No announcement yet.

Let's see your scale models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the Super Bee, but I painted it yellow. Needs rebuilt though. Here's a model that was stored in a box in the garage, I didn't wipe the cleaned area off just used the wax.
    Attached Files

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Cool !
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

You guys have some great models! ..and the skilz! I can never make metallic paints look right - the metal flakes just seem out of scale.

Here's a 962 I built. My son and I would build together in the dark of winter - he built cool WWII airplanes and I built sports cars.

It's the #17 Shell 962 from 1988 Le Mans. This particular kit doesn't show the engine, but it has the transaxle and front & rear suspension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06759.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	7189564

Name:	DSC06768.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	7189565

One thing I love about these race cars is learning how the tub and suspension was built. This undertray is cool the way the airflow is managed. I later sanded down the tires to get rid of the moulding rib.

Name:	DSC06792.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	7189567

The glass masking set was really good. Glass goes in first, then mask, then spray. Just make SURE you've plugged all the vents and don't get any overspray on the inside of the glass - big mistake I learned!

Name:	DSC06791.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	7189566

First of several colors. It ends up sort of McDonalds colors.

Name:	DSC06793.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	7189568
        Last edited by LateFan; 12-23-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Do you guys do this to test colors? We add a spoon for every new can.

Name:	far right TS-15.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	7189569

We've had really good luck with Tamiya paint.
          Last edited by LateFan; 12-23-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Do you guys do this to test colors? I was looking for a really dark blue - none of these were quite right. We add a spoon for every new can.

We've had really good luck with Tamiya paint.

I just bought the Rothmans 956. The Tamiya paints are good. I don't really test the paint although I should.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

GT40 #8, 1968 Le Mans. This car is only famous because the privateer driver took off without latching his belts in order to get a good start, as was common then. His door wasn't shut right either, and on the first lap the door ripped off in the wind, the car spun and flipped badly. He was badly injured but not killed somehow, and never drove again. That's why Jacky Ickx walked slowly across the track in 1969, latched his belts carefully, and started last, and it was the last running start at Le Mans.

Like 40 years later, someone found the bent up tub in a shop, rebuilt the car, and now it's a regular in vintage racing.

Long story about my weird reasons to build a certain car. Why didn't I build a blue Gulf car you ask? Because ALL the GT40s are Gulf blue and I wanted something different. A big also - the kit does not have the big rear fenders of the Gulf cars, or the huge rear wheels to make it look right - it's an early body. That's one problem I've had with kits - getting the wheel width and proportions right. Sometimes I put spacers in to push the wheels out, and cut down struts or body mounts to lower them to the right height.

Name:	DSC07534.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	7189570

Name:	DSC07584.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	7189571

It's cool to see the actual proportions of these cars without the shell on. It's just a bigass go-cart! No engine with this kit. Note the driver's seat pushed closer to the center, with wooden shifter on the right the way god intended!

Name:	DSC07981.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	7189572

Name:	DSC07993.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	7189573

I added a Gurney bubble on the roof...because Gurney! It was part of an airplane wing tank and lots of putty shaping.

Name:	DSC08000.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7189574
              Last edited by LateFan; 12-23-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I'm not a very good painter yet. I always get a lot of orange peel and sand and sand. My son's matte airplane paint jobs are really nice. I wish cars were matte!

Name:	DSC08002.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	7189575

We search around for specialized decal sets for specific cars and planes. None of this came with the kit. There you can see the Gurney bubble, and I made a custom hood vent because the kit came with the double triangle vents and I wanted the straight style.

Name:	DSC08035.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	7189576

Comment

That gt40 is awesome. They sell an engine for it on ebay but they detail kits are so expensive. They want like 100 per

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

911 engine and RS model. This one will be Bjorn Waldegard's East African Safari car, with the cow bars and rally lights and roof rack. Jacking up the suspension for this one. I hate to hide the engine inside the compartment.

Name:	IMG_0015 small.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	7189577

I think silver / aluminum / metal paints are really difficult.

Name:	IMG_0016 small.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7189578

Name:	IMG_0018 small.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	7189579

Name:	IMG_0007 small.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	7189580

The body was pretty slab sided at the bottom and had some mold flaws, so I puttied the holes and used files to round under the lower sill like a real 911.

Name:	IMG_0336 small.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	7189581

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                      That gt40 is awesome. They sell an engine for it on ebay but they detail kits are so expensive. They want like 100 per
                      Thank you!

100 bucks for an engine kit?! Yike.

Comment

Thank you!

100 bucks for an engine kit?! Yike.

Yes! I may get one sometime if they don't release a kit with one. What brand is that rs? My rsr is tamiya but only has half an engine. Im going to buy the nissan r89c next. Hopefully my 635csi parts car shows up soon. I need to get the seat belts and detail kits for it and the porsche 956 they are only 30-40 thank god.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Let's see your scale models.

No engine with this kit.

Want one?

From my aborted McLaren project. It was missing too many pieces so I trashed it and kept the motor/trans
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The RS is Fujimi. It came as the safari car, but it's exactly the same guts in the kit as the straight RS 2.7. I found one of those still in plastic on eBay in Japan. I bought a partial one from an eBay guy for duplicate parts. Missing directions, but you can find them on-line. The RS 2.7 will be an R-Gruppe 911 Special instead of stock.

EDIT - The Fujimi 911 tub...(not mine)

Name:	Fujimi 911 tub-others.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7189582
                            Last edited by LateFan; 12-23-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Want one?[/IMG]

From my aborted McLaren project. It was missing too many pieces so I trashed it and kept the motor/trans
                              Cool, a white Ford? Is it a 289 or a big block? Sadly mine is all glued together long ago, and the rear deck doesn't lift off.

Comment

I made a custom roof rack for a Land Rover 109...first time I tried anything like that..

Glued down the top of the frame, made a little jig for the horizontal rails..

Name:	DSC07552.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	7189583

Peeled off the paper, sanded, puttied, painted it galvanized steel.

Name:	DSC07562.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	7189584

Then I had to stain balsa planks to look like grime and gas stains..I think they scale to about a 1x10 board, which might not be enough to walk around on, but...

Name:	DSC07569.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	7189585

Name:	DSC07572.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7189586

Found some tools at 1:24, painted some rusty Jerry cans... We're headed for Africa!

Name:	DSC07578.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7189587
                                Last edited by LateFan; 12-23-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X