American Exceptionalism
Collapse
X
-
Country has become more liberal and now our eyes are open to the atrocities that we have committed and the general disdain that other places and even people have for the establishment and the power that we wield over not only the citizens of other countries but the citizens of our own who are deemed to be of a lesser class. There is nothing more American or more true to our countries roots then to question authority and to strive for absolute perfection. I am not saying its wrong to love your country but obviously the modern connotation is much more loaded then a simple expression of gratitude as you have proven by your posts in this thread stating that the establishment is simply the best and the status quo is the way to go. I have a problem with anyone thinking that the 1950's or 1960's are heroic times in which the most good and the least bad existed and that the left wing radicals ruined our perfect little bubble. There are many social problems that are still lingering today from the bubble of the 50's, inequality for one, social pressure to attain radical conservative ideals (stepford wife, the pull of the subburbs), teenage angst as depicted in movies such as Rebel Without a Cause. What we have now is the same only different, and the difference is that our eyes are more open because our world is more connected, so elitist and egocentric views are no longer good foreign policy for countries and individuals. -
BTW the name America was first attributed to my continent, South Amercia, by a map maker via a Amerigo Vespucci's supposed stop on South America's eastern coast... But of course there is alot of controversy surrounding all that.Leave a comment:
-
I think it would mean instant death to our economy.Leave a comment:
-
i'm not going to read the whole discussion but i can say that US is THE most generous country in this planet. people here are mostly exposed to what is reported in the (really bias) media: the war, the tsunami etc. There is so much more, most of their charitable work, donations, helping other countries, troops all over the world helping out (colombia/FARC) etc etc etc. I thank it i thank you.
BUT
I am going to correct everyone on their believes of "FREEDOM"... as a resident i feel very limited and regulated in all aspects of my life here.. security and peace of mind is another thing... freedom and "free society" is experienced in many different ways and just about every country out there has as much if not more freedom so i don't understand why most americans say "we fight for liberty/freedom the works". keep this in mind a ton of countries have better living standards than USA.
edit:
and you are the kind of ignorant ... that thinks that USA so great that you don't need the rest of the world...hehe look around you right now, your computer/desk. what % of things are made here in usa...i mean not just the manufacturing, but material. your car, what do you think it runs on? your food. who do you think picks it and allows it to be so (relatively speaking) cheap? i see usa as a big customer service center seriously. be careful in this kind of thinking, what if the rest of the world cuts YOU off?the only way to show other countries how much they need us (and yes we need them in return) is to cut them off
america should go into anti social mode for a couple of years just to show everyone what it would be like without america. put crazy tarriffs on foreign goods and go into self sustaining mode. I think it would be a wake up call to the world.
edit: yeah we have some dumb people, so do youLast edited by etxxz; 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM.Leave a comment:
-
the only way to show other countries how much they need us (and yes we need them in return) is to cut them off
america should go into anti social mode for a couple of years just to show everyone what it would be like without america. put crazy tarriffs on foreign goods and go into self sustaining mode. I think it would be a wake up call to the world.
edit: yeah we have some dumb people, so do youLeave a comment:
-
bahahahahahaha.
are you really that one-eyed or just winding us non americans up?
Friends of mine went to the states on a holiday and had people ask where they were from, friends replied "New Zealand", and were then asked "oh, what state is that in?" :violent
how can you say that when a number of your population don't even know about the existance of other countries?Leave a comment:
-
it surprises me that more people don't specify our country as the United States of America.
"America" and "American" are technically very diverse terms. terms that encompass much more than just our states and their residents.
not that everyone participating in this thread can't make the inference that we're speaking about the United States of course. i just felt the need to chime in here. it's something that i notice a lotLeave a comment:
-
I started this thread because there was so much bashing going on and nothing positive. I do believe that we do more for the world than any other single nation in a myriad of fronts, and I think we're the best (for me). Maybe "best" isnt even a good way of putting it at all - for the amount of good we do, the world community might want to think twice about their attitude twoards us. Also, we internally need to think higher of ourselves, hold ourselves to higher moral standards, and generally become better people. We are more than capable of doing that - and I think that we can with the right attitude.Leave a comment:
-
This exemplifies my point. He has national pride, which he should. You're not starting a who is better thing with me - I'm just glad to see someone speak positively of their country for a change.Hi

I don't want to start a big Argument, but I truly believe, Australia is one of the greatest countries in the world. It is certainly the most multi-cultural country in the world. I think there can be no universal "best" country in the world, since there will always be people who think otherwise.
Everyone I've spoken to that has traveled to America has said it is great, but they wouldn't want to live there. Now of course if you're born there, America is your whole life, and I'm sure most people wouldn't change it for the world. But again I'm sure, the same can be said for alot of Countries.
I fucking love Australia, I have never been to America, but it is somewhere I really want to visit. Truth be told, alot of people don't want to spend there lives in one country, and few do, they want to travel and experience what other places on the globe have to offer.
One Country simply can not have everything.Leave a comment:
-
I've traveled to many different countries as well, and there isn't any I'd rather live in or work in besides the US. I also have LIVED and worked in multiple different countries.Hi

Everyone I've spoken to that has traveled to America has said it is great, but they wouldn't want to live there. Now of course if you're born there, America is your whole life, and I'm sure most people wouldn't change it for the world. But again I'm sure, the same can be said for alot of Countries.
One Country simply can not have everything.
I don't think its fair to assume you wouldn't want to live somewhere by just visiting. All you see by visiting is the tourist attractions and culture. You don't actively participate in our government or really see how the country works.Leave a comment:
-
Congratulations! that is fantastic for you and your family.I'll leave emotions and other thoughts out and represent my proudness in living in the US. I was born in Brasil and migrated here with my parents. I have also been to many different countries and for more reasons than I care to list now, I am very happy to reside in the United States of America.
Too the majority, if not all that reside here, I would say read and learn a bit of what this country was founded on, what common men and others took up and sacrificed to establish these States United. What is available and attainable here cannot even be compared to what exists in other countries IMO. My parents just became US citizens a couple of days ago (dual-citizenship) and I am next.
God Bless the United States and keep its shepards.Leave a comment:
-
Hi

I don't want to start a big Argument, but I truly believe, Australia is one of the greatest countries in the world. It is certainly the most multi-cultural country in the world. I think there can be no universal "best" country in the world, since there will always be people who think otherwise.
Everyone I've spoken to that has traveled to America has said it is great, but they wouldn't want to live there. Now of course if you're born there, America is your whole life, and I'm sure most people wouldn't change it for the world. But again I'm sure, the same can be said for alot of Countries.
I fucking love Australia, I have never been to America, but it is somewhere I really want to visit. Truth be told, alot of people don't want to spend there lives in one country, and few do, they want to travel and experience what other places on the globe have to offer.
One Country simply can not have everything.Leave a comment:
-
that's what most fail to understand, those coming over illegally without their number one priority being to attain residency and learn the language are or at very least become a taxation on the whole US and its legal residents/citizens... Needless to say, it's a huge issue on so many levels.
I also hate how the world and even US residents/citizens have created this "American" and "white" bullshit... It's completely ignorant!Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: