Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm officially DONE with modern BMWs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone contemplating an e28 or e34 m5 as a dd, think again. s38s are complex and expensive motors, and they get terrible gas mileage. i love my 88 m5 but there is no way i would dd it. if you go e28, go with a 535 unless its a weekend car.

Comment

A friend of mine who worked at various BMW dealerships for 20+ years in California says the same thing as mentioned above - that BMW build quality reached its pinnacle in the mid-late 1980's.

BMW wasn't making enough money on parts, service, labor so they started making cars that weren't as well-built.

Same with MBZ - the old W123's were well-built, but right around the same time as BMW build quality started to drop, so did the MBZ

MBZ started using cheaper components in the late 80's/early 90's which adversely affected their reputation for quality.

Wiring harnesses, fuel distributors, etc...were of substandard quality and when they failed it was a very costly fix.

MBZ parts are far more expensive and thus far more expensive to keep running.

My brother is a MBZ guy and says pretty much the same thing.

He prefers the 500 series cars built in the mid-80's due to their roomy interior and overall build quality.

He has a few different models, including one with power rear seats. (560 SEL?)
      sigpic
      1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
      Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
      Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

gotta love old Mercedes interior build quality
        Not that I care, of course.

Comment

I have a laundry list of items that have been done and will be done on my e39 touring. Needless to say she'll be up for sale in the summer.

EDIT: This being only after one year of ownership.
          Last edited by e30frosh; 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM.

Every day I wake up we drink a lot of coffee and watch the CNN
          Every day I wake up to a bowl of clover honey and let the locusts fly in.
          Lobsterbacks attack the town again
          Wrap all my things in aluminum
          Beams of darkness streak across the sky
          Pink rays from the ancient satellite
          Every time I look out my window same three dogs looking back at me.
          Every time I open my windows cranes fly in to terrorize me.

Comment

Let's all import grey market E28 tourings!

funky fresh!

Last edited by eric (^__^); 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eric (^__^) View Post
              Let's all import grey market E28 tourings!

funky fresh!

^ hot
              1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
                anyone contemplating an e28 or e34 m5 as a dd, think again. s38s are complex and expensive motors, and they get terrible gas mileage. i love my 88 m5 but there is no way i would dd it. if you go e28, go with a 535 unless its a weekend car.
                No one here has suggested an M5 as a DD. But you are correct. Which is why a 535is is exactly what I'm looking for. :up:

Love that Touring, BTW. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Old'n'Slow View Post
                  No one here has suggested an M5 as a DD. But you are correct. Which is why a 535is is exactly what I'm looking for. :up:

Love that Touring, BTW. :D
                  i know, i was just throwing it out there as a warning. people get all misty eyed over e28 m5s and i just wanted to post a little warning.

Comment

i love my 528e E28 as a DD , great on gas!!! and so much fun to drive!
                    Originally posted by e30e
                    lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by Old'n'Slow View Post
                      The noob speaks!
                      I'll admit I rarely post, but I assure you I'm not a noob. Charlie can vouch for that.

There may have been a little alcohol fueling my previous post. I just like to stir shit up once in a while ; )

Okay being serious:

I'll agree with you on the newer cars, with the plastic cooling bits and the 99-00 E46 subframes (some of the E36s too) ripping out of the body.

BUT

A nicely maintained E46 or E39 is a hell of a machine. Yeah stuff breaks on them. Still awesome cars, and I'm still willing to put up with the nickel and dime laundry list of failing components at the end of the day.

Comment

I will definitely agree that the older cars are awsome...here's my experience within the family:

E30- Awsome car, always ran great, interior has held up well for a 20 year old car. Just has a drive shaft issue now, shouldn't be a big deal to fix. I love the M20 and miss driving it, but once I get it fixed I will be out there again for sure! Was somewhat neglected when I got it. Radiator was half blocked, the distributor had nothing to it, belts needed changing, etc and it still ran great.

E24- Sick car, the interior is immaculate, M30 engine runs wonderfully. The only aftermarket stuff on this car is the stereo my brothers and I put in a few years back for my dad, and the Bilstein/BavAuto suspension we did earlier this year.

E34- Can't believe this shit still runs. ~198,000 miles, automatic GM tranny that slips, paint that looks like shit, bushings are shot, rear shocks done, fronts are new though, interior headliner sucks and the seats would be great if they weren't electric. Used as a beater, and the thing won't die. M50NV that has never had any probems other than the typical M5x waterpump junk. Overall, I love this car too and want to work on it, because it is so simple.

E36- I love this car. The M42 is such a great motor and is severely frowned upon by most E36 people. Seems to hold up alot better than most of the M5x engines thus far. Only real trouble this car gave me was the factory LSD which was on the verge of death do to heavy snow driving use. Got a new MM VLSD and she lives on! I DD this car and track it. Yep, the interior quality isn't as good as E30's taht is for sure. The headliner is out now because it was saggy and I want to recover it.

2 E46's- 2 cars. 8 window regulators. Yes both my brother's and sister's E46s have had all window regulators replaced (never touched them on any other car). Other than that, these cars are too new to really know much anything else. my brother's E46 has had the A and C pillar panels replaced already due to shitty quality in fabric and glue.

2 E39's- Have been great cars thus far, for my other brother and mom. My mom's had to have the PCV shit replaced and since all taht garbage is plastic, it was not only costly, but will just fail again in a few years. My brother has had some issues with his E39 as well, but nothing very major. His hydrolic motor mounts (oh boy) failed and threw his A/C compressor into one of the coolant return lines causing a leak, but that was an easy fix as well.

YAY!
                        E30- 1989 325is

Comment

Originally posted by CBi View Post
                          I'll admit I rarely post, but I assure you I'm not a noob. Charlie can vouch for that.
                          Just givin' ya some shit!

There may have been a little alcohol fueling my previous post. I just like to stir shit up once in a while ; )
                          Me too.....:drink:

Okay being serious:

I'll agree with you on the newer cars, with the plastic cooling bits and the 99-00 E46 subframes (some of the E36s too) ripping out of the body.

BUT

A nicely maintained E46 or E39 is a hell of a machine. Yeah stuff breaks on them. Still awesome cars, and I'm still willing to put up with the nickel and dime laundry list of failing components at the end of the day.
                          Yeah, but I still don't have to pay the dealer to change my "entry lighting settings" or any number of BS-should be a way to do it myself-options on the E28. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge View Post
                            bomb.txt
                            So basically what you're saying is that my E30 M42 is awesome?

Comment

Working...
                            X