The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy Road Crank

I'm looking for an old school Shimano road crank w/ Shimano square BB taper & 172.5 crank arms. Prefer Dura Ace. I have good chainrings (53/42), I just need the arms.

Anyone got for cheap that is collecting dust?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      Hey, a friend of mine's son rode for Carl Strong in Bozeman as a teenager. He's now riding in the TdF for a big team. He broke a Strong frame in half in a race once - something to do with steel quenching I think. But they are beautiful bikes.

He's my Colnago steelie. Carbon fork, steerer, seat post. Chorus 10 gruppo, Ksyrium wheelset. Such a blast to ride!

(Also an Alfa guy...'67 Duetto)
      Cheers -

[ATTACH]72310[/ATTACH]
      Nice bike. Colnogos have always had some of the nicest paint jobs. Campy Chorus 10 is one of the most bombproof groups ever made. I had a Chorus 9 group that dated back to '99 on the Strong. It never had an issue. When I built the Tsunami up with Record, I put the Chorus group on a Cannondale CAAD8 frame. It still worked great 10 years and a ton of miles (like 40K+, for the first 3 years I had it I was doing 10K+ a year on it) after it was made. You can't argue about that. Yeah there were lighter groups, out there, but I'll take reliability over a couple ounces any day of the week.

I'm thinking of replacing the now dented Tsunami with a Dean Ti, again custom built. I'll just transfer my Carbon Record 10 over to the new frame. Its showing that it is every bit as durable as the old Chorus group. Campy makes the best stuff, likely because they have been doing it the longest.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I just found a local group of rigid, singlespeed, tandem, and retro mountain bikers to ride with. Its time to pull the '92 Specialized S-Works steel frame out of the corner, clean the dust and cobwebs off and go ride dirt with it. That said, it might take a little getting used to riding 2 inch travel Mag 21s with top mount thumb shifters and cantilever brakes. Time to relearn the concept of finesse on a bike.

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Nice bikes Blackbird! And that Colnago is fantastic too, LateFan.

Comment

New parts coming in tomorrow, I can't wait to get back on the road. I killed my last crank within 20 miles -_____-

Comment

Also I'm sure its a long shot but any socal peeps wanna trade red tires for regular black ones? They're red kendas 700c, not sure on the width. They came with a wheelset and they're too nice for me to pull off and throw to the side but too flashy for me.

Comment

Just missed out on a nice Specialized Langster for 200 locally. damn. Anybody ride a Dawes SST AL?
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I just took two sets of older Manitou forks and from them created one so-so fork and one kick ass fork. They are Manitou Mars, one was an Elite, and the other was a Super. Oddly enough the top of the line Super came with the bottom of the line crown, but has adjustable rebound damping. The Elite came with the awesome forged and machined crown and no rebound damping. The solution, pull both apart, swap the adjustable insides from the Supers into the Elite crown and upper sections. The Elite came with a higher rate internal spring, so I swapped that to the Super giving me a more progressive fork that can be run at lower pressure allowing for a more active fork. With some futzing the on the fly lockout can be turned into an on the fly adjustable compression damper. That was done as well. The best part is that I'll guess the revised fork lost a couple ounces of weight and became a really nice fork despite being 11 years old.

Again, newer isn't always better, its just newer. I can't wait to ride this thing, but since its 100 degrees out, its not happening anytime soon.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by JFarhanbod View Post
                    New parts coming in tomorrow, I can't wait to get back on the road. I killed my last crank within 20 miles -_____-
                    What sort of crank was it? FSA? If so, it doesn't surprise me, they build crap. SRAM stuff is also pretty cheaply made.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                      What sort of crank was it? FSA? If so, it doesn't surprise me, they build crap. SRAM stuff is also pretty cheaply made.

Will
                      Last crank was a Craigslist pake, really was crap. The new one is a SRAM s300, so far it looks quality but I don't have my chain yet and with this heat I don't even wanna leave the house.

