anyone knowledgeable on shingles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone knowledgeable on shingles?

i put an architectural 40 year asphalt shingle roof on my single family dwelling about 10 years ago. never again by the way but,,,, im starting to see some staining or dark streaks on the shingles running downward. im not sure what it is but its hard to believe its mold or algae as there are no trees directly over the roof. there has to be some product i can spray on there and rinse off and get rid of this shit. any roofers on here that know what it might be??? thanks and eat an algae covered dick
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

We have the concrete shingles here in S FL and we just pressure wash them with bleach. It works pretty well.
    Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

On the north side? Got pictures? Sounds like Gloeocapsa magma.....

Comment

Weird. We used the same type and haven't had a problem even with trees over the house. Moss usually grows on the lower lip of the shingles so I'm stumped.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

You cant really see it but that is a white roof. Its more prevelant where the rain washes down. Usually dirt that is blown in the wind when the roof is wet. Collects and the only way to get it off is to climb the roof and pressure wash it.

Comment

yes its mold, you can pressure wash it off if you want to get on your roof and deal with it.

Comment

x2 on the pressure washer.
              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

whats the climate like where you live (in gods country)?

was the old roof removed and replaced, or did you go over the previous roof?

does your house have a shallow-pitched roof?

Comment

Originally posted by thectrlguy View Post
                  On the north side? Got pictures? Sounds like Gloeocapsa magma.....
                  gloeocapsa magma sounds like something id paint sloans face with. but yes, the north side on a meduim pitch roof. now that i think about it, in the winter it doesnt get much sun. you cant pressure wash asphalt shingles can you? youd blow all the granules away

sales@blunttech.com
                  www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Roof algae stains occur on asphalt shingle roofs, usually on the north side. The roof algae starts as dots, then takes a cone shape and can eventually cover

To rid roofs of these stains, shingle manufacturers recommend a mixture of TSP (Trisodium phoshate), household bleach, and water. Roof cleaning will not affect shingle warranties and is recommended by manufacturers to remove bacteria and similar roof growths*.

;)

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
                      whats the climate like where you live (in gods country)?

was the old roof removed and replaced, or did you go over the previous roof?

does your house have a shallow-pitched roof?
                      climate is similar to yours in new york. i took the old roof off down to the wood and started fresh. 8/12 pitch or so

sales@blunttech.com
                      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
                        you cant pressure wash asphalt shingles can you? youd blow all the granules away
                        You can, just adjust the pressure accordingly. Assuming your pressure washer has spray adjustments, start at the lowest setting and crank it up as needed. If you have a scrap shingle left over from the re-roof, use that as a test piece before getting started.

Jon
                        Rides...
                        1991 325i - sold :(
                        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

yeah use bleach in the feeder tube and your good to go. We have to do ours like 1 time a year to keep it up to code for the HOA. Its a bitch but looks great when done.....

Comment

Someone already posted this link LINK TO SITE

The girlfriend (Architect) figures this is a suitable approach, wouldn't pressure wash it however.... Note the installation of copper stripes near/at the peak of the roof line.

EDIT: or ask Sloan how he gets it off his face.... lol

Originally posted by blunt View Post
                            gloeocapsa magma sounds like something id paint sloans face with. but yes, the north side on a meduim pitch roof. now that i think about it, in the winter it doesnt get much sun. you cant pressure wash asphalt shingles can you? youd blow all the granules away

Comment

Originally posted by thectrlguy View Post
                              Someone already posted this link LINK TO SITE

The girlfriend (Architect) figures this is a suitable approach, wouldn't pressure wash it however.... Note the installation of copper stripes near/at the peak of the roof line.

EDIT: or ask Sloan how he gets it off his face.... lol
                              nice man, thats exactly what i have. that article says not to power wash but keep it wet with oxygen bleach (not chlorine)for 30 minutes then brush with a broom and rinse. apply long strips of copper under the uppermost shingles and that will kill the new shit forming. im going to get an extra pint and send it to sloan in texas. i feel bad leaving him like i did last time looking like a spackled ceiling

sales@blunttech.com
                              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X