American Exceptionalism

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Happiness as defined by who? I wouldn't be happy in a society where the government dictated so much of my life, or I wasn't in a position to become as successful as I possibly could. I would be demotivated and frustrated.

    Asking people if they are happy is just such a tough thing to gauge - I know there are parts of my life where I certainly wasn't happy; but it was my fault and no one elses.
    http://www.le.ac.uk/users/aw57/world/sample.html

    It is worth taking a moment at this point to explore the psychological research into SWB. In the literature a major distinction is drawn between brief emotional episodes, periods of joy or acute happiness, and an underlying state of happiness. This underlying state is conceptualised as a sense of satisfaction with one’s life, both in general and in specific areas of one’s life such as relationships, health and work. It is this underlying state of happiness, a measure of subjective well-being (SWB), that is the focus of most current research. A good example of this is the Satisfaction With Life Scale (Pavot & Diener, 1993), a currently popular measure of SWB.

    The measurement of something as intangible as SWB is not without difficulties. Schwarz & Stack (1999) have shown, for example, that temporary mood states can influence a participant’s response to SWB measures. However others have shown that temporary moods have only a marginal effect on SWB responses when compared to longer-term influences (Eid & Diener,1999). It has also been shown the long-term changes to an individuals circumstances can affect levels of SWB (countering the suggestion that SWB is biologically determined). Brickman, Coates & Janoff-Bulman (1978) showed that lottery winners were significantly happier than controls, and controls were happier than people who had recently become paraplegics (although the effect was insufficient to reject the null hypothesis due to a small sample size). As such it has been shown that temporary mood states have only a marginal effect on SWB, whilst long term changes and situational factors have a significant effect on SWB.

    Whilst happiness is in itself intangible measures of SWB have been shown to be both valid and reliable (Pavot & Diener, 1993). In addition, measure of SWB have shown to be closely associated with more tangible outcomes that would be expected to correlate with measures of SWB. There is extensive evidence of correlations between SWB and general health (Diener, 2000). Arrindell, Heesink & Feij (1999) also found that the use of medical services correlated negatively with SWB. This finding was further supported by Eid & Diener (1999) who showed that SWB was a significant predictor of mental health levels.

    Having shown that SWB is affected by long-term situational factors, and that SWB is closely associated with positive outcomes, researchers in positive psychology have focussed on how to increase levels of SWB (see Snyder, 2002, and Seligman, 2006). Diener (2000) has shown the effect of financial well-being on SWB. Additionally, Inglehart (1990) has shown meeting the basic needs of people, needs such as healthcare, education and housing, have strong effects on SWB.
    Satisfaction With Life Scale (Pavot & Diener, 1993), a currently popular measure of SWB.

    Below are five statements that you may agree or disgree with. Using the 1 - 7 scale below indicate your agreement with each item by placing the appropriate number on the line preceding that item. Please be open and honest in your responding.

    * 7 - Strongly agree
    * 6 - Agree
    * 5 - Slightly agree
    * 4 - Neither agree nor disgree
    * 3 - Slightly disagree
    * 2 - Disgree
    * 1 - Strongly disgree

    ____ In most ways my life is close to my ideal.

    ____ The conditions of my life are excellent.

    ____ I am satisfied with my life.

    ____ So far I have gotten the important things I want in life.

    ____ If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    And do you know what it is like to live in Holland, Denmark, Sweden?
    Did I say that? No. However, because I believe in this country, take pride in this country, and understand what makes this country great, I can easily assume that most people in the world would want to live in the USA. Simple as that.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    I didn't miss the point. Sure these people can be happy in their own countries, but they don't know how much happier they could be in the good ol' USA.
    And do you know what it is like to live in Holland, Denmark, Sweden?

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    Is that wrong? I've came to the realization that money, stuff, etc. is not ultimately going to make me happy or fulfilled. With that said, I like nice stuff. I got a job that paid well so I could buy nice stuff, and a degree that helped me get that job.

    I have found happiness in the bottom of a coors light, at 7k with a CF airboxed s14, and volunteering with kids. What's the point? that in each case, the more financially secure you are, the more enjoyment you can get out things AND the more you can give back.