Comment

Originally posted by JFarhanbod View Post
                        Last crank was a Craigslist pake, really was crap. The new one is a SRAM s300, so far it looks quality but I don't have my chain yet and with this heat I don't even wanna leave the house.
                        Is that a square taper or a more modern crank? SRAM uses the cheapest of cheap aluminum, that is why its light. Because of this they will wallow out and fall off when they work loose. What bolt pattern are you running? If it happens to be 74/110 or 130mm, and a square taper, look for go looking for some old Dura Ace, or Ultegra (if 130mm) If 110, you have lots to choose from, XTR, XT, or a plethora of aftermarket CNC cranks such as Race Face, Cook Bros ect. There is some really cool old school stuff out there. I'm guessing this is for a fixed gear, you have lots of options.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                          Is that a square taper or a more modern crank? SRAM uses the cheapest of cheap aluminum, that is why its light. Because of this they will wallow out and fall off when they work loose. What bolt pattern are you running? If it happens to be 74/110 or 130mm, and a square taper, look for go looking for some old Dura Ace, or Ultegra (if 130mm) If 110, you have lots to choose from, XTR, XT, or a plethora of aftermarket CNC cranks such as Race Face, Cook Bros ect. There is some really cool old school stuff out there. I'm guessing this is for a fixed gear, you have lots of options.

Will
                          The s300 is an octolink I believe and uses their Gxp external bottom bracket. They are supposedly just as strong as omniums which is nice. Its pretty crazy since its hallow through the bottom bracket. Never seen anything like it haha. Yep this is all on a fixed gear.

Comment

There is a reason I still run square taper bottom brackets. I've never been impressed with the octilink type interface. They are temperamental in that they don't fit deeply enough into the crank arm to have a solid bite. Yes, they have more surface area, but they just don't fit deeply enough into the crank arm to get good support. The hollow spindle is nothing new, I think all my b.b. spindles are hollow. Yes, the spindle itself is larger, but the bearings are smaller and more likely to wear out sooner. In terms of flex, do you really think you can flex a 103mm piece of tubular steel or titanium? I know I can't. I can flex the crank arms into the chainstay, I can flex the frame into the crank and or inner chainrings. Heck, I can bend the spiders on the cranks, but I can't flex a bottom bracket spindle, especially one supported by a pair of bearings.

Truevative had issues with their cranks and bottom brackets shedding the crank arms mid ride for a long time. When I was in college I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a way to keep the crank arms on the spindles for a full race. I was sort of the team wrench and we were sponsored by Truevative as they were a local company. When Shimano released the Octilink it didn't come off the spindle, but the splines didn't seat well into the crank arms. If you got them on the b.b. correctly it was all good, if not you chewed up the splines in the crank arm. It was hard to feel if you were really correctly on the spindle or not.

I stick with the old school square taper setup because it works, its solid, and there isn't anything wrong with it. There was a reason Campy took so long to come up with their current design. I'm pretty sure the only reason they changed was to not look outdated compared to the rest of the world. Their current design is a PITA on some frames that aren't 100% spot on with the b.b. shell width. They also, like Shimano, aren't well sealed. The BB30 setup takes an even further step backward in that it increases the Q factor on the cranks, and leaves the bearings even more exposed to water intrusion. :roll:

If you continue to have crank arm issues, go old school. A 103mm Dura Ace square taper b.b is arguably the most indestructible bottom brackets ever made. I can't say I've ever seen a worn out one. Combined with any one of a number of cranks, its pretty hard to beat. Its just a thought.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

^ I really hope the sram doesnt give me any problems, it definitely seems like its a much more quality part than the last.

Finished this thang today, havent ridden it yet due to heat but hopefully I can take it out tonight

warning: I'm notorious for taking shitty bike pics

Comment

Here's my new (to me) '12 CAAD10.. Backup/Race bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X