Buying used cell phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying used cell phone

I want to pick up a Samsung X426/x427 phone from ebay. What's the deal with buying used phones, do you just swap your sim card and start dialing? Or do I have to activate something, or what? Is it the same for new/refurbished/used phones? I'm so far out of the cell phone loop it's not even funny.

The story: I have one now, I've had it for 3 years or so. I don't use my phone for anything besides calling someone, I don't want or need the stupid shit the $300 phones come with. I have a camera, I have a TV, and I have a computer, I don't need a miniature, half-assed version of each. This phone has been thrown, kicked, dropped, punched, submerged, disassembled, castrated, and it still works great for making phone calls. It is showing some major age however, so I want to get another one for backup/replacement, as I rely on a cell phone heavily. I have seen them for ~$30-$40, which seems like a good deal
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Since you mention a sim, I'm assuming you're using tmobile or cingular. Most phones (except those that are unlocked) are company specific. So find an old t-mobile phone if you have tmobile, or old cingular if you have cingular.

Then the sim will drop right in and work right away. My girlfriend used to work for t-mobile, and we have ten t-mobile phones lying around that she throws her sim in from time to time. If you want a cheap e315, PM me. I think we have 5 of them in the house.

Comment

cool. I knew they were company specific until unlocked, I just wasn't sure if the serial number or whatever on the phone needed activated or something.

I have cingular/att whatever the hell they call themselves now.

Thanks for the offer, but my heart is set on this little indestructible phone.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
      X