No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been riding this for about 3 weeks. I love that Bellingham has some of the best downhill trails in the northwest.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Files

Comment

Gonna be spending a fair amount of time in Beech Mountain NC on free weekends for the foreseeable future. Seems like down hill mountain biking is pretty big up there.

I was thinking about picking something up to ride some trails with when I am up there. I won't be competing or doing anything too serious. I don't want to put much more than a couple hundy into a rig. I was thinking I would look for something used on craigslist that will suit my needs.

I'm 6'4' 200lbs. I was wondering if you guys had an advice on what I should be looking for.
      sigpic

Comment

I would look for a good all mountain or free ride bike then. Pure DH bikes don't really let you pedal much. Look for a 19"+ frame, at least 5"of travel, and good hydraulic disc brakes. You may not find anything decent for only a couple hundred, even used. But keep your ear to the ground. I have a 5.5" travel Intense and love it on the DHs

Sent from my Note 2
        Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
          Gonna be spending a fair amount of time in Beech Mountain NC on free weekends for the foreseeable future. Seems like down hill mountain biking is pretty big up there.

I was thinking about picking something up to ride some trails with when I am up there. I won't be competing or doing anything too serious. I don't want to put much more than a couple hundy into a rig. I was thinking I would look for something used on craigslist that will suit my needs.

I'm 6'4' 200lbs. I was wondering if you guys had an advice on what I should be looking for.
          Originally posted by eduTechnic View Post
          You may not find anything decent for only a couple hundred, even used.
          QTF. For a couple hundred you're not going to get much, certainly not anything that'll hold up to a person your size riding downhill. Keep your eyes peeled for an old Kona Stab or Stinky, a rocky Mtn. RMX/RM7, or something along those lines. Those are some of the few I can think of that go for those prices & won't fold under you first run. Most likely the drive train, suspension, and brakes will be completely shot at that price point, so expect maintenance & repairs down the line. Or immediately.

Also, I don't think you want a 19" frame for DH, just get a large.
          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

My beater pos

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I would look for a good all mountain or free ride bike then. Pure DH bikes don't really let you pedal much. Look for a 19"+ frame, at least 5"of travel, and good hydraulic disc brakes. You may not find anything decent for only a couple hundred, even used. But keep your ear to the ground. I have a 5.5" travel Intense and love it on the DHs
              QTF. For a couple hundred you're not going to get much, certainly not anything that'll hold up to a person your size riding downhill. Keep your eyes peeled for an old Kona Stab or Stinky, a rocky Mtn. RMX/RM7, or something along those lines. Those are some of the few I can think of that go for those prices & won't fold under you first run. Most likely the drive train, suspension, and brakes will be completely shot at that price point, so expect maintenance & repairs down the line. Or immediately.

Also, I don't think you want a 19" frame for DH, just get a large.
              I guess I said that a bit wrong. I will mostly just be riding trails with some occasional downhill runs. Is a Univega Alpina 600 Lg anything i should consider at $250?

sigpic

Comment

Not really. Look for something newer. Try to pony up a bit more for full suspension or a hardtail 29er. A 29er hard tail is still a hard tail but rolls over bumps a bit easier and we always be a bit newt because they haven't been around overly long

Sent from my Note 2

Comment

Not really. Look for something newer. Try to pony up a bit more for full suspension or a hardtail 29er. A 29er hard tail is still a hard tail but rolls over bumps a bit easier and we always be a bit newt because they haven't been around overly long

Sent from my Note 2
                  If you're only doing occasional downhills... as in they are part of an overall singletrack you're riding (not heading to a ski resort to bomb down a mountain @40mph) then skip the full suspension. It adds weight and won't help that much; just learn to ride better lines.

You'll learn to ride the best lines full rigid, no suspension at all :pimp:

Oh! 29 can be good, or a 650b. Nothing against a 26" bike just becoming more rare.

Take a look at the Gravity G29, good entry level bike.

Comment

Went on a bike ride just now. The chain fell off and then while I was pushing it home the front tire blew out. WHAT THE FUCK.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Ermergersh. Put your chain back on! Hint:shift the front derailleur up while you pedal and you don't get your hands greasy

Sent from my Note 2

Comment

Ermergersh. Put your chain back on! Hint:shift the front derailleur up while you pedal and you don't get your hands greasy

Sent from my Note 2
                        What's a derailleur? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          What's a derailleur? ;)
                          Lol. Single gear problems.

Comment

it was also more of a catastrophic failure than just falling off :\

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              it was also more of a catastrophic failure than just falling off :\
                              Splosions. Sounds like a bad night.

Sent from my Note 2

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
                                I guess I said that a bit wrong. I will mostly just be riding trails with some occasional downhill runs. Is a Univega Alpina 600 Lg anything i should consider at $250?

Something along the lines of this would work really well.

Solid frame, parts are solid (Shimano LX from this era was more solid than anything below XT these days) the only weakness is the fork. It was good in its day, crap now. It could easily be upgraded to one of these and life would be good.

You can't fault a Titanium frame. I've been looking for one of these for years in my size (20 inch) I currently ride a Ti frame from '96 and have no complaints. It will last a life time

I'm not saying buy that bike, but if it fits (no size listed) it would be a good buy for someone looking to do what you are looking to do. Heck, even down the road, with some parts upgrades it would still be awesome. Newer isn't always better, its just newer.

Oh yeah, the Univega isn't a bad bike, but the parts are very low end and its heavy. Back in the day, Univega built some really good frames.

It would also be tough to go wrong with something like this. The frames were built by Yeti.

Will
                                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X