American Exceptionalism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by mtechnik
    I will just say that I respect Ted very much for trying to bring about a balanced discussion/ opinion.

    I mean we all should be patriotic of our own particular country to some degree..shouldn't we.?? There's a reason why Earth comprises of different countries. Different groups of people sharing a common identity to some extent.

    Had my carefully typed say; before this thread implodes and gets locked.
    Thanks, and I agree with what you're saying.

    Every great athlete, driver, business person, leader, etc. HAS to have some self-belief otherwise they are going to fail.

    I bet people in Denmark think we have our priorities way skewed (as bobby pointed out) - and that's totally OK. They don't have to live here. I'm not saying this to sound like a dick or whatever, so don't take it that way. It's just the truth as I see it.

    We have seperate visions of the way life should be; countries do and seperate people do. I don't spend time thinking about what other people in other countries should do because I'm not there, don't have to live their life, etc. The world can't turn a blind eye to genocide or major human rights violations, but barring that each country will do as it sees fit - stopping only when the policy changes/etc. have a major impact on a neighboring country or the global community.

    For instance, Lee and I have a vastly different view of global commerce and government and how America is fitting into this and that's fine. I'm sure Lee is a great guy, I've heard nothing but amazing reviews of the products he sells and his customer service, he has some kick ass cars, and probably could teach 99% of the people on this board some good driving technique. What bothers me, as an example of one person from one country labeling another, is that I don't pay attention to the Canadian governmental system. I don't call out his leaders for being "X" and making stupid decisions because I don't have any say over what's going on. I can't armchair-quarterback his government when I don't participate in the process. Then I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem. Same goes for any other country.

    Leave a comment:


  • alexw
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    I've always said you should never be "proud" to be an American. You should be happy, and feel lucky and fortunate that you are an American.
    All due respect... Fuck that.

    I'm an American, I'm proud of that. I'm an American service member, I'm proud of that as well.

    I HAVE seen and lived in other countries, I don't doubt we've got it the best. I agree, we have our faults, and we're due for some change, but I for one will stand by our country.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied


    http://www.physorg.com/news73321785.html

    The happiest nations in the World are:

    1 - Denmark
    2 - Switzerland
    3 - Austria
    4 - Iceland
    5 - The Bahamas
    6 - Finland
    7 - Sweden
    8 - Bhutan
    9 - Brunei
    10 - Canada
    15 - The Netherlands
    19 - Norway
    23 - USA
    35 - Germany
    41 - UK
    62 - France
    82 - China
    90 - Japan
    125 - India
    167 - Russia

    The meta-analysis is based on the findings of over 100 different studies around the world, which questioned 80,000 people worldwide. For this study data has also been analysed in relation to health, wealth and access to education

    "There is increasing political interest in using measures of happiness as a national indicator in conjunction with measures of wealth. A recent BBC survey found that 81% of the population think the Government should focus on making us happier rather than wealthier.

    “It is worth remembering that the UK is doing relatively well in this area, coming 41st out of 178 nations.

    "Further analysis showed that a nation's level of happiness was most closely associated with health levels (correlation of .62), followed by wealth (.52), and then provision of education (.51).

    "The three predictor variables of health, wealth and education were also very closely associated with each other, illustrating the interdependence of these factors.

    “There is a belief that capitalism leads to unhappy people. However, when people are asked if they are happy with their lives, people in countries with good healthcare, a higher GDP per captia, and access to education were much more likely to report being happy.
    Americans seem to think that money = happiness, and a lot of the what the happy Northern Europeans seem to think that is there is more to like.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    I guess that's valid. My whole life, I've always just marveled at how unbelievably lucky I was to have been born in this country. I mean, think about it. You could have been born into half a million other horrible conditions in a dozen different third world countries, into poverty, sickness and squalor you can't imagine. But your particular path in the universe put you here. That's why I've always just considered myself happy to be an American more than proud, but you're right, there's nothing wrong with having pride in who you are. Unless you're white, then you're a racist. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    haha.

    oh trent.

    you singleminded patriot.

    wow. it's just such concentrated arrogance.
    If there were more people who were happy with this country as I am, this would be an even better country. That is what is so awesome about this country, even people like you who hate it, are still open to all the amazing opportunities of this country.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    Pride does nothing more than create arrogance (not saying you are) and bigger problems, and you can't take pride in something that you more or less "happened" into.
    Pride? WTF? You can certainly take pride in your country when you have the freedom to live anywhere else in the world that you want. I understand your point about being "born into it," but that is a crock.

