Enjoying school...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying school...

After reading a bit of the 'my school is r3v' thread, I realized that you guys might be able to shed some light on this for me. I'm in my first year of engineering at purdue, and while I am doing fine grade-wise, I am not REMOTELY enjoying it. I seem to have very little in common with the people that surround me (not in a good way), and the majority of them appear to be thriving on the stuff that we are doing.

I'm liking the whole experience here, but the school aspect bores me to death. What I'm wondering at this point (and really have been for quite some time), am I likely to ultimately find that work itself is just as boring or that I went through school so I could do kickass stuff afterwards? Do those of you who are doing an engineering undergrad enjoy it?

I have no problem with the difficulty of the work or the fact that it's just going to get more difficult, but I don't want to find myself doing more of the same once I DO get out of school.

thanks a lot for any input
    chase

this is limited personal experience (im 19)but i found doing work is much more fulfilling than schoolwork.
    ________
    New Mexico Dispensary
    Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

working is ALWAYS better than school. It seems like you just don't like the people.
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I've been in school for engineering for 5 years now, I've gotten two associates(mechanical, and manufacturing) and working on my Bachelors(will be done this semester). I got an internship this summer working for a local company that makes bakery boxes, and realy enjoyed it. But I got to do a wide variety of stuff from cad work, to developing an Arc flash program. I guess it depends on what type of job you get into. The best question to ask is why did you get into engineering? do you like building things? designing stuff? or just want to make big bucks?
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Stay in School. If I had started there, I would have finished there, I wasted 4 years after 18 doing random shit, make the best out of the time you would otherwise waste.

Put it all in perspective, it's like saving up parts for a project car, they all add to the end product. but it's your life.

Comment

After thinking about it - drop out

Most of the top 100 richest people are college drop outs
            "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping that once I start to get to do internships and things that that will give me a much better idea of what life as an engineer is like. Really, I have ALWAYS been an engineer at heart, primarily for my huge interest/inclination towards working with cars and pretty much anything mechanical.

Between the introduction of matlab, the fact that so many of my peers' idea of a good time is doing calculus, and a few other things, it seems my interest has faltered. I just don't want to set myself up for something that I might not ultimately enjoy doing.

Also, I'm not considering dropping out, just trying to determine that this is what I want to do career-wise.

thanks for the help!

Comment

are you living on campus?

If you want to enjoy it more, just get involved in campus events. Get to know the people who live around you. Smile and say hi to them when you see them. Spend as little time as you can in your dorm room and especially sitting on your computer.

If you still find that you are not connecting with the people around you (if that's the main issue), don't be discouraged. We can't all be the life of the party. There's no excuse to isolate yourself from all social contact. Believe me, I know. It's only your first year and you're not even done with the first semester yet. It just might take some time for you to rediscover how interesting the subject matter was to you in the first place.

And has been said before, work is always better than school. I have not met one person who has graduated from college and who is working who would rather be back in school.
                My Feedback

Comment

Dude, you're in engineering. There's probably what, 2-3 females in your major, none of which are under 200 lbs or speak english, what do you expect? I had the same revelation in Computer Science.

Go liberal arts. Fun courses with a majority female population. You get graded for arguing.

-Charlie
                  Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                  '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                  FYYFF

Comment

A general rule for me is that engineering is pretty boring in terms of formation. I'd imagine that once you are in the job world you can be alot more creative. I took another route though, I said fuck engineering and went to Management and Marketing. At my last internship (volvo) people always asked me what engineering degree I had from my technical knowledge.. E30s ftmfw is what I told them.

I think getting a job as an engineer is easier than as a management type, though.
                    Julien
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      Dude, you're in engineering. There's probably what, 2-3 females in your major, none of which are under 200 lbs or speak english, what do you expect? I had the same revelation in Computer Science.

Go liberal arts. Fun courses with a majority female population. You get graded for arguing.

-Charlie
                      What do you actually do in life (a part from making fun of libs and driving your e30 in circles with a helmet on)?

Julien
                      Build Threads:
                      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
                        After thinking about it - drop out

Most of the top 100 richest people are college drop outs
                        stfu and stop trying to fuck up other peoples lives. Those people got lucky with an opportunity that they recognized, it has nothing to do with the fact that they did or did not to to college.

Stay on college, it is SOOOOO worth it. Engineering gets a lot better after the first 2 years, trust me on that! Once you get through all of the basic math/physics/chem you will start hitting the 'meat' of the subject material and it gets much more interesting. You get to apply all of the skills you've learned, go out on well-payed internships, work on projects and design lots of cool stuff. I know it seems like the stuff you are learning now is BS, but trust me you will need AND use it later on.

If you find that you are bored at school, I would recommend getting involved in some groups. Some examples might me ASME (American society of mech engineers) or SAE (society of automotive engineers). Both of those groups have student chapters at most schools. Not only do you get to meet lots of people and work on awesome projects, you can also get the hook-up on scholarships, internships and jobs. Not to mention you get to work on stuff like this!

475 lbs, 75hp, 0-60 in 3.4 sec, 1.5 lateral G's, 1.6 braking G's, 4-corner double wishbone suspension w/ inboard pushrod activation, titanium exhaust headers, CF body, in-house designed adjustable LSD, etc......

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          stfu and stop trying to fuck up other peoples lives. Those people got lucky with an opportunity that they recognized, it has nothing to do with the fact that they did or did not to to college.

Stay on college, it is SOOOOO worth it. Engineering gets a lot better after the first 2 years, trust me on that! Once you get through all of the basic math/physics/chem you will start hitting the 'meat' of the subject material and it gets much more interesting. You get to apply all of the skills you've learned, go out on well-payed internships, work on projects and design lots of cool stuff. I know it seems like the stuff you are learning now is BS, but trust me you will need AND use it later on.

If you find that you are bored at school, I would recommend getting involved in some groups. Some examples might me ASME (American society of mech engineers) or SAE (society of automotive engineers). Both of those groups have student chapters at most schools. Not only do you get to meet lots of people and work on awesome projects, you can also get the hook-up on scholarships, internships and jobs. Not to mention you get to work on stuff like this!

475 lbs, 75hp, 0-60 in 3.4 sec, 1.5 lateral G's, 1.6 braking G's, 4-corner double wishbone suspension w/ inboard pushrod activation, titanium exhaust headers, CF body, in-house designed adjustable LSD, etc......

I guess you thought i was being serious. You must have very little common sense and\or low reading comprehension.

I was hoping that line would fire one of you guys up, though...

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
                            I guess you thought i was being serious. You must have very little common sense and\or low reading comprehension.

I was hoping that line would fire one of you guys up, though...
                            After reading all of your posts in

it seemed pretty serious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              After reading all of your posts in

it seemed pretty serious to me.
                              You mean the ones reccomending that he go to night school and get a business degree?

Or the one where I said (repeatedly) that I am working on a degree and am a huge advocate of higher education?

Or how about when I noted MANY times that college does make things alot easier?

Oh - but I see how you can get me suggesting dropping out from that.

Seriously - learn to connect the dots. You are majorly missing my point in that entire discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X