The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lambo :)

Last edited by fporro; 04-05-2013, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Just bought some bullhorn bars and pedal straps! Yeeeeee

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Picked up a new toy for a steal, man does she handle well. Took her out on my favorite trail for a mandatory break-in and was impressed to say the least for my first 29er.

Things that will change:
        • More streamlined saddle
        • Wider handle bars
        • Softer grips
        • Egg beaters

Last edited by Cronopoulos; 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          Was gonna say nice Trek 660 but you said it was a 710. 710 was what tube set? 660 were 531 Reynolds and then converted to Japanese Tange or Ishwata I think just before they went all big tubed Al and Composites.
          Thanks! I'm 99% sure its an 81 710. I went off this http://www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm

Either way, its a 531db tubeset and its my birth year bike so it's a keeper.
          09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
          05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
          87 BMW 325is
          a few bicycles

Comment

Ok, so assuming all the specs match up and it fits fine... Would a fork like this, assuming it is longer than my current fork, aid in my pedal scraping issues without messing up the handling too much? I know it all depends on how much longer exactly, but is this kind of thing common to do when converting an older bike to fixed gear or 700c wheels?

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Put the pedal straps on yesterday... HOLY CRAP! I didn't realize how much of a difference it makes with a fixed gear. It's so much easier and definitely a lot safer... I was stupid to have gone so long without good foot retention!

Comment

A longer fork will raise the front of the bike slackening the head and seat tube angles. This will result is a bike that handles like a shopping cart with a bad wheel. It will make the steering really slow and heavy. This doesn't take into account the change in trail of the fork. The more trail it has, the slower it will steer, so, a taller fork with more trail is going to make for a very slow steering bike. Its like adding a suspension fork to a mtb built before 1994. It will make a really awesome riding bike not so awesome to ride.

Will
                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                  A longer fork will raise the front of the bike slackening the head and seat tube angles. This will result is a bike that handles like a shopping cart with a bad wheel. It will make the steering really slow and heavy. This doesn't take into account the change in trail of the fork. The more trail it has, the slower it will steer, so, a taller fork with more trail is going to make for a very slow steering bike. Its like adding a suspension fork to a mtb built before 1994. It will make a really awesome riding bike not so awesome to ride.

Will
                  Dang... Well, looks like I'll stick with this bike until I can afford to put together a good bike. Hopefully I don't die lol

Comment

Finally got some new handlebars. Disregard the bad tape job, it's only temporary until I get a new brake lever. I'm also still adjusting everything. I think I need a new frame sooner rather than later. This one definitely isn't the right size for me...

Comment

you fellas sure like your hipster bikes...
                      Originally posted by flyboyx
                      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                        you fellas sure like your hipster bikes...
                        I absolutely adore the simplicity of my singlespeed/fixie. Especially for riding around campus.

Comment

This is my 1983 Trek 600. It was completely original when I got it until I pringled the rear wheel doing drunken power slides down town one night trying to make fun of the fixed gear hipsters. Had to walk of shame it 3 miles home with the bike on my shoulder. So its got a cheap replacement rear wheel, cheap pedals, water bottle holder, pump holder, and one new brake cable. Other than that it is all 1983. I believe the original seat is petrified like one of those rocks you find in the woods that used to be nice soft wood. Every time I get back on it after a long hiatus from riding, I feel like someone took a sledge hammer to my taint bone.

sigpic

Comment

The visual of you pringling your rear wheel has be cracking up! Haha.

Anyone use MapMyRide? Let's be friends! Been riding to work as much as I can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367263851146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	7155294

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Damn, I wish I could ride to work.
                              1991 318i SOLD
                              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                                Damn, I wish I could ride to work.
                                ^This. I was excited as hell back in Jaunary when I thought I scored this job about 6km(just under 4miles) from where I lived...bastards.

But now I work about 32km away(20mi).
                                -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Working...
                                X