No announcement yet.

Mopeds: Projects, Builds, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha oh man, I had a lil 71 AT125 that was "cafe'd" out if you will, nicknamed it the chainsaw, still the sketchiest and one of the funnest bikes I've ridden on the street

that one you got there is way cleaner and cooler though, i would get her running, clean her up, and rock it just like that!

EDIT: found a pic of it

Comment

So decided to drain the tank on my new Yamaha and work on getting the crud and corrosion out and clean the carb. There was only a little bit of old gas in the tank but it was black and gritty. No telling how long that had been in there.
      [IMG][/IMG]

I am doing the vinegar and salt treatment to the tank, it isn't too bad so harsh chemicals shouldn't be necessary but we will see after I let the vinegar sit.

I then moved onto the carburetor. This was kind of my specialty with the mopeds so I felt pretty good about that. I will need a new seal kit but whatever. I got it all cleaned up and should be good to go once I get it all back in and gas flowing through.

I did run into something on this carb that is a little different from the moped carbs, there is a little thin hose coming off of it that wasn't connected to anything, pictured here:
      [IMG][/IMG]

I assume it has something to do with the oil injection system but I can't figure out what, can't find where it would go. I plan to bypass the oil injection and just run pre-mix anyway.

There there is this little inlet that had nothing connected to it coming off the bowl:
      [IMG][/IMG]

There was nothing connected to it and I can't find any loose hoses anywhere. Not sure why there would be an inlet going up through the bottom of the float bowl anyway.

Anyone work with an old oil injected 2 stroke wit a carb like this and know what's up with these two things?
      2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
      1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
      1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
      1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
        I am doing the vinegar and salt treatment to the tank, it isn't too bad so harsh chemicals shouldn't be necessary but we will see after I let the vinegar sit.
        Depending on how bad it is Ive heard mixed things about the vinegar trick, honestly if the tank has any rust in it at all I go with the POR15 fuel tank treatment and sealer kit, great stuff when applied right, waaaaay better then that "Kream" shit, which I've gone toe to toe with removing in the past, major pain

I did run into something on this carb that is a little different from the moped carbs, there is a little thin hose coming off of it that wasn't connected to anything, pictured here:
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Thats a breather/overflow hose for your bowl, no need to worry thats how its supposed to look

There there is this little inlet that had nothing connected to it coming off the bowl:
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Similar to before, that is another bowl overflow, as well as the drain for the bowl, loosen that flat head screw on the bottom to drain it out if you want to empty the bowl of fuel for storage and what not, typically there is supposed to be a rubber line that runs to the ground to help divert fuel from pooling on the top of the motor, again nothing to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
          Depending on how bad it is Ive heard mixed things about the vinegar trick, honestly if the tank has any rust in it at all I go with the POR15 fuel tank treatment and sealer kit, great stuff when applied right, waaaaay better then that "Kream" shit, which I've gone toe to toe with removing in the past, major pain

Thats a breather/overflow hose for your bowl, no need to worry thats how its supposed to look

Similar to before, that is another bowl overflow, as well as the drain for the bowl, loosen that flat head screw on the bottom to drain it out if you want to empty the bowl of fuel for storage and what not, typically there is supposed to be a rubber line that runs to the ground to help divert fuel from pooling on the top of the motor, again nothing to worry about
          Thanks, after trying some different Google searches I figured it out. I started to think maybe vacuum lines which actually pointed me in the right direction as there are many different explanations to these "vacuum" lines, which are all long-winded ways of telling you that they're vents for excess fuel.

I've got some stuff going on but hopefully I'll have some time today to get the tank cleaned out and maybe get this running before it gets dark tonight.
          1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

The Yamaha is ALIVE! After a good tank cleaning, a carb cleaning, new float and float needle and some clean gas it runs. The choke isn't working right, it doesn't want to stay choked so I have to manually operate the choke leer, which is annoying since it is chilly here today and this thing hasn't run in a while so it needs to be choked for a while, and my fingers and back hurt from being bent over holding the choke down for 5+ minutes. In any event, it feels good to get this bike in non-op condition and bring it back to life. Still need a new front tube and tire but I'm one step closer to being able to ride it.

https://youtu.be/MrFEP19W5Mk
            1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

If anyone is in MD I have a free moped with title that I am going to throw out. Come get it.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                If anyone is in MD I have a free moped with title that I am going to throw out. Come get it.
                I should probably not even entertain this, but where in MD are you? What's the moped?
                1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

It's a 2008 Jonway Moped. I'm in Beltsville, MD.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                  X