American Exceptionalism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf1600
    I'm not sure anyone hates it - they are just able to consider that it may not be the best.
    +1. Being able to be flexible and consider other possibilities even does a lot more even if the conclusion is the same because you were open-minded that your thinking wasn't right, even if it was ultimately.

    Ted: Read Lukes. It's about exploring different worlds based on different philosophies and EVERY SINGLE PERSON he talks to believes their nation is the BEST POSSIBLE.

    It gives a lot of perspective on American mindset, and in the end, gives a rough idea of what an ideal nation would be.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    Nobody said I am closed to any new or foreign ideas. I just simply have pride that the USA is the best country in the world. I guess it is pretty arrogant of me to be tolerance of you and your ideas, and trying to counter you, while you go for the personal attack. I think the share of ideas is what makes this country great, the fact that you and I can agree to disagree. However, nowhere did I ever state that I dislike people like you as you did to me. I love everybody of all ideas and we can hold a debate about them. So, I guess I am the truely arrogant one since I am accepting of you and you are not of me.
    Originally posted by trent
    I am one of those bitter Americans who clings to my gun and relgion.
    If you think this country is best, then why would you be open to ideas from other countries? Typical conservatives don't want change to alter anything about their current situation at all. They ignore other people and don't like seeing other peoples perspectives because theirs is so right in their mind.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    that's fair... so what is?
    Since my goal in life is to be happy - heeter summed it up

    Originally posted by rwh11385
    http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06...ideShows_ssi_5

    http://www.physorg.com/news73321785.html

    The happiest nations in the World are:

    1 - Denmark
    2 - Switzerland
    3 - Austria
    4 - Iceland
    5 - The Bahamas
    6 - Finland
    7 - Sweden
    8 - Bhutan
    9 - Brunei
    10 - Canada
    15 - The Netherlands
    19 - Norway
    23 - USA
    35 - Germany
    41 - UK
    62 - France
    82 - China
    90 - Japan
    125 - India
    167 - Russia



    Americans seem to think that money = happiness, and a lot of the what the happy Northern Europeans seem to think that is there is more to like.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf1600
    I'm not sure anyone hates it - they are just able to consider that it may not be the best.
    that's fair... so what is?

    EDIT: I'm spent. No need to answer that. I just see a lot of negativity, and nothing positive. /rant

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    i doub't it gets locked - i'm just trying to figure out why people hate their own way of life.
    I'm not sure anyone hates it - they are just able to consider that it may not be the best.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf1600
    This thread is retarded. IBTMFL
    i doub't it gets locked - it's staying pretty civil.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    Nobody said I am closed to any new or foreign ideas. I just simply have pride that the USA is the best country in the world. I guess it is pretty arrogant of me to be tolerance of you and your ideas, and trying to counter you, while you go for the personal attack. I think the share of ideas is what makes this country great, the fact that you and I can agree to disagree. However, nowhere did I ever state that I dislike people like you as you did to me. I love everybody of all ideas and we can hold a debate about them. So, I guess I am the truely arrogant one since I am accepting of you and you are not of me.

    Sorry dude - but you don't seem very tolerant. You come off as being very close minded.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    That leads to arrogance like Trent and he is shut off to any new or foreign ideas. And that's why we can't get along. Arguing with Americans is like arguing with a brickwall.
    Nobody said I am closed to any new or foreign ideas. I just simply have pride that the USA is the best country in the world. I guess it is pretty arrogant of me to be tolerance of you and your ideas, and trying to counter you, while you go for the personal attack. I think the share of ideas is what makes this country great, the fact that you and I can agree to disagree. However, nowhere did I ever state that I dislike people like you as you did to me. I love everybody of all ideas and we can hold a debate about them. So, I guess I am the truely arrogant one since I am accepting of you and you are not of me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    great, keep religion out of this.
    Sense the sarcasm.

    And heeter - for once you and I are on the same page.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    This thread is retarded. IBTMFL

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    I'm not certain why it's assumed that because I think america is the best, that I completely ignore what positives other nations have. I never said that everyone else is wrong/stupid/ignorant/etc. The fact that I literally have to defend the fact that I think that my country, the place that has provided me with the opportunity to be alive, live in relative security, etc., is the best. I would expect someone from Germany, a country that is reasonably nationalistic, to think that they are the best.

    Just because you think something is the best doens't mean that there isn't anything wrong with it, if nothing else you can see the potential and want it to continue to improve.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Like I said before, I do like it here. We have a lot of cool shit going on, and freedoms... but that's not saying we can't learn from other cultures. Simply closing our ears to other nations and stubbornly and arrogantly stating we're the best and don't need to change won't get us very fair and builds a disconnect between us and other countries, even while our government/military do what we feel is right without others consent. We should realize if we have power it is also our responsibility to not base all our decisions on what we think we know. We're quick to rely on how we have always thought, and not considering anything else. Having pride is one thing, having pride in having pride is another. That leads to arrogance like Trent and he is shut off to any new or foreign ideas. And that's why we can't get along. Arguing with Americans is like arguing with a brickwall. I had the random opportunity to argue with a drunk Irish national at the bars one night, and again randomly at a house party, but we both stated our points and no one said "Bah, you're wrong and I"m right".

    I plan to keep Europe as my vacation spot of choice, and will try to become an ex-pat for a while again. I'd encourage others to live there, not just visit to see sights but experience the culture. Whether it's the neighborhood pub in the UK or drinking at work, or Bavarian beer houses where the community is laid back, enjoying themselves, etc. I'm definitely wanted to get to Sweden soon and see what it is like. International opportunity and working abroad will probably be a big thing for me in my career, ex-pat maybe only while young or old and bring my family... but I just hope I can live in more of the world, not sit on my ass here and proclaim the best is here.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by project86
    Look at you almighty defender of what is right and just, you are a martyr for all that is good in this great land. Get off your high horse. You are like Rush Limbaugh, you attack and then retreat and hide behind the establishment claiming that all those on the left are simply out to ruin what exists.
    country has become more liberal, and it's gone further into the shitter. This is NOT the point of this thread.

    No one answers the question as to why it's not OK to say you love your country, root for it against others, and generally have pride in it regardless of it's faults.

    There are a lot of POS e30's on this board that people LOVE more than any other car on the road. It's not perfecet, but they love it and will defend it. It's part of them. But if someone says they love American, their a closed minded arrogant hick.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Heeter if you love the other countries so much, why don't you move there? Seriously. You have the freedom to leave here, but you don't. So, something must be keeping you here. You should move to Eugene - you would LOVE it here. 2 ethanol stations, more bike shops than car dealerships, regular demonstrations against the general establishment, there are a TON of hybrids, free tibet bumper stickers, and an anti-economic growth/capitalism/religion/SUV/gun/success and huge movement to legalize a number of currently illegal drugs.

    EDIT: This isnt an attack saying get the fuck out or something, but seriously though. You really sound like you LOVE these others places - why not simply move there? If I found someplace that I liked a lot more than here, I'd leave in a second. I haven't had that happen, so I'm not leaving - you on the other hand have found someplace.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by project86
    Look at you almighty defender of what is right and just, you are a martyr for all that is good in this great land. Get off your high horse. You are like Rush Limbaugh, you attack and then retreat and hide behind the establishment claiming that all those on the left are simply out to ruin what exists.
    Thanks for another personal attack. Typical liberals.

    Leave a comment:

Working...