    If I own a business, I'm having a bigger impact on someones life DIRECTLY than the government could ever hand out in socialization or stimulous checks. I can help them earn the money to send their kids to school, have free time to volunteer with the PTA, volunteer time as a driving instructor at an HPDE day - all of which better other peoples lives.
    The trouble is that your views are in the minority. Bill Gates spends a lot of time and money helping others, and the US is one of the best at doing such, but think about Enron and the people who fill out airwaves. Paris Hilton for example. The girls from Laguna Beach - yeah, one of the girls I know is from their HS and is a pretty ignorant about the world and a spoiled brat.

    A lot of people give up themselves and their values for money, give up time with their kids, and often happiness, in the pursuit of money. How many people in the US complain about hating their job? Plenty. And how do they deal with this?

    We can afford to do other things with our time and give back, which is great, but there are those among us who are too busy worrying about their income than their family, friends, community, etc.

    How many divorced families are there? How many kids are raising themselves? How many bad philosophies are being adopted from bad influences on television? How many crimes are people wanting more, even if that won't make them better? How many people are at X income and think XX income would make them happier and live a better life when there's other things to find enjoyment in.

    Like I said, the American machine is powerful, but lacks consideration of certain things. If we open up how we interpret happiness and our goals of our life, then we could maybe improve how we are.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    I didn't miss the point. Sure these people can be happy in their own countries, but they don't know how much happier they could be in the good ol' USA.
    hahaha

    Trent is just a chainsaw.

    He does raise a point, however. Other than not being able to smoke pot here legally, they probably could do more of what they love in the US. More land, more money, more diverse climate, etc. BUT - that may not equate to happiness.

    Maybe i'm just too efficient minded or something (which is possible) and devoid these discussions of the "human" factors... but injecting a discussion of happiness into a thread that is SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY after you shit on it just doesn't seem to make sense. It's like saying you're not happy, and just continuing your self-loathing.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    You're missing the point. You said everyone in the world would be envious to be an American and their life would be 100X better if in a mediocre position in the USA.

    Only... there are 20+ countries in the world in which the people are a lot happier where they live than Americans are to be here.
    I didn't miss the point. Sure these people can be happy in their own countries, but they don't know how much happier they could be in the good ol' USA.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    You're missing the point. You said everyone in the world would be envious to be an American and their life would be 100X better if in a mediocre position in the USA.

    Only... there are 20+ countries in the world in which the people are a lot happier where they live than Americans are to be here.
    Happiness as defined by who? I wouldn't be happy in a society where the government dictated so much of my life, or I wasn't in a position to become as successful as I possibly could. I would be demotivated and frustrated.

    Asking people if they are happy is just such a tough thing to gauge - I know there are parts of my life where I certainly wasn't happy; but it was my fault and no one elses.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    Thank you for proving Ted's point. If there not so many people like you who fault this country instead of loving it, we would be in an even better position.
    You're missing the point. You said everyone in the world would be envious to be an American and their life would be 100X better if in a mediocre position in the USA.

    Only... there are 20+ countries in the world in which the people are a lot happier where they live than Americans are to be here.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by alexw
    You know why everyone has an opinion on the US? It's because we're so influential in the world...
    True.

    Has anyone else noticed that the more "progressive" we become, the less we are liked in the world?

    The more we try and bend over backwards to accomodate others, the less we are able to handle ourselves. If you let other people define you, they can destroy you.

    It is our responsibility as Americans to be good stewards in this world because we are influential and powerful. I've just had it with people saying nothing but negative things about the US, when we have done so many great things for this world over time - not without fault, but no one and nothing is perfect.

    In the 1940's and 50's - Americans were revered. We helped rebuild europe, were infamous for bone jarring handshakes, honest deals, and strong personality while at the same time having compassion and vision to fight for human life and freedom. We didn't talk about socialized anything - people worked and didn't expect a handout. Talking to senior citizens, they just don't understand. They went to work for 40 years doing physical labor, and people today think they are above flipping burgers at McDicks. Now, we also had racial problems that shouldn't have existed at that time. If we could mate the unification of racial divide with the values of that society, we one again could be reveered by others in the world.

