If there was a draft would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there was a draft would you go?

I know there is no draft, but this came up talking to my buddys and i would like to know your opinion.

Edit: i voted Yes
    Yes
    41.82%
    Yes, but i'd be scared!
    11.82%
    No
    13.64%
    No, i'm a communist
    2.73%
    No, i'm a pussy
    4.55%
    No, i'm leaving this country
    11.82%
    ROB
    13.64%
    Last edited by JasonC; 08-25-2007, 08:27 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

I would go if we were actually in a legitimate war, but if I was drafted right now I would probably try to break my own leg or temporarily disable myself in some other way.

1989 325iX
    1995 540i
    1986 325eS R.I.P.
    1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Either you go or you find another country to live in, that's my POV.

You may not like it, but it's right behind death & taxes on the big list.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Votes should be public so we can find out who said they were a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
          Either you go or you find another country to live in, that's my POV.

You may not like it, but it's right behind death & taxes on the big list.
          I can't be drafted cause I am not a citizen. I can't be summoned to jury duty for that reason either. I cannot get a government job. I have to admit I am glad about the first two however I don't really understand how a permanent resident alien (the title on my card) or better yet a permanent resident can't be drafted. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we also cannot vote....

I appreciate everything the United States of America is as was created by the founding fathers and what all it offers for those who work to earn it. So on that note, if I had to fight for the freedoms and liberties it has offered me and my family and others, I would. I wouldn't be thrilled about it at all but it feels like an obligation and responsibilty. And true obligations and responsibilies of that magnitude are not to be taken lightly. Then comes the arguement of how one feels about the reason for going to war though. That's a whole other difficult topic.

Comment

I would go if it is my legal obligation to do so, whether I believe in the cause or not. That is the duty of an American IMHO. I am not a jingoist Republican bastard either.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Come on in, gents. Nothing to be afraid of. If you're going to die, you might as well have your own finger on a trigger.
              I'd be proud to have you as my Marines.

Adam J. Armour
              Gunnery Sergeant, USMC

p.s. I've been in since '96, and haven't been to the war yet... (not for lack of effort :()
              Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
                I can't be drafted cause I am not a citizen. I can't be summoned to jury duty for that reason either. I cannot get a government job. I have to admit I am glad about the first two however I don't really understand how a permanent resident alien (the title on my card) or better yet a permanent resident can't be drafted. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we also cannot vote....

Trust me, I understand people being in different stages of citizenship. I have no beef with anyone over something like that, I'm glad I'm a simple US citizen.

I just think that as a whole, we have it pretty good & by comparison there are a lot of countries that put a lot more pressure on their people than us.

Politics aside, I just figure if I get the call I better go or plan on finding a new address in Canada, and I don't like the RCMP, so I'm off to war.

Plus, shooting shit is cool.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
                  Votes should be public so we can find out who said they were a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.
                  Can they be public on this site? Cause i didn't look for that option when i did the poll.

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Yes, I would go. Politics and agendas aside, it is your duty as an American to serve your country in time of need.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                      I would go if it is my legal obligation to do so, whether I believe in the cause or not. That is the duty of an American IMHO. I am not a jingoist Republican bastard either.
                      BRUTE

Comment

Originally posted by DanielHStout View Post
                        I would go if we were actually in a legitimate war, but if I was drafted right now I would probably try to break my own leg or temporarily disable myself in some other way.
                        We call that malingering and in time of war that is 10 years in the federal pen and a felony conviction on your record for life. IMHO you should be drafted, patched up, and sent anyway.

FWIW.

Whether you consider this a legitimate war or not is irrelevant. Americans are serving with honor here and overseas regardless of their opinion of the legitimacy of any war or this one in particular, whether or not they agree with this administration's policy in regards to the use of force, or whether or not they even voted for this administration.

You enjoy the pleasures of American society without the responsibilities - good for you. Now move to Canada.

In the interests of full disclosure, I just went over 21 years in the Army and have some rather definite opinions about people who won't serve if called upon. I'm not saying everyone should serve in the military, but everyone should serve their country somehow.
                        John in MD - 1991 318is
                        190k miles and still rolling!

Comment

I wouldn't, I'm a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

I think you're safe, you're Canadian!

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by ak96ss View Post
                              We call that malingering and in time of war that is 10 years in the federal pen and a felony conviction on your record for life. IMHO you should be drafted, patched up, and sent anyway.

FWIW.

Whether you consider this a legitimate war or not is irrelevant. Americans are serving with honor here and overseas regardless of their opinion of the legitimacy of any war or this one in particular, whether or not they agree with this administration's policy in regards to the use of force, or whether or not they even voted for this administration.

You enjoy the pleasures of American society without the responsibilities - good for you. Now move to Canada.

In the interests of full disclosure, I just went over 21 years in the Army and have some rather definite opinions about people who won't serve if called upon. I'm not saying everyone should serve in the military, but everyone should serve their country somehow.
                              I really understand you point of view and I do believe it is a duty to serve your country.

I also really value what the men and women in service are doing/risking for us right now but I wish we could bring them all home.

I don't know if I would actually really try to get out of it, but I know that I am not going to die for a cause that I am completely 100% against. There is no way.

1989 325iX
                              1995 540i
                              1986 325eS R.I.P.
                              1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X