The Economy Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Economy Part II

So I started a thread a little while back that receive a lot of attention titeled " :angry: the Economy"

Since then is it wour view that things are better or worse?

And what is your outlook on our economic future and why?
    Is better
    12.99%
    Is worse
    20.78%
    Will get Better soon
    37.66%
    Prepare for Armageddon in the New 3rd World
    28.57%

Not safe...
    I repeat, not safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Not safe...
      I repeat, not safe.
      I was a little bored...

So I figuered I'd start a fight between the Democrats and Republicans...

Sit back and laugh my Super Imperialists Party ass off...

Comment

Daniel, You do know this could get messy.

Paging the Usual Suspects...

Comment

Economy has its ups and downs, we will have to learn to deal with it and prepare for the bad times...

I say its going to get worse before it gets better...
          Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Daniel, You do know this could get messy.

Paging the Usual Suspects...
            Messy is good (just no bloodshed).

I have always big a big fan of heated debates...

I can, in some cases, promote critical thinking... Among the spectators anyway.
            Last edited by DCColegrove; 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I can not play in this thread!
              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Ack! Some of those usual suspects...

Comment

According to asbradley - it's worse.
                  "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                    So I started a thread a little while back that receive a lot of attention titeled " :angry: the Economy"

Since then is it wour view that things are better or worse?
                    So how long ago was that post, and do you want a better/worse from that date or are you looking for a longer term comparison ( if so how far back ) It does make a big difference.

Comment

It's hard to say. Gas has been steadily going down, but it seems like things as far as the rest of the economy are still in a downturn. Since I don't know much about politics or this sort of thing, I can't really comment further, but it seems like things are at least looking up. I do know that it only cost my wife $60 to fill up her van last time, as opposed to $87 about 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinepig View Post
                        So how long ago was that post, and do you want a better/worse from that date or are you looking for a longer term comparison ( if so how far back ) It does make a big difference.
                        4 months... real long term...

but the people who did post usually knew what they were talking about and understood it was a cycle and emerging markets / energy costs:

Since then, USD/Euro & Pound hit record highs for 5, 17 months, gas went up then on the way down, and GDP is up.

Comment

Hell it still must be a good economy since I am throwing cash at both of my e30's like I have a fistfull of Benjamin's at a strip club with no end in sight...

:pimp:

Comment

better or worse than when? what are we comparing to?

better without a bubble market? yeah - good time for me and the new wife to buy a house on the cheap. 5 acres and 1400 square feet for $250k sounds good. Financing is harder though, but that will clear up eventually. We couldn't have bought a house like that around here 2 years ago, even with both of us having good jobs. the interest rates aren't too bad either, and I'm not going to get stuck with one of those retarded ARM's.

better with a lower stock market? yeah - my company's 401k matching just started, and I'm looking for a 25% pay raise this year. I get to start my retirement investments when the market is cheap (we all know SS isn't going to pay us back). I plan to max out my matching up to 10% - which is a pretty difficult return to beat. if I can scrounge up some cash after buying a new place, I'd like to start a brokerage account - maybe from the tax return I should get next year (the government *hates* it when you make a lot of money on overtime).

better with higher gas prices? sure - if you buy into the global warming scare. higher prices mean less demand for oil, meaning less carbon/pollution. pollution is bad, mkay? (too bad china and india don't feel the same way). and it's creating new markets for alternatives and forcing us to innovate. I carpool now, or telecommute - that's one less car on the road every day, less fuel used and it saves me money. plus my car can sit in the garage all week if I want to work on it or don't feel like driving it. it also means I can go on a sunday drive and enjoy myself without idiots in SUVs clogging the roads (well, not as many of them).

I think all of those things are solid improvements. I guess it's just your perspective that changes how you feel about it.

We had a really hot market for a good 5 year stretch in pretty much every industry that was relevant. I felt pretty much the same way I did during the dot-com boom/bust - it was a nice party but I knew it wasn't going to last forever. Kinda like now, everything is cheap on a relative scale - if you have the means, now's the time to start buying, because at these prices it's not going to last. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                              4 months... real long term...

but the people who did post usually knew what they were talking about and understood it was a cycle and emerging markets / energy costs:

Since then, USD/Euro & Pound hit record highs for 5, 17 months, gas went up then on the way down, and GDP is up.
                              the exchange rate is killing me, the wife is canadian and all of her money is in canadian currency - currently 93 cents on the dollar. fortunately I saw it coming and convinced her to move it to a US funds account before it's value deflated any further.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X