it ever got much use.

Comment

Got pictures? Price? I live in Lewisberry, PA 17339. Distance is no problem, just need the dimensions.
      Last edited by 88BlackS-ETA; 06-17-2016, 01:26 PM.

Feedback Thread

Comment

I'll get some info for you in a few days when I'm back home. No clue what it's worth, so I'll have to do some research. It's fairly bulky though, maybe 2ft x 3ft and about 5ft tall.

You're about 2.5 hours from me, not too far from where my mom is from (Hanover).

Edit: There's also a sprayer if you're interested in that as well. I think it does 500PSI if I remember right.
        Last edited by rturbo 930; 06-17-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

oh man nice, Ill take some pictures of the stuff me and my dad restored.

Similar stuff, walk behind tractors, planet Jr, and I forget the other 1

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I'm his brother. I have a bunch if project ones I purchased the last 2 months.

In picture:

8123, 8179-kt, and an unknown. 50", 50", 60", and wing deck.

GMT 9000 That we own 50-50. 72" belly deck and 50" wing deck.

Comment

that 9000 is something you could actually do a little work with.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                that 9000 is something you could actually do a little work with.
                Was told the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and shortly after it lost reverse and was torn apart for paint and fixing but the previous owner got sick.

Comment

Small update. I finished painting the engine block. I ordered a new fan shroud (mine was f**ked up to badly) and sandblasted then painted it. Painted the fan, hitch, other brackets and nuts/bolts. Then started to put it back together. I found the fan was hitting the jug with 2 of the blades so on and off that came ~5 times until I bent the fan blades far enough out to clear. I also got the 2 side air deflectors in and painted as well (they were missing when I got the tractor).

Closer to being done but still far away. Need to sandblast the hood and handle bars then get the hood front edge fixed and reinforced. Paint all that crap and try to get everything back together. Also have new tires coming and already have the tubes for them. The rims need split apart and painted also.
                  Last edited by 88BlackS-ETA; 07-01-2017, 09:26 PM.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Went and split the rims apart and started to sandblast them to find out the first one I did had rust holes straight through the lips...So new ones were ordered and when they came in I sandblasted them and painted them canvas white. I painted all the oil related items satin black and put all of it on, even a new oil pressure gauge. I cleaned the bottom of the magneto housing off and where it mounts to, I also put a coating of dielectric grease on both surfaces to keep it good. The paint on the one rim is still drying. I need to get the rim and tire back together so I can put it out of the way and bring my E30 back in, supposed to get a bad storm with hail...

Last edited by 88BlackS-ETA; 07-01-2017, 09:27 PM.

Feedback Thread

Comment

sweet.

have you thought about getting ag tread tires instead? they seem like they will be more useful.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        sweet.

have you thought about getting ag tread tires instead? they seem like they will be more useful.
                        He has a set of chains that came with it.

Comment

Excellent restoration! I have an old toro snowblower that i'll be doing something similar to before winter hits.
                          Instagram
                          sigpic
                          Current: 99 M3
                          Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Aw man this is great! I grew up with gravely two wheelers. That looks incredible. Great job!!
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pennsylvanians and their tractors :P

Good looking work as always!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                              X