Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look for a bike on craigslist.

Comment

Yikes $3000/year for liability on an E30? I pay $35 a month for full coverage, but anyway.

If you are worried about the 250 being underpowered, then look for a Ninja 500.

I would also vote for the SV650, great starter bike, blast to ride, reliable etc etc etc, only thing I don't like is lack of adjustable suspension, it has preload only, although you can swap on a gixxer shock for much improved handling.

Stay away from the Buell, really.

You are on the right track. MSF is a must and should get you a discount on your insurance. Budget at least $500-700 for gear, buy race boots as well, I've seen lots of broken ankles just wearing tennis shoes, work boots and even the "street" moto boots.

Local dealerships should have some used bikes that have come in on trade, there may even be a shop dedicated to used bikes, there is one in Tulsa like that.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
        I didn't drive drunk. I thought I was doing the smart thing by sleeping it off in my truck.

As seen here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ighlight=drunk

Anyways, I was busy all day. I'll take a look at some of the bikes you guys suggested. Thanks.

oh shit deal

i started on a ducati 750, not very fast bike but it was fun, you can pick em up pretty cheap also. good luck

Comment

Def recommend an SV650 as a starter bike. Get a SV 650S so the bike will look somewhat sexy. Plus, it being a 650 and all, will leave you plenty of room to grow and advance your skills.

If you don't want a vtwin (which I wouldn't understand cuz they sound amazing!) then a Kawi Ninja 250R would be a safe bet. It's the "perfect" starter bike according to the majority. The new '08s are really sharp looking, but I would think any "guy" would outgrow this bike in a matter of minutes.
          Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

get a naked sv650 if you choose that bike
            plastic fairing + $$ to repair when you dump it the first time (not if, but when)

Comment

After looking around, I really like the ducati monster. I've always wanted a Ducati, and the 620 model isn't insanely powerful at 83 hp. I've ridden more powerful bikes and quads than that.

Hugh ass: It's funny you say, "when, not if". I was talking to my friend about getting a motorcycle and he said pretty much the same exact thing.

Comment

^It will happen, but its alot less likely if you don't act like an idiot and actually go and practice your emergency avoidance, counter-steering, threshold braking and basically ride like everyone is out to kill you.

Only street wreck I had was because we were bunched up nose to tail pretending were in the WSBK or something and when out buddy in front went down the rest of us did too.

Ducati looks nice, but I'd still go for the SV, cheaper and more reliable.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                  Ducati looks nice, but I'd still go for the SV, cheaper and more reliable.
                  I see that the Suzuki's are cheaper, but not all that much. Seems like I can find an '02-'04 Monster 620 or 695 for $5k tops. Are you saying that the Ducati will be unreliable, or just that the Japanese one will likely be extremely reliable?

Also, what is considered "high mileage" on a motorcycle? 5k per year?

Comment

The Ducati is going to be like a BMW or Porsche, not necessarily more unreliable, but much more maintenance intensive. The Jap sportbikes are basically bulletproof.

I put 25,000 miles on my R6 in about 24 months (which is WAY more high strung than the SV) changed the oil every 4k with syn, changed plugs every 8k, and I think had to adjust the throttle bodies and TPS a couple of times, that was it.

4-5k is considered avg by Blue Book I think. Sportbikes that are well taken care of can go 100k.

But remember your going to want to change the oil/rebuild the suspension every 10k or so, sooner if you ride harder, recommended would be at the beginning of the season every year. Tires will go anywhere from 3k to 8k depending on which ones you buy and how you ride them, motorcycle tires also much more sensitive to psi than car tires, ie you notice it in terms of handling and wear much more.

Buy Sportbike Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.
                    Also Proficient Motorcycing and More Proficient Motorcyling, fantastic reads that more than paid for themselves with the increase in proper technique and etc.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

you can buy a really nice bike in that price range, the only problem is you will always want something bigger, ive been there myself. as far as sport bikes go i would look something around 500cc. i would look at a honda myself. 500cc will still do 0-60 in about 3-4sec so be careful. I currently ride a 79 honda cb 750 cafe racer. it's heavy but quick as shit.

(Disclaimer: I am drinking so this does not reflect anything that should be comprehensible. MMMM Beer is good Beer is your Friend as is Samuel Adams with his delicious Summer Ale)

Comment

Buy my Honda Metro.
                        Attached Files
                        McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

Originally posted by Lair View Post
                          Buy my Honda Metro.
                          that gets around 70 mpg if i recall correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Sean5294 View Post
                            that gets around 70 mpg if i recall correctly

It would if it would run.

I bought it from a guy whose kid parked it for 4 years without draining the gas first. I bought it two months ago to use as a pit bike, but I haven't had time to work on it.

I already have 5 pit bikes, but I couldn't pass up a deal.
                            McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

i know exactly how you feel, old gas is hell on gaskets and seals

Comment

Working...
                              X