No announcement yet.

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheres pantless spency when you need him...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      It where all the locals eat.
      90% of the time, no it's not.

It's usually some place that popped up in the last year or two - becomes the Hot Tuna for the food scene and everyone post a pic of them eating there for the Insta -likes.

Again, it's just lip service for all the tourist recent transplants that are making this town unbearable. Very few of the actual restaurants that the locals frequent make the show. Because they aren't "Portlandia" enough to be "Money.."

https://www.tvfoodmaps.com/s4/Diners...es/OR/Portland

Pine Street - over hyped and stupid long lines with terrible wait staff

Bunk Sandwiches - salty staff to match the overly salty sandwiches, barely anyone local goes there anymore because of the over hype. (Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of me calling the staff Salty in a post laced with more salt than the ocean water.)

Pok Pok - a weird, overly priced version of Thai that seems to attract mostly midwesterner transplants.

Byways Cafe - used to be good before the hype monster ate it up, and not even sure if still open.

Frank's Noodle House - nobody goes here. Ever.

The Tin Shed - was a nice place to go until they fired all the staff when management changed (shortly after Guy graced them with his hair) and they replaced them with rude hipsters.

Swiss Hibiscus - This place seems to attract NYC transplants who just want to hangout and drink water. I walk past it daily and it's literally always empty or closed. Most locals you could probably hold a gun to their head, and they couldn't tell where it actually is.

But that's ok, if you guys like watching him, so be it. I just can't stand him.

I liked Anthony Bourdain's approach and he did seem to have more of an honest, NFG approach to his show.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
        I have no opinion on either of them but I do love this stand up that talks about their "rivalry". I cant find the explicit version anywhere.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zuii2OLI

this standup routine....just.....seems like it was paid for.

I'm pretty sure barney rubble gives this "gallager wannabe" twist action and ballsack tickle bj's on a regular basis in exchange for this oral diarrhea.

I actually like his triple D show. I just don't like him. since I travel several days a week, I've been to a good handful of restaurants he has reviewed on his program and they are pretty damn good down home places generally.

as to djjereme's comments above, I have never been to an establishment he has reviewed in Portlandia.
        Last edited by flyboyx; 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          this standup routine....just.....seems like it was paid for.

I'm pretty sure barney rubble gives this "gallager wannabe" twist action and ballsack tickle bj's on a regular basis in exchange for this oral diarrhea.

1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
          1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
          E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
            90% of the time, no it's not.

It's usually some place that popped up in the last year or two - becomes the Hot Tuna for the food scene and everyone post a pic of them eating there for the Insta -likes.

Again, it's just lip service for all the tourist recent transplants that are making this town unbearable. Very few of the actual restaurants that the locals frequent make the show. Because they aren't "Portlandia" enough to be "Money.."

https://www.tvfoodmaps.com/s4/Diners...es/OR/Portland

Pine Street - over hyped and stupid long lines with terrible wait staff

Bunk Sandwiches - salty staff to match the overly salty sandwiches, barely anyone local goes there anymore because of the over hype. (Yes, I realize the hypocrisy of me calling the staff Salty in a post laced with more salt than the ocean water.)

Pok Pok - a weird, overly priced version of Thai that seems to attract mostly midwesterner transplants.

Byways Cafe - used to be good before the hype monster ate it up, and not even sure if still open.

Frank's Noodle House - nobody goes here. Ever.

The Tin Shed - was a nice place to go until they fired all the staff when management changed (shortly after Guy graced them with his hair) and they replaced them with rude hipsters.

Swiss Hibiscus - This place seems to attract NYC transplants who just want to hangout and drink water. I walk past it daily and it's literally always empty or closed. Most locals you could probably hold a gun to their head, and they couldn't tell where it actually is.

But that's ok, if you guys like watching him, so be it. I just can't stand him.