    Along those lines Josh, what about those people who are have pride to be a particular race. Black Pride, AZN Pride, White pride. All these people are born into this, and there is nothing wrong with having pride in who you are, and what makes you great. One of the definitions of pride relates to having self-respect and self-esteem.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    And? I can't be the only who who could give a flying fuck about the rest of the world. Let them be envious of the amazing opportunities and lifestyles we have here in the USA. There are people all over the world who would want to be at a mediocore position in the USA. Why? Being mediocore in the USA is being 100x better than anywhere else in the world.

    The USA is the best country in the world. The best. Period.
    haha.

    oh trent.

    you singleminded patriot.

    wow. it's just such concentrated arrogance.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    Or underlines much of the world's annoyance with the American self-image
    And? I can't be the only who who could give a flying fuck about the rest of the world. Let them be envious of the amazing opportunities and lifestyles we have here in the USA. There are people all over the world who would want to be at a mediocore position in the USA. Why? Being mediocore in the USA is being 100x better than anywhere else in the world.

    The USA is the best country in the world. The best. Period.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtechnik
    replied
    I will just say that I respect Ted very much for trying to bring about a balanced discussion/ opinion.

    I mean we all should be patriotic of our own particular country to some degree..shouldn't we.?? There's a reason why Earth comprises of different countries. Different groups of people sharing a common identity to some extent.

    Had my carefully typed say; before this thread implodes and gets locked.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stevie30
    replied
    I agree with Merle Haggard; If you don't love it, leave it: Let this song that I'm singin' be a warnin'. When you're runnin down my country, man, you're walkin on the fightin' side of me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Why is it not OK to be proud of being an American, regardless of flaws?
    I totally agree with everything you've said, Ted. But I did want to touch on this.

    I've always said you should never be "proud" to be an American. You should be happy, and feel lucky and fortunate that you are an American. If you were born in this country, you were born here by nothing more than a stroke of cosmic chance. Yes, your parents live here and that's why you were born here, but that's part of it. Pride does nothing more than create arrogance (not saying you are) and bigger problems, and you can't take pride in something that you more or less "happened" into.

    Do I love this country? Yes. Does my government piss me off on a daily basis? Oh yes. But I thank my lucky stars every day that I was fortunate enough to win a cosmic lottery, if you will, and be born in this country.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Where's Pasha for a civics/history/foreign policy lesson?

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    It is OK. It's not okay to say we're the best and there's nothing else out there that were are missing out on because we have the assumption we're the best and that's it. Culture keeps changing, and not for the better. Technology is, but we're losing humanity quickly for the interests of profits and "well-being". Some nations may be moving slower to "catch up" but really are rooted in other things that seem undervalued here. The American machine may be efficient, in the aims of its intent but not in life.


    HEY. Someone record this, I agree with Patrick.

    The US would get a lot further if we were not so damned arrogant and expecting other nations to be like us in order to be successful. They may have their own definition and be happy, very happy, with it: Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Canada...

    I could care less what other countries want to do. They can do whatever they please. This isn't arrogant, it's that I'm not there and don't have to live in the situation. They should govern, etc. as they see fit.

    The problem I have is that when something bad happens, we're going to be the ones called on - even though they call us "arrogant" and "wasteful" and generally crap on the country.

    Success corrupts a lot of people, and the quick success that we've had in the last 120 years or so has been tough to deal with. it's like a 16 year old with 50 mil in the bank sometimes; bad decisions are made.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf1600
    God made us #1 because he loves us the best.
    great, keep religion out of this.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    God made us #1 because he loves us the best.

    Leave a comment:

Working...