dibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dibs

anybody else get tired of the dibs comments? i mean recently i had money to purchase a item off here and some renob calls DIBS, i pm the seller anyways and the guy says he feels he had to honor the dibs claimer. he didnt want to come across as an ass to the guy by selling it to me first.

i come from the school of $$$ talks bs walks.

anyway to abolish the dibs nonsense? or is this something that will be up to the seller to decide?
    any opinions?

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
    anyway to abolish the dibs nonsense? or is this something that will be up to the seller to decide?
    any opinions?
    Ultimately, it comes down to this... The seller has the right to sell the item to whomever he wants. If he want's to follow "dibs", than that is his choice.

I never pay attention to who has dibs because most people send a PM about stuff. The first person who has money for me gets the part.

-Erik

Comment

Yea, I know

I was the seller of the item. The guy that replied first stated that he was having paypal problems and he would take care of it and get the payment to me. While waiting for the payment to arrive, several other members PM'd stating they could send the payment immediately.

At this point I'm kinda stuck waiting for the first guy. If I bail, I'm gonna be an ass for not giving him enough time. At the same time, I'd sure like to get paid and get the stuff sent out ASAP.

In the end the guy claiming "dibs" has not logged on since Saturday, he has not bothered to send an update, and of course, never sent the payment. I waited 24hrs and then sold the item to smonkbmw.

BTW smonkbmw, your box was mailed today. I will PM the postal info to you later today. Thanks!

Comment

Why don't you just post "whoever gets me the money first gets the item. I will not wait for you to straighten out your shit. If you wanna buy your shit should be straight."
        Ther is no reason to "abolish" this on the whole forum. People sell things differently. As the seller you are responsible for how you want to sell the item. Make it clear and there won't be any problems. If you have grey areas people will try to take advantage of them and you.
        Yours truly,
        Rich
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Rigmaster
        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
          Yes, there is a way. Technically, the whole "dibs" bullshit is not supposed to be allowed, and sellers are not supposed to go along with it. This was actually instated by myself.

The item in question/for sale should technically be sold to the first person who states they are able to and then submits payment.

Please see the For Sale fourm rules:

Originally posted by MR 325
          * Please cease the 'dibs' process. It's a waste of time and bandwidth for both sellers and buyers

Comment

There you go. I am now gonna go read the rules of sale post so I don't look like an idiot. I suggest everyone else do the same!:p
            Yours truly,
            Rich
            sigpic

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

i already did!

Comment

I agree. Dibs is lame, but ultimately we cannot enforce who sells what to who. Most sellers are going to take cash ASAP unless they are doing someone a favor by holding it while they get paid or fix their paypal.
                  sigpic

Comment

I totally rocked that thread! Easy read too. Sucks though, there really is no way to enforce it on the seller's side. But I guess if it is done throug pms it doesn't really matter as long as the seller is responsible in posting the status of the products.
                    Yours truly,
                    Rich
                    sigpic

Comment

I personally think dibs is lame, but the seller can sell to whoever the hell they want. You miss out, deal with it.
                      Back to my roots

Comment

Bullshit on all that. Dibs is good with me any day. If I'm selling something, and a guy says he will pay me by Friday or w/e, I'm good with that. After an agreed time though, it's fair game. I just treat people as I would want to be treated.

Bottom line: nothing wrong with DIBS and I'll accept a dib any day of the week! DIBS are good. Shit, I love me some dibs!

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

good thread guys!!!! where are the rest of the "rules"???? i also like RCWELLS statement "I just treat people as I would want to be treated. "
                          :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
                            Yes, there is a way. Technically, the whole "dibs" bullshit is not supposed to be allowed, and sellers are not supposed to go along with it. This was actually instated by myself.
                            How can you say the seller is not supposed to allow "dibs"? He is selling an item, so he can choose who to sell the item to, whether or not they dibbed.

Hell, if I'm selling an item, I could decide who to sell the item to soley by the size of their titties if I really wanted to. You can't enforce who the seller chooses to sell his product to.
                            As Bobby pointed out, not everyone is against the concept of "dibs", so trying to abolish the dib process is stupid.

-Erik

Comment

the problem was

The first guy to reply did say "dibs" (this word should now be treated as profanity) We then agreed on the shipping price and I gave him my paypal info. After a few hours he PM'd about the paypal problems and said he would get back to me ASAP. At this point I'm stuck waiting....I can't say "you have 59 minutes or I will sell to someone else!" I was in fact treating the guy like I would want to be treated.

In the end it's like erik325i said, I can choose whomever I want. 100% of the time I want the guy who pays immediately......this time the guy who replied first was not that person.

Comment

Working...
                              X