I liked Anthony Bourdain's approach and he did seem to have more of an honest, NFG approach to his show.
            Man you're obviously too cool for school.

We know Portland is hipster central and you seem determined to be cooler than that.

I guess you hang at Starbuck's and McD's to be ironic.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

It is a bit annoying from a customer standpoint. It's virtually impossible to get a table without waiting an hour or more. Worse than that, the quality of service seems to go straight to shit because they're so busy. Don't get me wrong it's great exposure for the businesses. It just seems like after the spotlight fades the service is never quite the same.

But yes, that post sounded like a yelp review from a real uppity bitch.
              Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                Man you're obviously too cool for school.

We know Portland is hipster central and you seem determined to be cooler than that.

I guess you hang at Starbuck's and McD's to be ironic.
                Yup, totally nailed, that is exactly it. Man, you are so spot on at times, it's amazing.

Or it's that I am just sick of people moving here. Then, yes, guilty as charged.
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Yup, totally nailed, that is exactly it. Man, you are so spot on at times, it's amazing.
                  Or it's that I am just sick of people moving here. Then, yes, guilty as charged.
                  You should come up to Vancouver BC. Everyone hates anyone that isn't white and speaks clear English. Too bad most of these "foreigners" are the ones buying up everything and making the place unaffordable for those born and raised here.

Good times
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The PNW is the hipster's Mecca. Here in Cali, the hipsters can't stop talking about moving up there... You're getting the cream of the crop, breh
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Over Memorial day weekend we spent a few days in Duluth where da wife grew up, we went back to a long standing local place, that Barney Rubble has been a while back.

The place was wall to wall busy, and lined up out the door, for a walk up diner style place with a ton of locals, people the wife recognized but we kept to our selves, and a big number of outa state tags in the lot as well. The place is a little bit outta the way, food was just as she remembered, greasy and deep fried, just "a hell of a lot busier" than she remembers as a kid.

My area is getting over run with the fucking hipsters now to (well the pace of emigration is increasing many from the WA/OR coastal areas and Denver). Tell me, is it a national hipster thing or just my local ones, that they are 2 fucking broke to afford anything so "dumpster diving" is now a fashion statement, or to find items to "re-purpose" to sell to other hipsters????? I mean FFS we have new signage going up, at the county landfill and remote container sites where we can drop of garbage or recycle and even a lot of the business around with dumpsters out back are putting sings up, that say NO SALVAGE on them. I asked a buddy of mine about this, and he had caught hipsters going though his and his neighbors dumpsters looking for shit, and was given the "re-purpose to sell stuff" line not that he really cared, but routing around in a dumpster behind a paint shop and a Heavy excavation Shop near dark is not really a good idea IMO.
                      Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM.
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                        You should come up to Vancouver BC. Everyone hates anyone that isn't white and speaks clear English. Too bad most of these "foreigners" are the ones buying up everything and making the place unaffordable for those born and raised here.

Good times
                        Man, I was here thinking Canadians were so progressive...
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

The PNW is the hipster's Mecca. Here in Cali, the hipsters can't stop talking about moving up there... You're getting the cream of the crop, breh
                          No kidding..

I am almost wondering if we get the people that failed navigating the LA freeway system!

But I think we've gotten way off topic now. Been rewatching some of Bourdain's episodes, and I do have to say, it's still a little surprising to think he was 61. Despite the drugs and hard living early on, he seemed to have done a decent job of keeping himself in shape. I know a lot of men in his age bracket that look like they've given up on life.

He was a good example that it's never too late to try and turn your life around.
                          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

^reminded me of this lol

Comment

The PNW is the hipster's Mecca
                              nah, it's just a) possible to buy a house for less than a million bucks b) not the midwest
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                                nah, it's just a) possible to buy a house for less than a million bucks b) not the midwest
                                Hipster's are the demographic of people that get a boner when you say "Seattle"

and the cost of living up there is just as much as it is down here..

Comment

Working...
                                X