No announcement yet.

Careers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was up at 4am this morning researching what it takes to become an ASE certified mechanic.

There are definitely days when I would rather just wrench (even though I’m a total noob) than go to the office.

Ezekiel 25:17
    Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
    The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
    The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
    The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          According to the tool guys this past spring being randomly slow caused at least 10 local shops to close down, and this is out of maybe 25 shops that could be called local. That level of attrition is something I've only seen in the manufacturing sector.

As to me, BA US Hist, which somehow landed me working ops in a small construction co., but am heading elsewhere in the near future, simply tired of coming home most every day dirty, that and the variable hours/driving are getting to me. Rewarding on a lot of days, but like anything, when SHTF it's awful, and the buck (or blame, but rarely reward) stops with me, yay middle management. Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.

That’s crazy about the local shops. Sucks.

I think it’s tough to work in industry in general. Seems like a lot of change and not much direction, and a lot of good people getting squeezed as a result. Mgmt cares but it doesn’t, really, because there’s always a shareholder or a hedge fund (or the owner) up their ass trying to make another buck.

If I knew how to not play that game without a ton of up-front capital, I’d be all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            Auto industry is tough..

Would not recommend lol

Heard that. Have plans to change soon?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              Going to miss working with the guys in the crews and some of the subcontractors, but not the owner.
              The nice thing about changing employers is you get to pick and choose who you maintain contact with. I have a handful of friends from my last half dozen or so jobs that I still get together with on a regular basis. Hell, I married one of them.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I've always wanted to create fun stuff, so the goal was always to combine an arts/design degree with an engineering degree.

Out of high-school I started as a ski-bum working the mountain for a couple years, saving every penny to go to Italy and study automotive design. Returned to the US and moved down to California. Jeff at Ireland Engineering took me in. Timing was great, given that this was right as the 2002/e30's were going mainstream (circa 2009-ish)... by the time I left he somehow let me be general manager and US product-development lead. Got to know so many great people in that time, including plenty of you douchebags. Left to work at GMG Racing doing new race-car stuff. Left after a year (new race cars are boring in comparison to restoring cars) to go back to school for that engineering degree.

Started my own bmw-parts business making parts to keep food on the table for my family while going back to school. Work part time at CoupeKing rebuilding Coupes/2002's. School is full-time.

Earned an engineering internship this summer building satellites/space-stuff, really hoping it turns into a part-time job, it feels like a career opportunity (and that I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to that childhood goal).

Never stop, never never never never ever never. Read lots of biographies and stay inspired. Life is short, we will all be dead before you know it.
                Last edited by SkiFree; 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

dang crazy to read that some of you left jobs after 10+ years.

Comment

Automotive is a great place to learn. Then apply those skills to something that will let you retire without wearing out your body by the time you are 45.
                    No E30 Club
                    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      Automotive is a great place to learn. Then apply those skills to something that will let you retire without wearing out your body by the time you are 45.

Agreed. Problem solving skills and mechanical know-how are always in demand, just need to figure out how to apply in an area of interest.

Funny, was thinking back to my GE days, when guys from corporate audit staff always moved up into management...most without a day’s experience working on the line on what they actually made / built. And then ran the company into the ground. I guess that worked out just fine, right?

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
                        Agreed. Problem solving skills and mechanical know-how are always in demand, just need to figure out how to apply in an area of interest.
                        Have you considered machining or welding? Would apply to a lot more than just automotive and would remain relevant if you went back for engineering.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Aircraft mechanic/ Inspector

After high school I did 5 years in the USMC as a V-22 Osprey mechanic. Got out went to a tech school got my A&P license and worked part time night job at a flight school.

Currently have my IA and I am an team lead/ inspector at a part 145 repair station.

I inspect aircraft, do engine work, sheet metal, avionics and anything else. Also loads of paperwork.
                          Last edited by me_john85; 08-04-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Studied Econ and Poli Sci in college (UC San Diego). Junior year had an internship that I found ironically through a fellow R3V'er and good friend of mine. The summer before my senior year I had a Summer Analyst gig doing corporate finance at one of the world's largest engineering & construction (E&C) firms. Was given a return offer but wanted to get broader industry experience in finance, so applied around. Got an offer at a bulge bracket corporate & investment bank in Chicago so I took it and moved. After a one-year rotational program stint, got an offer doing international subsidiary banking out of the firm's LA office. Spent ~2 years in LA doing relationship management work, moved from analyst to associate and wanted more experience in research/financial analysis/modelling/underwriting/structuring. So was able to land a role doing Tech, Media & Telecom coverage banking out of the same firm's SF office. Have been there for ~1.5 years now. My hours can vary from 40-80 hours per week depending on deal flow but I enjoy learning about and working with small to large tech companies so I find it stimulating. Hoping to do grad school in a few years.
                            Last edited by freeride53; 08-04-2019, 06:24 PM.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Careers Thread

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                              Have you considered machining or welding? Would apply to a lot more than just automotive and would remain relevant if you went back for engineering.

Thought about both actually. My neighbor just retired as a welder and is moving to south OC in a few weeks. I just inherited a crap ton of training manuals, metallurgical guides and overall welding stuff to learn about arc and gas welding as he was cleaning out his garage. No equipment, though. He thought of me for them because a few weeks back I asked him about welding some reinforcement tabs to the trailing arms for an IE rear sway :)

It all comes back to cars dammit!

As for machining, that seems even more daunting. It seems to take a special type of anal retentive person to be a machinist. May be a wrong impression though.

Last edited by majdomo; 08-04-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Got my master's in Computer Science - Network and Communications Management many years ago, worked for Verizon for 10 years as a telecom technician, remotely troubleshooting and repairing backbone network and large business/government services.

Decided I was done with 24/7/365 IT life about 3 years ago, so I took a reduced pay 8-5/M-F job as technical oversight for the warranty department at Case New Holland (Ag/construction equipment manufacturer). Then last year, I moved over to Technical Writing for the same company. Life has been happier with less money and more free time over the past 3 years.
                                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                                X