No announcement yet.

Why do I love old cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I allways thought a "old" car was 1975 and back, but that must be just me.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

no wannabe baller here,

a) i work at a dealership (finance)
      b) can afford ALMOST anything i want to drive

alot of my co-workers are baffled by the fact that i can drive just about anything i want, yet i drive a 16yr old 183k mile E30. i drive new cars all the time, most, not all, lack the character of my E30. i'm very slow when it comes to modding this car (wife,kid,mortgage), but i want to build this thing over time to embarrass some modern muscle. i could go on and on but i digress. my
      Shoot, move, and communicate...

......Semper Fidelis.....

Comment

I work for an organization and we run 4x4's, Nissan Prado's, (not a us model but like a 4Runner) the old models use to take a pounding and last year for 06 they started to deliver a new chassis/model. The new models are braking at an average of one every other day, we had 13 broken when we called a meeting with Nissan, we now have 90 down with the same broken chassis. They argue the we are beating them too hard, my argument is that your older model can take it but your newer, never to be driven off road just to the mall, soccer mom waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles mobiles can't take it and that is how you are building/engineering them. And I'm sure that is for all new cars across the board.
        sigpic
        WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

i saw a canadian c33 the other day above KNOXXVILLE, Tn the tag was a canadian tag ... beautiful car

Comment

you love old cars because new cars are just not the same...

too many things are automated and engineered to take the 'feel' out of driving...things are more comfortable for the average person that way. IMO, newer cars looks A. all the same and B. like doggie doo, and profits often rule the engineering of said vehicles, thus producing poorly engineered, overpriced, ugly hunks of crap.
            BRUTE

Comment

i totally agree with all of you. There is a certain exclusivity as well that says "I can drive a unique old car and afford to pay for it." I know many people who talk about how much they liked their old car but got a new one because it was "cheaper" to maintain. hmmm, paid off old car with a few repairs vs $800/month lease for a new one. I think the old one is "cheaper" even if it goes to the shop.

Someone also mentioned it is hard to keep an old car really nice, which I completely agree with. a near mint C43 amg is WAY WAY WAY hotter than some new 2007 C230 lmao.

Comment

cause round cars are boring.
                ________
                Vaporizers
                Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs909 View Post
                  QF-muthafukkin-T.

I like older cars for many resons. I like the fact that I can work on them. I love the "modding" aspect of it. I love the cheaper insurance too. I love the fact that if I break something, I can fix it...and it will likely stay fixed. In my cars case, it seems to be going up in value daily, so I am not so keen on chopping the hell out of it anymore.

Dunno how I feel about that.

I certainly never want to be making car payments again, ever. I am entirely OK buying parts, but I hate making money for a finance company. I have this deep hatred for banks, finance companies and money handlers in general.

I would really like the windows to roll up and down smoothly and quickly, the electricals to be without hassle, the leather on the seats to be smooth and creamy...but my GF bought a new car and 3 years later she is having issues with all of those! She bought a POS Malibu, but still...it was new!

Anyway, keep rockin' the history.

I will be here.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by dvs909 View Post
                    Unless you get one of those scion xb things. Personaly i'd get one and paint it yellow and put " The Short Bus" on the side of it.

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

agreed, i would laugh my ass off if i saw that.

but really tho, i look at pretty much any new car, and there all round and curvy and it pisses me off cause nothing looks unique anymore. e30 ftw.
                      ________
                      SUZUKI KATANA
                      Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                        I allways thought a "old" car was 1975 and back, but that must be just me.
                        Anymore, I consider old to be before 90' and collectors cars are anything before 80'. Atleast, they are collector cars if they have a following.

Comment

sub-cultures.

I grew up with Land Cruisers...
                          Land Cruiser owners wave to eachother. Strange, but true.
                          Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                          That Guy.
                          03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

I consider E30s and E24s BMWs modern-day classics. As much as some of you want to deny it, E36s will be soon as well (next 5-8 years). Unfortunately, I dont think there will be many past the E36. :(
                            Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                            That Guy.
                            03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Working...
                            X