The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambo View Post
    Finally got out and rode for leisure for the first time in a while. Typically it's just to class and back. I'm really looking forward to moving somewhere a lot more bike friendly. And I'm also looking forward to being able to expand my collection...

My trusty 40 year old steed.

20150416-DSC_3682ps by PhillipKeefe, on Flickr
    Come to the northwest, the water here is just fine... And bike/e30 friendly.

In other news, going to give the Mizutani much needed work. Already started on removing the little spots of surface rust on the chrome and polish it, then it'll get re-wrapped grips, new shift cables and fine tune to the mechanism, HD inner tubes, new pedals, and possibly new aluminum wheels in the next week. Wasn't quite ready to ride in current state
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

I've had my Schwinn since'99 and i still ride it. Needed a seat with more cushion because i don't weigh the same as i did 15 years ago...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So this arrived…for my son…from his uncle.

Coeur d'Acier (= heart of steel), 2002
        Frame/fork and Mavic wheels.

Now we have to find enough used parts to make it into a bike for him.

[ATTACH]96426[/ATTACH]

Comment

What sort of build and you going for? Looks fantastic!
          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

It'll be collegiate road race. Free frame(!), but we have a limited budget so mostly used parts where wear isn't critical.

So I'm going for a mixed drivetrain, which has been done quite a bit lately. Chorus 11 brake levers / shifters - lighter, less parts, more comfortable, more reliable. You can shift up or down several gears at once.
            Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur 10 speed with an adapter. This changes the cable-pull-per-click of the shifter to the required distance for the derailleur. You get a 10-speed drivetrain.

Then you can use a cheaper, less finicky Shimano 10-speed derailleur, cheaper cassettes, etc. We just need a different freehub body for the Campy / Mavic rear hub.

We have a couple of Campy front derailleurs where adjustment isn't critical - you can feather the cage to stop rubbing.

I found a sweet carbon Record 10 crankset for $250 new in box. Probably get used Athena brakes. Have plenty of SPD pedals and shoes around from CX and MTN bikes. Used carbon seat post. Seat from the box-of-seats in the garage, same with stems and bars.
            Last edited by LateFan; 04-24-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hey first time in the bike thread and I'm sure this has been asked but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good mountain bike forum(there are so many out there and so far r3v is the only forum I use)
              I am a single speed rider in denver colorado so I don't know if there is anything specific I should be looking for

But I am really looking because I need help choosing part for my bike and finding a good repair dit section

For example is chris king stuff as good as it sounds
              I am looking to buy a rear chris king hub laced to a dx rim. on Craigslist for 350...good upgrade from shitty wtb hub?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Welcome to Ridemonkey! We are an online community catering to all types of biking, including downhill, freeride, cross country, trail and road biking.

A forum community dedicated to Mountain Bike owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about bike parts, components, deals, performance, modifications, classifieds, trails, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

Check out PinkBike.com for the latest in cycling and mountain biking news, freeride videos, photos, events and more. Submit your own biking pictures and videos online. Buy the latest biking DVDs and videos. Check race results.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  I've had my Schwinn since'99 and i still ride it. Needed a seat with more cushion because i don't weigh the same as i did 15 years ago...
                  dude.....sell me that. what forks are those?!
                  91 318is M50 swapped
                  05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Word thanks looks like mtbr is my new forum

Comment

Wasn't into getting out on the road yesterday so I did this instead:

Sooo much better than just spinning to the iPod! Wish I had done it sooner; I probably would have put in a bunch more time over the winter.
                      '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                      '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

New to me as of yesterday:

E46t

Comment

^^^ sweet! Where do you keep all those bikes in NYC?

Comment

Upside-down on my ceiling

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                              dude.....sell me that. what forks are those?!
                              Haha it's probably the only thing i own that has true sentimental value.

Forks are brandx titanium.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                                Upside-down on my ceiling
                                Watch your head!
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	7176477

Or get bigger walls…
                                Click image for larger version