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    If you spent 2 years of your life building a beautiful, large house for your family, with your own hands from the ground up, you would be very proud of it, what you've built, and what you've achieved. But if someone just gives you that same house, while you may be proud to own it and to live in it, you can't take THE SAME pride in what it is and how it got there. That's all I'm saying, I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't be proud of the USA, just that there are different types of pride.
    Josh, how the fuck can you think that? This is America, where we have a voice in building this country or a house. Look at McCain–Feingold. When the American people saw what BS this Act was, they took to the phones, emails, demonstrations. You know what? It got fucking dropped like a hot potato -- because of the people. When I heard about that Act, my voice was heard. We have the amazing freedom of having direct access to our "representatives." I take pride in being American, and take pride in that I helped and will continue to help build this country to be better.

    Leave a comment:


  • alexw
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    I think you guys are vastly misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying in any way, shape or form that I'm not thankful and happy to be an American, or that I don't love this country. But you CHOSE to join the armed forces, you were fortunate enough to be BORN into the country. There's a difference, that's all I'm saying. Pride in something varies depending on how it was achieved.

    If you spent 2 years of your life building a beautiful, large house for your family, with your own hands from the ground up, you would be very proud of it, what you've built, and what you've achieved. But if someone just gives you that same house, while you may be proud to own it and to live in it, you can't take THE SAME pride in what it is and how it got there. That's all I'm saying, I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't be proud of the USA, just that there are different types of pride.
    Fine, but I'm still proud, you can stay "happy". ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • trent
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06...ideShows_ssi_5

    http://www.physorg.com/news73321785.html

    Americans seem to think that money = happiness, and a lot of the what the happy Northern Europeans seem to think that is there is more to like.

    Thank you for proving Ted's point. If there not so many people like you who fault this country instead of loving it, we would be in an even better position.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Originally posted by alexw
    All due respect... Fuck that.

    I'm an American, I'm proud of that. I'm an American service member, I'm proud of that as well.

    I HAVE seen and lived in other countries, I don't doubt we've got it the best. I agree, we have our faults, and we're due for some change, but I for one will stand by our country.
    I think you guys are vastly misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying in any way, shape or form that I'm not thankful and happy to be an American, or that I don't love this country. But you CHOSE to join the armed forces, you were fortunate enough to be BORN into the country. There's a difference, that's all I'm saying. Pride in something varies depending on how it was achieved.

    If you spent 2 years of your life building a beautiful, large house for your family, with your own hands from the ground up, you would be very proud of it, what you've built, and what you've achieved. But if someone just gives you that same house, while you may be proud to own it and to live in it, you can't take THE SAME pride in what it is and how it got there. That's all I'm saying, I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't be proud of the USA, just that there are different types of pride.

    Leave a comment:


  • uofom3
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385

    Americans seem to think that money = happiness, and a lot of the what the happy Northern Europeans seem to think that is there is more to like.
    Is that wrong? I've came to the realization that money, stuff, etc. is not ultimately going to make me happy or fulfilled. With that said, I like nice stuff. I got a job that paid well so I could buy nice stuff, and a degree that helped me get that job.

    I have found happiness in the bottom of a coors light, at 7k with a CF airboxed s14, and volunteering with kids. What's the point? that in each case, the more financially secure you are, the more enjoyment you can get out things AND the more you can give back.

    If I own a business, I'm having a bigger impact on someones life DIRECTLY than the government could ever hand out in socialization or stimulous checks. I can help them earn the money to send their kids to school, have free time to volunteer with the PTA, volunteer time as a driving instructor at an HPDE day - all of which better other peoples lives.

    Leave a comment:


  • alexw
    replied
    Originally posted by uofom3
    What bothers me, as an example of one person from one country labeling another, is that I don't pay attention to the Canadian governmental system. I don't call out his leaders for being "X" and making stupid decisions because I don't have any say over what's going on. I can't armchair-quarterback his government when I don't participate in the process. Then I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem. Same goes for any other country.
    You know why everyone has an opinion on the US? It's because we're so influential in the world...

    Leave a comment:

Working...