Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    That is exactly the reason why. The elected Sheriff didn’t want the public perception of seeing deputies with cocked pistols.
    Then he should get his crusty old ass out of the office and back on a beat :curse:
    Let him get into a couple fights, couple shots fired calls and see how he feels about the situation then.

    It's incredible how much law enforcement has changed in such a short time. It used to be that the people in charge actually cared about their officers, used common sense, and weren't afraid to ignore the tiny portion of the public that *might* get offended over something so stupid. 90%+ of the general public couldn't even tell you if a hammer pistol was locked and loaded by looking at it.
    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

    Comment


      I’m sure it’s been 20+ years since he has personally been the first responder to a call. A few guys carry double/single action, but the vast majority just go with Glock 17s from what I understand. He has however really upped there training according to some deputies I speak with. Overall he is pretty well liked by his department.

      My sisters police chief is a total politician and regularly throws his subordinates under the bus, and to make matters worse the new D.A. is a believer in not prosecuting drug offenders. As a result they are hemorrhaging good young officers who say it’s not worth it. Sad. Only officers who are too vested towards retirement to quit are sticking it out.
      Last edited by naplesE30; 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
        I’m sure it’s been 20+ years since he has personally been the first responder to a call. A few guys carry double/single action, but the vast majority just go with Glock 17s.
        Given that this isn't the 80's any more, I really see no reason for anyone on active patrol to carry anything other than a modern Glock, S&W, Sig, or H&K striker fired pistol.

        Most people that carry 1911s now are doing it for nostalgic reasons, not because it makes sense or is in any way a better option lol

        There's one guy at a nearby department that is old enough to be grandfathered into carrying his Colt revolver :nice:
        2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

        Comment


          Originally posted by Ryan... View Post

          It's incredible how much law enforcement has changed in such a short time. It used to be that the people in charge actually cared about their officers, used common sense, and weren't afraid to ignore the tiny portion of the public that *might* get offended over something so stupid. 90%+ of the general public couldn't even tell you if a hammer pistol was locked and loaded by looking at it.
          Dude, I hear that. Again, I'm an outsider looking in, but I'd venture to guess my city has had one of the most drastic shifts in law enforcement this country has seen. I go out of my way to talk to the patrol guys when they're not busy, and it blows me away they still show up for work.
          BEERTECH

          Comment


            Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Dude, I hear that. Again, I'm an outsider looking in, but I'd venture to guess my city has had one of the most drastic shifts in law enforcement this country has seen. I go out of my way to talk to the patrol guys when they're not busy, and it blows me away they still show up for work.
            Baltimore..... Jesus, you'd have to pay for 4x what I make here, and here in WI we're some of the best paid LEO's in the country.

            I was recently reading an article about BPD, talking about the "silent strike" they went on where they simply stopped doing proactive policing, stopped looking for guns, drugs etc; absolute insanity the effect it had on the city. Chicago did a similar thing here too.

            Unsurprisingly, drug sales and gun calls went up drastically
            2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

            Comment


              Its a f'ing mess. Recruitment/enrollment for BPD is way down, and anyone who is interested in LE can go 15 minutes outside of the city to any of the surround areas, make $10k more, and work, well, not in Baltimore. So that means the folks that do sign up might not necessarily be the cream of the crop, making it a vicious cycle. The elected officials aren't helping anything either, but that's another thread. There's also a very vocal minority of residents who are doing anything they can to undermine LE efforts as well. And finally we have incidents like the most recent one where an officer did get out of line on camera.

              Its a mess.

              Back on topic, BPD issues G22 across the board, and damn do their holsters suck. Old school Level III retention. It would take a helluva lot of reps to get even remotely fast with those. Also on topic, law abiding citizens are excruciatingly restricted from carrying. Of course the baddies don't worry about such trivialities.
              Last edited by Rob; 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM.
              BEERTECH

              Comment


                Originally posted by Rob View Post
                Its a f'ing mess. Recruitment/enrollment for BPD is way down, and anyone who is interested in LE can go 15 minutes outside of the city to any of the surround areas, make $10k more, and work, well, not in Baltimore. So that means the folks that do sign up might not necessarily be the cream of the crop, making it a vicious cycle. The elected officials aren't helping anything either, but that's another thread. There's also a very vocal minority of residents who are doing anything they can to undermine LE efforts as well. And finally we have incidents like the most recent one where an officer did get out of line on camera.

                Its a mess.

                Back on topic, BPD issues G22 across the board, and damn do their holsters suck. Old school Level III retention. It would take a helluva lot of reps to get even remotely fast with those. Also on topic, law abiding citizens are excruciatingly restricted from carrying. Of course the baddies don't worry about such trivialities.
                I would love to do a ride along with BPD or Chicago PD, just to get a glimpse into their worlds..

                I had to jump through a couple hoops, but I'm using an IMI defense level 2 retention holster. I can quite easily achieve a sub 1.5 second draw and hit center mass at 10 yards with this holster. Not quite as secure as my old Blackhawk holster, but it draws smooooooooth :)
                2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

                Comment


                  Part of me really wants to pick up on of the Safariland ALS holsters (Just the button, no hood), just to use for IDPA or mess around with
                  BEERTECH

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Part of me really wants to pick up on of the Safariland ALS holsters (Just the button, no hood), just to use for IDPA or mess around with
                    Although it sound like you want active retention, I can’t recommend red hill tactical holsters enough. I have been very pleased with both of mine. Plus they are located in your own back yard, and offer a cool Maryland flag pattern if your into that kinda thing.

                    Comment


                      Never heard of them, but now I have...look awesome!
                      BEERTECH

                      Comment


                        Mailed in the ordering packet for a CMP 1911. I wasn’t going to try to get one, since I feel the price is inflated, but I am sure it is a wise investment gun. Hence I broke down and will purchase one if my number is drawn. Any of you guys get in on the lottery? 2 weeks left to get your paperwork in.

                        Comment


                          I thought of doing that, but not liking the price.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                          Comment


                            Found the rifle I'm buying for work, a BCM Recce 14" : https://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM...ne-780-790.htm


                            We're no longer allowed to use clothing allowance or payroll deductions so it's going to be all out of pocket, aka I'm going to have to wait a bit longer :(
                            2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

                            Comment


                              Ryan, let them know you're LEO, and they may offer a LEO/Military discount. Worth a shot.
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                                Ryan, let them know you're LEO, and they may offer a LEO/Military discount. Worth a shot.
                                I do get it at LEO cost, so it should be closer to $1250 or so. Luckily Vortex is nearby and they give us 40% off so they'll be my go-to for optics.

                                Right now I'm definitely considering their Razor AMG: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...g_uh-1_red_dot
                                2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X