Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Haven't tried one and don't plan to.

My issue isn't with polymer when a firearm is engineered from the start to utilize plastic.

My issue is taking something engineered to be made out of aluminum, then rig it up out of polymer. There are torture tests that show them to hold up well, but considering you can pick up a 7075 spikes stripped for $90 I don't see the point.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
      I Haven't tried one and don't plan to.

My issue isn't with polymer when a firearm is engineered from the start to utilize plastic.

My issue is taking something engineered to be made out of aluminum, then rig it up out of polymer. There are torture tests that show them to hold up well, but considering you can pick up a 7075 spikes stripped for $90 I don't see the point.
      Agreed, or a PSA or Anderson for $50. There are common failure/weak points on the AR lower and I'd rather stick to high grade aluminum. Besides the fit and finish of the polymer is usually less precise, needs some massaging to get the internals to fit correctly. Only benefit I see is weight savings, but its not like a traditional lower is a boat anchor, not worth the tradeoff.

Comment

Well... shit lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by ParsedOut View Post
          There are common failure/weak points on the AR lower and I'd rather stick to high grade aluminum.

Really?
          Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I think he was referring to the polymer models.

A quick Google search of polymer lower failure results in plenty of images where they broke between the grip and buffer tube mounting point. If you go polymer, it is indeed a weak point.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              I think he was referring to the polymer models.

A quick Google search of polymer lower failure results in plenty of images where they broke between the grip and buffer tube mounting point. If you go polymer, it is indeed a weak point.

yeah there are a few that do but due to manufacture defects, but the lower takes almost no stress. As all the moving parts are contained to the upper receiver. If you google there are people that have built lowers using Lego blocks.

if you are looking to go poly, look at the bushmaster carbon 15. Never really hear of those breaking...
              Last edited by Vedubin01; 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

oops double posted.

Comment

Been looking at throwing down the cash for a SCAR 17. Price is around $2500. Seem normal? Friends has one and I just love the platform and feel to it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RGCintha29073 View Post
                    Been looking at throwing down the cash for a SCAR 17. Price is around $2500. Seem normal? Friends has one and I just love the platform and feel to it.

Thats on the lower side of pricing of them. Average price is 2750-2600. Very nice weapon!

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                      Really?
                      This is what I was referring to. Also the pivot pin tabs can be prone to breakage. Let me be clear, not saying these happen all the time or can't be avoided with proper care, but I build and keep firearms that will last multiple lifetimes and if needed could survive a very rough existence. Now if you want a plinking AR for range fun only, polymer would be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ParsedOut View Post
                        but I build and keep firearms that will last multiple lifetimes and if needed could survive a very rough existence.
                        Wow, Delta Force.

Are you actually Chuck Norris?
                        2011 1M Alpine white/black
                        1996 Civic white/black
                        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                          Wow, Delta Force.

Are you actually Chuck Norris?
                          Move along... don't you have any Politics and Religion posts you could be ruining? Must be a slow troll day here on r3v.

Comment

Speaking of bad asses I just saw this. This guy is incredible!

Comment

there was a PILE of ammo expended in honing those skills... HOLY SHIT
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Instructor Zero is awesome!
                                1990 325is
                                m52b28
                                3.73lsd
                                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Working...
                                X