Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazyness

Comment

Cool "how to video" about take off and land in a crosswind done in MS FSX.

Crosswind take-off and landing demo using the RealAir SF-260 in FSX. I'm operating out of KOAK, on runway 29, wind was reporting 210 at 20 knots gusting to 2...
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
        that statement is not true. I sat right seat on a Gulfstream 4 and flew out of PDX in Atlanta with a Citation X taking off parallel runway headed to SAV Savannah Ga. Home of Gulfstream. Both captains placed a bet on who would get there faster. The X had a greater climb but in Cruse the gulfstream gave better true airspeed numbers...

The airbus landing was a disaster from the start. The crosswind component was way out of spec and had no business trying to land there. Should have called for a different runway or gone to the Alt airport filed in the flight plan.
        Well as tested, it is the fastest civilian jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
          The airbus landing was a disaster from the start. The crosswind component was way out of spec and had no business trying to land there. Should have called for a different runway or gone to the Alt airport filed in the flight plan.
          Werd.

155mph gust, I don't think so. You only get that kind of wind in a micro burst situation. But, even if the winds were that crazy, the crew had no business attempting a landing in those conditions.

At least they did the right thing and applied "radar power" (defined as slamming the throttles forward until your knuckles smash the radar display screen) and did a go-around.

From my perspective, and granted I don't know what the conditions were like, the pilot screwed the pooch on the landing. He was not doing too bad, but he carried too much speed for the flaps that he had in. He let it float instead of flying it to the runway. He got too slow for the crosswind component that he did have and when he tried to put a wing down and cross control to align with the runway, he let the aircraft increase its rate of decent too quickly. Ugly.

Now, a huge gust of wind will cause about the same thing, but, and here is the kicker, airliners are not allowed to attempt an approach if the weather conditions are outside the parameters for the equipment they are flying. That means the conditions had to be within limits for them to shoot the approach. I think the airlines and all are just trying to cover their collective asses.

I have landed in nasty crosswind situations. I have landed in bad enough conditions where we did it with no flaps (an emergency procedure) and I have done it when I had to run the throttles to control the crab because we were out of pedal. It will make you sweat. You are working your ass off up there. It is not a simple or easy maneuver, but, it can be done safely if you stay on top of things. That pilot should have started a go around about 10 seconds before he did. He got lucky.
          1987 E30 325is
          1999 E46 323i
          RIP 1994 E32 740iL
          oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
            At least they did the right thing and applied "radar power" (defined as slamming the throttles forward until your knuckles smash the radar display screen)
            LOL - I'll have to remember that one. I'm always running into professional pilots. They are a whacked out bunch.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              Cool "how to video" about take off and land in a crosswind done in MS FSX.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I96s0VLB_rU
              Nice. That is how it is done. I like when he said that you would normally crab because it feels more comfortable. It does. When you put the aircraft in a slip, it feels like you are falling out of the airplane. But, just before touchdown, you transition from the crab to the slip to align the aircraft with the runway. You run into trouble when you don't have enough rudder to hold the slip. Gusting winds will also cause you to have to make continuous adjustments to all the controls. You do get busy.

However, big airliners can't always use a full slip. The Boeing's are especially bad about this. The engine pods are so low that if you slip too much, you will drag an engine. Planes going into the old Hong Kong airport used to do it all the time (especially KAL for some reason). The Boeing is designed to handle at lot of cross component on landing. In other words, the gear is designed to handle side loads because your are not perfectly aligned with the runway when you touch down.

Most airplanes don't like to be sideways when you touch down. It can break a gear. Cessna's like to throw you back up into the air because of their spring type gear setup.
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                LOL - I'll have to remember that one. I'm always running into professional pilots. They are a whacked out bunch.
                It was appropriate for one of the aircraft I flew since the radar was right in front of the throttles :p

At times like that you don't really care about cooking the engines. Most jets and turbo props will put out a heck of a lot more power, for brief periods, than they are rated for. We would normally take off using 3850lbs of torque on each engine. If we needed RTOP (Reserve take off power) if an engine failed, we could go to 4300lbs of torque. However, if you go Radar power, you would easily exceed 5100lbs of torque on both engines. You would have to rebuild the engine after doing it, you would cook the turbines, but if you save you and your passenger's lives then it is worth it. It is exactly what we were trained to do to recover from wind sheer created by a micro burst.
                1987 E30 325is
                1999 E46 323i
                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
                  Cessna's like to throw you back up into the air because of their spring type gear setup.
                  I have done this before.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                    Are there reprecutions for the pilots if you do something like that?
                    Depends on why you needed to use the power. If it was to avoid a situation caused by something out of your control, then no, there would be no reprecutions. If it was because you did something stupid, then yes, there could be reprecusions. But, it is always better to save the people and cook the engines. Nobody would ever question that part.
                    1987 E30 325is
                    1999 E46 323i
                    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

With all due respect to what could have came and has come from those situations, considering hindsight, I would have loved to be on that plane. Scariest shit I've ever experienced was intense turbulence with the plance dropping sharply and violently rocking to the point you'd expect something to snap right off. Mad screams and food carts slamming. A couple of the filght attendants were injured as well... Other than that I remember once flying into Miami in REALLY bad thunderstorms. I was younger but remember it vividly! I don't know if the pilot was on a tight schedule or if fuel was low but this just seem to be pressing something he should have layed off. For what seemed an eternity, we were just circling around the airport in the thick of the thunderclouds with the plane accelarating and then dropping, accelarating and then dropping. It was like dropping of the peak of a roller coaster time and time again every 15 seconds...

Comment

My scariest was having a f******king buzzard come through the windshield. Got so much blood and guts in the cockpit I thought I was decapped. :blowup:The sound was horrible. So I will take a max effort crosswind and a late fuel truck during a lightning storm any day. I am still picking upholstery outta my ass!

Comment

Originally posted by FL318is View Post
                          My scariest was having a f******king buzzard come through the windshield. Got so much blood and guts in the cockpit I thought I was decapped. :blowup:!

That happened to a guy at my flight school in Sanford FL on his Commercial check ride with the FAA.

Where did you do your flight training?
                          Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

At least they didn't crash.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
                            X