American Exceptionalism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    I am not the one making an ass out of myself. Who is the one who doesn't like the greatest country in the world? You.
    I like it here. I don't like stubborn arrogant Americans who give us a bad name, like you.

    Leave a comment:


  • project86
    replied
    Maslow is a square, and actually you can accomplish his hierarchy anywhere, however his hierarchy is incredibly biased towards the modernized world.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    You could, but you would be making an ass out of yourself. Maybe there is a Trent in Denmark thinking that everyone in the US would only wish they could live in Copenhagen...
    I am not the one making an ass out of myself. Who is the one who doesn't like the greatest country in the world? You.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    What difference does that make that I haven't lived there? I can read. I know what I want to do and how I like to live my life. I do come into contact with people who are not from the USA, and I am able to probe their mind.

    Also, do you not think that other countries, like say FRANCE, would do nothing but love to see the US fail? They want a return to power - same used to go for the UK. Everyone is self-interested... but we're not supposed to be.
    Of the people you are in contact, how many came here? Doesn't that create a gigantic selection bias?

    I wouldn't assume they want to return to power. Running the world to some people isn't as important as being with family, friends, and happy. Look at Switzerland which has a STRONG desire to be unaffiliated with any alliance, group, or other people's affairs.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Europe and othe countries accomplish the first two levels nicely and possibly better than the US, and arguably the third could be had regardless of location. I feel that the US does a better job through having a greeter amount of freedom and reduction in government interference of allowing people the opportunity to get to the higher levels - particularly self-actualization. But again, this depends on what your definitions are, and what you are trying to accomplish.
    morality, lack of prejudice, friendship, relationships, family? I feel we give these things up sometimes. if you don't, fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Now you are talking about errosion of our society and it's moral values; which go hand-in-hand with "progressive" thinking and socialization. You take the pledge out of classrooms, remove anything resembling winning and loosing from childhood sports and grades, and you breed a generation of coddled, spoiled brats. The people who are the problem in this country are not the people in small towns who "Cling to their guns and religion" - rather they preach hard work, right and wrong, consequences, etc - the problem is people who ingest 90 hours of VH1/MTV/BET/CMT every week, read shitty gossup magazines and think that's the way it's supposed to be without having the slightest idea of what it takes to get there. This affects men and women, young and middle aged, etc.

    On another point with this, the countries that you have cited think that Americans are overworked, wasteful, arrogant, rich and the downfall of the world as we know it. Well, there are lot of people who think western europe is full of stoners and drunks who rock on the gov's dime while they buy their excessively good hash from a bar down the street. Is this accurate? Probably not, but neither is their depiction. Everyone I talk to who comes back from europe talks about the architecture, the history, etc - but almost eveyryone also marvels at how easy it is to get fucked up there on some sort of substance. Painting innaccurate pictures goes both ways.
    You have to ask yourself who is having the biggest influence in the country? The people who stick to their roots, families, lives, and happiness, or the consumer culture?

    Western Europe is ranked below the US. It's the Northern Europeans that are happier, besides Switzerland and Austria which are not western. The only people raging in Amsterdam are English-speaking tourists: UK and some US. One of my close friends spent a semester in Holland and what you spoke of is more UK-stereotype... which I've seen and which you hear see in the music of the The Streets, a line: "Sex, drugs and on the dole" (DOLE is unemployment benefits in UK.) Dutch people were pretty chill and they like to ride bikes, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    Does that even matter? (really) It goes both ways, and you're again assuming that our way of life is the best, although that's all you have ever known presumably.
    What difference does that make that I haven't lived there? I can read. I know what I want to do and how I like to live my life. I do come into contact with people who are not from the USA, and I am able to probe their mind.

    Also, do you not think that other countries, like say FRANCE, would do nothing but love to see the US fail? They want a return to power - same used to go for the UK. Everyone is self-interested... but we're not supposed to be.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Europe and othe countries accomplish the first two levels nicely and possibly better than the US, and arguably the third could be had regardless of location. I feel that the US does a better job through having a greeter amount of freedom and reduction in government interference of allowing people the opportunity to get to the higher levels - particularly self-actualization. But again, this depends on what your definitions are, and what you are trying to accomplish.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    happiness is great Heeter, but what about Maslow? I think you've got a better shot in the US than most places to move higher up the ladder.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Your psychological data is valid, but it changes based on the country. It's not a fair comparison. Those people may be happier than I am based on the situation because they fit into that mold, but I WOULD NOT be happy in their situation. Does that make sense, or do I need to elaborate further (not being a dick, i'm making sure this is clear).
    Does that even matter? (really) It goes both ways, and you're again assuming that our way of life is the best, although that's all you have ever known presumably.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by project86
    UofO You're a business major huh?
    Apparently, it's that obvious.

    Leave a comment:


  • project86
    replied
    UofO You're a business major huh?

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Your psychological data is valid, but it changes based on the country. It's not a fair comparison. Those people may be happier than I am based on the situation because they fit into that mold, but I WOULD NOT be happy in their situation. Does that make sense, or do I need to elaborate further (not being a dick, i'm making sure this is clear).

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    The trouble is that your views are in the minority.
    How many divorced families are there? How many kids are raising themselves? How many bad philosophies are being adopted from bad influences on television? How many crimes are people wanting more, even if that won't make them better? How many people are at X income and think XX income would make them happier and live a better life when there's other things to find enjoyment in.

    Like I said, the American machine is powerful, but lacks consideration of certain things. If we open up how we interpret happiness and our goals of our life, then we could maybe improve how we are.
    Now you are talking about errosion of our society and it's moral values; which go hand-in-hand with "progressive" thinking and socialization. You take the pledge out of classrooms, remove anything resembling winning and loosing from childhood sports and grades, and you breed a generation of coddled, spoiled brats. The people who are the problem in this country are not the people in small towns who "Cling to their guns and religion" - rather they preach hard work, right and wrong, consequences, etc - the problem is people who ingest 90 hours of VH1/MTV/BET/CMT every week, read shitty gossup magazines and think that's the way it's supposed to be without having the slightest idea of what it takes to get there. This affects men and women, young and middle aged, etc.

    On another point with this, the countries that you have cited think that Americans are overworked, wasteful, arrogant, rich and the downfall of the world as we know it. Well, there are lot of people who think western europe is full of stoners and drunks who rock on the gov's dime while they buy their excessively good hash from a bar down the street. Is this accurate? Probably not, but neither is their depiction. Everyone I talk to who comes back from europe talks about the architecture, the history, etc - but almost eveyryone also marvels at how easy it is to get fucked up there on some sort of substance. Painting innaccurate pictures goes both ways.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    Did I say that? No. However, because I believe in this country, take pride in this country, and understand what makes this country great, I can easily assume that most people in the world would want to live in the USA. Simple as that.
    You could, but you would be making an ass out of yourself. Maybe there is a Trent in Denmark thinking that everyone in the US would only wish they could live in Copenhagen...

    Leave a comment:

Working...