Other E30-esque daily drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other E30-esque daily drivers?

What other cars are worth considering for a daily driver? I want something now, and don't necessarily need another E30, since I already have the M3. My criteria are:

1) Easy and relatively inexpensive to maintain
    2) Rear wheel drive
    3) Manual
    4) Awesome
    5) Relatively sporty...aka can turn. No straight liners.
    6) Awesome

You'll notice I put awesome twice, mainly because it is the most important criteria.

Some thoughts: Porsche 944? E34? E24? 240sx? Discuss...
    sigpic
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

I'd say 240sx.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Did you say awesome? :D

Comment

miata?
        i drive one. stock.

i test drove an e30 318is today, with h&r sports, bilsteins and h&r sways. it was sporty and fun to drive, but when i got back in the miata i was shocked at how detached the e30 was- the bumps were felt numbed, the steering was slow and had no character. it wasnt nearly the involving experience the miata offered

i wouldnt call it awesome, mostly because of its kinda dumpy looks, girlish reputation, lack of space, and (most commonly) soft top- i dont like cloth lids, but it is wonderful to drive, easy to maintain and easy on consumables, and rwd with a manual box

Comment

Originally posted by voyage34 View Post
          miata?
          i drive one. stock.
          Interesting...i was considering...but based on the miata's I've sat in, I just don't fit too well(I'm 6'2").

What do you guys think of Porsche 944's, particularly the turbos?
          sigpic
          "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Expensive and unreliable....
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

How big you are is a definite factor if youre shopping for a miata. I'm 5'11, 145lbs and if I were much bigger i think it would get quite cramped.

As for the turbo 944's,
              Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
              Expensive and unreliable....

Comment

Toyota Trueno (Corolla: aka hachi-roku)
                The car I learned to drive (read:drift) in when I started driving in Japan.
                Fun as hell. Easy to fix... I had never fixed a car before, and fixed that car with parts from the junkyard like I was a pro. I beat the shit out of that car, and she never let me down. I just put gas in her for 6 months, and drove her. NEVER checked the oil... (okay, maybe a couple times...) Got a $150 dollar claim from the taxi that creamed my driver's side front (that's right side, in Japan), only took $50 to fix her (new fender, new strut).
                I <3 that car so much, can't wait to find another one here, drive it with a loser engine, then do an engine swap....
                Slicktop City!

Comment

e21 323i.
                  88 325is. 4.10 lsd, J.C. chip.

Comment

Is300
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
                      Is300

Oh yeah, has to be <4k unless it has 10/10 awesome points. IS300 only has like 7.
                      sigpic

Comment

1) Easy and relatively inexpensive to maintain
                        Freaking Bulletproof, I tell ya . . .

2) Rear wheel drive
                        Obviously, and with the LSD, even better . . .

3) Manual
                        OK, mine isn't, get an '02 or newer . . .

4) Awesome
                        Around here, there aren't too many boy racers with them, though the fucking taillights are a strike against it . . .

5) Relatively sporty...aka can turn. No straight liners.
                        Rides on damn rails with the stock suspension.

6) Awesome
                        See #4

But no, you're not going to get one for 4k unless it s a flooded, salvage titled, fire car rollover . . . .
                        Current Cars
                        2014 M235i
                        2009 R56 Cooper S
                        1998 M3
                        1997 M3

Comment

/thread

Comment

5.0 mustang in good shape, can be had for $3,000 . put lowering springs on it and C/C's up front, it will make the turns pretty good and $1200 bucks buys you a set of AFR heads that will make 400hp.

Comment

hmmm 240z, 280z... old 80's supra, early 90's supra, e36 2 door.

there is nothing that compares to an E30...they are so FTW that FTW doesnt even begin to describe them, FTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X