No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did some work for a guy I met at my local airport, I'm currently in IFR training and he's always offering me odd jobs here and there to help me pay for fuel so i can get out there and fly more! Anyway, I had never seen this before and I thought it was pretty legit. After doing some research though turns out it is a lot more common than I realized! But this aircraft he is building for himself has a LS3 with LS7 heads on a constant speed prop. I took a couple of quick pictures, hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

lastly, some general aviation humor (much funnier when you fly 172's 12 hours a week!)

Comment

Should of had a Nerf gun
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Was over in Norway and Scotland, there were spotters everywhere.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Nice picture man - such a massive bird! BTW - clear out your PMs...been trying to respond to you for a few weeks, haha!

Comment

For the blackbird nuts out there - now cutting a limited number of TITANIUM SR71 and A-10 openers.

Comment

Thought I'd post this here -
              One of the last two Doolittle Raid veterans, Dave Thatcher, died yesterday at 94. He was the gunner / engineer on the "Ruptured Duck" B-25, and saved the survivors of his plane after if crashed in the surf on the coast of China. His pilot, Ted Lawson, had a leg amputated in a jungle clinic, and wrote the book "30 Seconds over Tokyo" which then became a movie.

The nickname of the plane was because it hit its tail on take-off during a training flight. My son met him twice and built a very nice replica scale model of Dave's B-25.

Dave was a mailman here in Missoula MT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rduckref.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	7185899

Name:	Doolittleraiders_2.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	7185900

Museum replica

Name:	09B25RupturedDuckMachineGunNoseArt.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7185901

Dave Thatcher far right

Name:	Ruptured_Duck_Crew.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7185902

Comment

Apparently Gen. Doolittle and my grandfather were pretty good friends back in the day, and he was a frequent dinner guest at the grandparents house. Gramps died long before I was born, but so go the family stories anyway. I have really nothing else of use to add, but those guys had some giant brass ones to conceive of, and execute that strike.
                e92 M3
                e30 M3 s52 swap
                w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Dave Thatcher service -

Name:	Thatcher flyover.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	7186047

EDIT - the man in the white hat and cane third from the right is Dick Cole, Doolittle's co-pilot and now the last survivor at 100 years old.

Last edited by LateFan; 06-28-2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

A photographer friend and I have been thinking of heading out to Las Vegas to try and shoot either a Red or Green Flag exercise being flown out of Nellis AFB. We aren't talking just shooting from the end of the runway, but actually trying to find a location out in the desert where they are doing the exercise. Has anyone here tried to do this before, or flown one of the exercises?

At this point we are doing a feasibility study to even see if its possible to get some good shots or if it would be a waste of time and $ to try. It looks like Coyote Summit near Rachel could be a good spot to watch, and perhaps Tikaboo Valley, but its really hard to track down the locations of where the exercises take place.

Any ideas?

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                      A photographer friend and I have been thinking of heading out to Las Vegas to try and shoot either a Red or Green Flag exercise being flown out of Nellis AFB. We aren't talking just shooting from the end of the runway, but actually trying to find a location out in the desert where they are doing the exercise. Has anyone here tried to do this before, or flown one of the exercises?

At this point we are doing a feasibility study to even see if its possible to get some good shots or if it would be a waste of time and $ to try. It looks like Coyote Summit near Rachel could be a good spot to watch, and perhaps Tikaboo Valley, but its really hard to track down the locations of where the exercises take place.

Any ideas?

Will
                      Generally speaking, Nellis exercises take place within the confines of the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR). Unlike most other similarly large training ranges, about half the airspace is a restricted area. Due to the sensitive nature of the place, as well as surface hazards from legacy nuclear testing, ground access is also quite restrictive in a lot of areas. I think the reason you don't see a lot of this is 1) it isn't easy to find a place where you aren't going to be rolled up by security folks, and 2) the quality of what you might get……..ie you are going to have maybe a super zoomed in pixely photo of a single aircraft, or perhaps a couple contrails with no extra detail if the environmentals are correct. People who look at aviation pics want to see the airplanes, and the best place to do that is probably watching jets launch out of Nellis, or if you can get in, jets marshaling on the ramp. Just my .02. I wouldn't expect to get the cool in flight shots that guys in rural UK do amongst the low level routes out there.
                      e92 M3
                      e30 M3 s52 swap
                      w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

^that was a very well thought out response that i generally agree with.

it is difficult as hell to get any sort of decent close up pictures of military training exercises here in the usa. low level maneuvers are pretty much only done in areas civilians don't have access to unless its at an airshow.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
                          Generally speaking, Nellis exercises take place within the confines of the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR). Unlike most other similarly large training ranges, about half the airspace is a restricted area. Due to the sensitive nature of the place, as well as surface hazards from legacy nuclear testing, ground access is also quite restrictive in a lot of areas. I think the reason you don't see a lot of this is 1) it isn't easy to find a place where you aren't going to be rolled up by security folks, and 2) the quality of what you might get……..ie you are going to have maybe a super zoomed in pixely photo of a single aircraft, or perhaps a couple contrails with no extra detail if the environmentals are correct. People who look at aviation pics want to see the airplanes, and the best place to do that is probably watching jets launch out of Nellis, or if you can get in, jets marshaling on the ramp. Just my .02. I wouldn't expect to get the cool in flight shots that guys in rural UK do amongst the low level routes out there.
                          Yes I do realize this. However, when pics like this pop up, (From Coyote Summit shot at 300mm)

and this

clearly they are using the corridor. I've also heard people say they have seen f15s dropping flares so low they were hitting the ground before igniting. Clearly they are closer to civilization than it would seem. I'm just interested in the flight corridors since Area 51 is off limits to all, Creech Afb is likely a restricted airspace, and there is another drone base off to the south west of A51 that is most likely off limits, the actual combat area must be closer than it would seem.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

You are correct that the western range, to include R4808A are restricted. If I were you, I'd contact the folks that took those pictures, and see where they shot them from (or in the first case, looks like you have your answer). That is probably your best bet at getting good info. FWIW, Coyote Summit is underneath the eastern MOA's, well outside the places the government doesn't want you wandering around.
                            e92 M3
                            e30 M3 s52 swap
                            w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

I've been doing a bit of digging and I've found another place for epic shots. Rainbow Canyon, aka Jedi Transition or Star Wars Canyon. It runs between the Owens Valley and Death Valley along highway 190.

This says alot about the location...

This thread is pretty epic, I'm going to explore the forum more later.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Yep, I can vouch for that spot. Spent about 15 minutes there at Father Crowley Point and saw two F-18s below me diving into the canyon, really cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X