No announcement yet.

This Is Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always liked the feel of openness with lots of glass, but modern architecture is cold feeling with all the non-organic straight lines and stainless steel

IMHO
    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
      Always liked the feel of openness with lots of glass, but modern architecture is cold feeling with all the non-organic straight lines and stainless steel

IMHO
      I'm with you. I like modern architecture because it is usually designed in such a way that there's a lot of natural light inside, and there's also a lot of clever ideas in modern architecture (ie, cantilevered rooms) that I like, but overall it just seems too sterile, feeling more like a doctor's office than a home. Which is why I love older homes - they've been lived in, and generally have a lot of character, except when someone decides to 'renovate' because all those old doors and windows and floors and walls are apparently no longer good enough, despite lasting longer than anything you'd find at home depot...

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
        The Ansley Glass House is particularly interesting because it was an addition on an existing 1910 house. It really blends the modern with the classic.

I'm a big fan of Dwell. Particularly well designed family homes that have a modern look without losing the "home-y" feel.

I've been considering building a home on Whidbey Island, WA that looks something like this:http://www.dwell.com/houses-we-love/...-budget-austin

gerta
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

That would be bad ass. I like the untreated cedar. I don't mind the modern, the steal and such doesn't make it feel less "home-ie" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
            That would be bad ass. I like the untreated cedar. I don't mind the modern, the steal and such doesn't make it feel less "home-ie" to me.
            Yeah. I like the simple feel of it. Obviously with my passel of kids I need a functional upstairs, but this style suits me fine. My wife liked it too which was a huge plus.

Comment

Modernism is about ideas and how we live - space and light and volume and proportion and line, among other things. It doesn't have to be cold and slick, it can be raw and warm. That's all about the surfaces and materials and how you treat them.

We don't drive our great-grandfather's Model T, why do we want to live in the equivalent house?

Richard Neutra
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Neutra-Haus-Rang-8786.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7176159

Alvar Aalto town hall in Finland

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7176160

Name:	4a.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7176161

Library in Oregon

Name:	DSC_0246.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7176162

University atrium

Name:	BeautyofWood_0.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	7176163

Comment

Wood slats…

[ATTACH]95928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]95929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]95930[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]95931[/ATTACH]

Comment

Natural light and privacy
                  [ATTACH]95932[/ATTACH]

Colorado School of Mines academic building
                  [ATTACH]95933[/ATTACH]

Performing Arts complex in Rio
                  [ATTACH]95934[/ATTACH]

Brick and wood and glass and light
                  [ATTACH]95935[/ATTACH]

My dining room, from 1947
                  [ATTACH]95936[/ATTACH]

Comment

LateFan - Got your PM, thank you. Note the modern farmhouse interpretations is what I am after. We are renting as we are transitioning older kids (15 & 18) through highschool and want to move in a year or two to somewhere with more land. Something flexible with updated features (Cat5, water cachement , etc ...) which is why building might be the right example.

Comment

Sounds fun - give him a call, he'd be good for that. I'll send another name too.

Comment

my first swiss made watch, steinhart bronze 47mm pilot

Comment

Originally posted by T Verdier View Post
                          my first swiss made watch, steinhart bronze 47mm pilot
                          That is a gorgeous watch! My next watch will be swiss. There is a watch thread for future reference.

Comment

teh funny.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              Colorado School of Mines academic building
                              [ATTACH]95933[/ATTACH]
                              im in this building everyday! haha, it's marquez hall (aka Petroleum building)

untitled-5.jpg by Nathan Tello (@Nerdiest_), on Flickr
                              1997 Audi A4 1.8t 5-Speed (bamboo metallic): ST Coilovers, Sport Edition 17x7.5 Et35, 215/45/17 Kumho AST, Panzer, Depo Ecodes, 55w 5k bulbs, Magnaflow 14815, Res delete, JHM Vent Boost gauge
                              2001.5 Audi s4 2.7tt 6-Speed (Imola Yellow)
                              <<Flickr>>

Comment

Last edited by ST1G; 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X