It's one thing to care about what other nations/people think of the US. It's another to know that you're going to piss people off, but we've got to do the right thing anyways.
We're one of the only (if not the only) country that goes to war, blows the living hell out of everything, then takes the time and money to rebuild. But others only see the "Shock and Awe" on CNN.
I may not agree 100% with everything our country has done, but that rebuilding is the type of stuff that makes me proud.
American Exceptionalism
Collapse
X
-
Guest repliedThe problem I have with what you stated is the fact that this isn't an American problem. As you stated earlier in this thread, the USA has given more money and aid to the rest of the world. The USA is the most giving country in history. Without the US, China and India would not have grown. Part of all of our taxes has gone to help many many countries throughout the world. There is no reason that one cannot take pride that the US has helped so many countires and their people. Yes, there is a line between pride and arrogance, and maybe I am closer to arrogant side because of how giving the USA has been. Maybe the problem is with the rest of the world's people and countires, who are envious of the USA and the aid and support that we throw to countries without the blink of an eye.We're involved in the world and make impacts on others and we shouldn't consider other people we interact with and understand what they are doing? We are going to do things and other countries would be open to hear us if we cared to hear them. The US "we're going to do what we want" isn't popular and does not get people to play with us, so we're the bully of the playground they see and doesn't help our situation.
I mean, we could just be arrogant and try to run the world including people who want their own freedom and wait until some people fly planes into our buildings as a sign of their dislike for us...
An Indian national I know said 9/11 was justified. Of course I don't agree but I at least understand how someone could feel that way. We're not winning friends in the world being arrogant, and sitting back and being Mr. Moneybags and influencing people when they need us isn't the way to go. If India and China continue to grow in strength they could be influence and then who will listen to the has-been US? What if someone doesn't respect us like we didn't respect other parts of the world?Leave a comment:
-
Actually... it is very different. We haven't been the best behaved country in the world and didn't play nice all the time. If someone was from a culture who feels victimized by the US, they may feel something should be done. Even if I don't feel the same way, I could see why he has negative feelings - and to not see how that would be possible is arrogance that we can do no wrong.
Of course, you could just grill someone for not seeing the world and the actions of the US in the same light as you and be like many other Americans and people who dealt with him. And then we'll just be where we are now - for the most part not giving a shit how the world thinks about the US and then wondering why France and other nations don't like us, or respect our policiesLeave a comment:
-
Ok, so you don't agree, but you understand how someone else feels that way... Thats not much different pal.
Most people say we're bullies NOW, after 9/11, not before.Leave a comment:
-
We're involved in the world and make impacts on others and we shouldn't consider other people we interact with and understand what they are doing? We are going to do things and other countries would be open to hear us if we cared to hear them. The US "we're going to do what we want" isn't popular and does not get people to play with us, so we're the bully of the playground they see and doesn't help our situation.
I mean, we could just be arrogant and try to run the world including people who want their own freedom and wait until some people fly planes into our buildings as a sign of their dislike for us...
An Indian national I know said 9/11 was justified. Of course I don't agree but I at least understand how someone could feel that way. We're not winning friends in the world being arrogant, and sitting back and being Mr. Moneybags and influencing people when they need us isn't the way to go. If India and China continue to grow in strength they could be influence and then who will listen to the has-been US? What if someone doesn't respect us like we didn't respect other parts of the world?Last edited by rwh11385; 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM.Leave a comment:
-
I've been surrounded by a few stubborn conservatives in organizations recently and am sick of the brickwall mentality. What sounds hateful? I'm just annoyed along with other people of the world and see what people say about Americans.
Being flexible in view is not necessary flexible in belief. It simply means one allows themselves to think about how one thinks about what one stands for. The focus is always the same, it's just through different perspectives.I'll look into it.
So what DO you stand for then? If you're always flexible and moulding when are you holding strong and ahereing to a belief system? That's the problem with constantly re-evaluating and questioning yourself - you loose sight of what made you, you after a while.
It's the difference between "I believe because I believe" and "I'm been open to other concepts are out there and through my enemies eyes of what I believe, and have come back to this with a greater understanding and appreciation for it, along with the others"Leave a comment:
-
I love my country, I love the people that live here, I just hate the people that run itLeave a comment:
-
Guest repliedThanks, that is what I was going to say. Just because I feel that the USA is the BEST, doesn't mean that it can't get better. Maybe there are a few ideas out there that could make the USA even better than BEST.Leave a comment:
-
Guest replied -
I'll look into it.+1. Being able to be flexible and consider other possibilities even does a lot more even if the conclusion is the same because you were open-minded that your thinking wasn't right, even if it was ultimately.
Ted: Read Lukes. It's about exploring different worlds based on different philosophies and EVERY SINGLE PERSON he talks to believes their nation is the BEST POSSIBLE.
It gives a lot of perspective on American mindset, and in the end, gives a rough idea of what an ideal nation would be.
So what DO you stand for then? If you're always flexible and moulding when are you holding strong and ahereing to a belief system? That's the problem with constantly re-evaluating and questioning yourself - you loose sight of what made you, you after a while.Leave a comment:
-
that's a stereotype - and now an attack on people with a conservative mindset. Some of your stuff sounds pretty hateful, which drives the divide further. Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it comes of like that.If you think this country is best, then why would you be open to ideas from other countries? Typical conservatives don't want change to alter anything about their current situation at all. They ignore other people and don't like seeing other peoples perspectives because theirs is so right in their mind.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: