Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SacE30 View Post
    I'm 16, taking flight lessons this year. Dad has been a pilot 25+ yrs. love to fly!!!
    Lucky you. I wish I could afford to take lessons. If push came to shove, I bet I could take off and land a plane. I grew up around them. My dad flew, and I spent many hours in the right seat of our Cessna 175. Heck, I was flying on instruments before I could see over the dash or for that matter reach the rudder pedals. We flew to Canada a few times. I haven't been able to get a ride in a plane since '98 or so when a friend in college brought his 152 down for a weekend. I really miss flying.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
      Lucky you. I wish I could afford to take lessons. If push came to shove, I bet I could take off and land a plane. I grew up around them. My dad flew, and I spent many hours in the right seat of our Cessna 175. Heck, I was flying on instruments before I could see over the dash or for that matter reach the rudder pedals. We flew to Canada a few times. I haven't been able to get a ride in a plane since '98 or so when a friend in college brought his 152 down for a weekend. I really miss flying.

Will
      Wow thats cool, i never been in 175 before. My dads buddy has cherokee 180 thats what i flown in. And it wont be too expensive, my dad will be teaching me! he has the commercial license but also an instructor license! So I am pretty excited about that. Well, if i were you find a friend with a nice Cessna and go out a fly!! nothing beats the joy of flying, puts a smile on my face every time i go up!

Comment

Originally posted by SacE30 View Post
        Wow thats cool, i never been in 175 before. My dads buddy has cherokee 180 thats what i flown in. And it wont be too expensive, my dad will be teaching me! he has the commercial license but also an instructor license! So I am pretty excited about that. Well, if i were you find a friend with a nice Cessna and go out a fly!! nothing beats the joy of flying, puts a smile on my face every time i go up!
        The Cessna 175 is a rare bird. I think they made less than 1000 of them. Ours was a '59 model. It would fly circles around a 172, but a 182 would eventually get away. They had a bad reputation for engine destruction, if you tried to make it climb at the listed #s, but if you backed off a little, it was a fantastic motor and ran great. It used a Continental GO300.

I don't know anyone with a plane here. I've been hanging out at the Schellville airport near Sears Point. If you have never been there, its worth the flight over. Its a working museum of really cool airplanes. There are two P51s, a P40, a pair of T6s, 13 Stearman, a T28, a DC3, a Tiger Moth, 3 or 4 Cessna 195s, at least 4 Globe Swifts, several Ryan STAs a pair of Fairchild 24s, a couple of Wacos, a Staggerwing Beech, plus what ever else happens to show up on the weekends. Heck they even flew a B17 in there and landed it on the grass strip next to one of the main runways a couple years ago. One of the P51s, the Staggerwing, and the T28 never come out. They haven't been flown in decades and just sit in a hanger collecting dust. The other P51 and P40 are out on a regular basis if the weather is good as are several of the Stearman and one of the T6s.

Heck, I'd be thrilled to just go for a quick hop around the pattern in a Champ or something. It doesn't have to be super cool, it just has to fly. I really do miss flying. Growing up in the mountains, we got some good flying up there. I've flown over the top of Mt Lassen (got caught in a thermal that just kept going up, we topped out at about 12000 feet if I remember correctly.) Its a lot different flying in the mountains than it is down here. Its a lot more tricky since the winds do different things, and storms can kick up in the afternoon during the summer. Still, great flying.

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

I just stumbled across this video from late last year. These guys just went out and set the time to climb record for the aircraft weight class earlier in the week at Santa Rosa.
          There aren't many opportunities to be a small part in aviation history, but, I was present to capture this historic event in Wendover, Utah with team SteadFast. visit…

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            A10_landing_on_autobahn_1984_DoD_DF-ST-84-09440.jpg
            wat.
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

badass

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Just graduated boot camp. Wasnt to bad, cant wait to get out there and do some real work. my rdc was an ao and had so many carrier stories.

GKUREY- Congrats on making tailhook!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madman23 View Post
                  Just graduated boot camp. Wasnt to bad, cant wait to get out there and do some real work. my rdc was an ao and had so many carrier stories.

GKUREY- Congrats on making tailhook!!!
                  congrats. what's your rate?
                  sigpic89 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Ral View Post
                    congrats. what's your rate?
                    AD. You? Im the only AD but there are a ton of AMs with me.

Comment

Taken by my brother in law a few months back.

Considering taking a 7 day IFR course down in Kansas, has anyone ever done something like that here? I need to build up more PIC time cross country first though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice DC7 clip. For you radial buffs.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerboy08 View Post

Considering taking a 7 day IFR course down in Kansas, has anyone ever done something like that here? I need to build up more PIC time cross country first though.
                          I did a 8 day CFI course. Was probably one of the hardest things i've ever done, but very rewarding. Just be careful who you go to, some of them rent dry some wet, some have hidden fees.
                          Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                            http://marcbrecy.perso.neuf.fr/DC7.html

Nice DC7 clip. For you radial buffs.
                            awesome video. Love the old radials. I'm a connie lover myself, but the DC7 is a very cool bird.

Comment

Originally posted by madman23 View Post
                              AD. You? Im the only AD but there are a ton of AMs with me.
                              He's a COD pilot IIRC
                              e92 M3
                              e30 M3 s52 swap
                              w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                              190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Time to resurrect this thread!

Anyone going to Oshkosh this year? I'll be there w/ a T45!

Comment

Working...
                                X