Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

work in manufacturing? Just got job offer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

work in manufacturing? Just got job offer...

So I just got a interesting job offer...

This company that makes high performance vacume chambers, valves, and what-nots offered me a job. I must say I am very interested(but the staring pay is shit - no really - shit)

I'd be leaving the "video production" biz and starting all over in the manufacturing world...But I think I like that!

They want to start me off as a "Expeditor II" then work my way up into the engineering/design side of things.

Anyone here do work for companies like this???

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

George, if you are in SB, (but want to move to PDX) I think you would be best off finding a new gig in your current field. If you still want something different after you re-locate, then change fields.

BTW, "Expediter" means either:
    Boss' bitch (small company) or
    Slave (larger comapany)

Hope shit works well for you,
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      They want to start me off as a "Expeditor II" then work my way up into the engineering/design side of things.
      sure they do... ask them how many of their current engineers started out that way.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        So I just got a interesting job offer...

This company that makes high performance vacume chambers, valves, and what-nots offered me a job.

Well, a benefit of taking the job would be learning to spell vacuum.

Sorry, spelling is a pet peeve of mine - had to, sorry.

Seriously, do you like video production work? If so, don't leave it - Jobs that pay are easy to find, jobs you like aren't. Hard to put a price on job satisfaction in my mind.

Also, if you're planning a move like Luke hinted at, what's the job market like where you are headed? Not only that, but moving isn't cheap - do you really want to take a cut in pay and then move?

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

services are where it's at. manufacturing is defninitely not the future.. we have robots for that. you have no idea how boring manufacturing is until you've done it.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
            Jobs that pay are easy to find, jobs you like aren't. Hard to put a price on job satisfaction in my mind.
            When I dropped out of college for a year and a half I managed to get hooked up with a buddy doing boilermaking for plants. That was ok.
            Then I went to doing Ironworking and let me tell you that I absolutely loved it. Manual labor is very rewarding. you actually feel like you've done something at the end of the day, especially when you are building a steel structure and you can see it going up. I will be doing it again this summer, no doubt.
            It's rewarding, and it pays a shitload. Try being 21 years old making 23.50/hr AND being payed 75 dollars a day just to be at work. God I miss that money.
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

You also run the risk of falling of a girder to your death, but thats cool.
              Back to my roots

Comment

that is what this is for:

My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I work in manufacturing. Fleetwood Travel Trailers, i've been there for almost 4 years and i like it, not a bad job but it does get boring sometimes. I like factory work and working with my hands. It helps if you like the people that you work with too. Plus it is 40 hour week with weekends off.

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    services are where it's at. manufacturing is defninitely not the future.. we have robots for that. you have no idea how boring manufacturing is until you've done it.
                    Yep. Increased automation = less workers. It also means that there is less skill involved, so unlike in the old days when you could work in a factory and learn a trade, there is less and less skill coming from a job like this. Manufacturers do everything to minimize variation, and the best way to do this is to remove humans who are prone to error.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                      When I dropped out of college for a year and a half I managed to get hooked up with a buddy doing boilermaking for plants. That was ok.
                      Then I went to doing Ironworking and let me tell you that I absolutely loved it. Manual labor is very rewarding. you actually feel like you've done something at the end of the day, especially when you are building a steel structure and you can see it going up. I will be doing it again this summer, no doubt.
                      It's rewarding, and it pays a shitload. Try being 21 years old making 23.50/hr AND being payed 75 dollars a day just to be at work. God I miss that money.
                      Wheres your E39 M5? ;)
                      Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                      That Guy.
                      03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
                        Wheres your E39 M5? ;)
                        E34 M5 FTW.

Comment

stay with the steel work man get into the iron workers union then you get better pay killer fringes the health care an the pension are worth it alone. there will alway be the need for iron workers, building will never stop, it cant be outsourced like manufacturing, tech, or most other types of jobs. Also not very many people want to have a hard physical job and actuly work anymore so that puts you in demand and since you have prior experienc it may make it eaiser to get into a aprenticeship (sp) through the iron workers. Or just hire on with a union company and have them sign you up.

Just my 2 cents
                          RJ
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

George,
                            a good friend of mine it's doing video edits, live feeds, etc for a outfit off Hollywood.

He endure 2 years of grave yard shifts but now is on M-F 7am to 3pm schedule + 1 Saturday a month., think $ 25+ an hour to start.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              stay with the steel work man get into the iron workers union then you get better pay killer fringes the health care an the pension are worth it alone. there will alway be the need for iron workers, building will never stop, it cant be outsourced like manufacturing, tech, or most other types of jobs. Also not very many people want to have a hard physical job and actuly work anymore so that puts you in demand and since you have prior experienc it may make it eaiser to get into a aprenticeship (sp) through the iron workers. Or just hire on with a union company and have them sign you up.

Just my 2 cents
                              RJ
                              I always get hooked into those construction shows on TLC and discovery and it looks like even ironworking is getting automated. Have you seen the factory type things that build the skyscraper floor by floor, then rise up with the building. The "factory" then becomes the top floor. Insane.
                              Back to my roots

Comment

Working...
                              X