No announcement yet.

some of the best looking cars out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that's the most plywood splitters and plywood/posterboard wheel flares I've ever seen in one place. I'm not even sure how that could be construed to look good.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
      Wow, that's the most plywood splitters and plywood/posterboard wheel flares I've ever seen in one place. I'm not even sure how that could be construed to look good.
      The point isn't too look "good". So many of you are totally missing the point of these cars. It's too be as outlandish as possible. It's all in fun.

Do you really think these guys are building these cars to look "good" in the traditional modifying sense?

Comment

this one isnt too bad
        Originally posted by Ferdinand
        I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
          The point isn't too look "good". So many of you are totally missing the point of these cars. It's too be as outlandish as possible. It's all in fun.

Do you really think these guys are building these cars to look "good" in the traditional modifying sense?
          i understand that, but i cant justify spending money on that.
          Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by tg318is View Post
            i understand that, but i cant justify spending money on that.
            +1 or Time.
            Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
            http://raceskids.com/

Comment

That's because western culture emphasizes value and efficiency over satisfaction and enjoyment.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                That's because western culture emphasizes value and efficiency over poor taste and lunacy.
                fixed

Comment

were talking SERIOUS downforce with those cars
                  AW 89' 325i Vert - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Raxe View Post
                    That's because western culture emphasizes value and efficiency over satisfaction and enjoyment.
                    I would say if you are comparing North American culture to Japanese culture you have that totally twisted. Not that I have ever been to Japan but it would seem to me they emphasize value and efficiency more than we do, and we value satisfaction and enjoyment more than they do. Just look at all the North American soccer moms cruising around in H3's and Suburbans. I don't think we really place a huge emphasis on value and efficiency at all. Just my opinion though, and in my opinion those cars are just a case of different strokes for different folks. I love rat rods and that styling, others hate it. Same thing here.

Comment

Second Last car looks good ... without the splitters.

Comment

I was talking more in terms of cultural values rather than individual lifestyles and attitudes between the two. One very clear example of this is architecture. In North America (you're in Edmonton too so you know what I'm talking about here) the big buildings are quite dull with slab sides and box shapes. Traditional Japanese architecture is very elaborate, colorful and detailed. There's a great deal of work and emphasis put into the "art" aspect of the building, especially compared to the traditional buildings on this side of the world which were clearly built with cost, time and maximum usability in mind. Then there's the incredible floral work that is present throughout Japanese design, the bright colors and the traditional heritage in everything which is just not a big deal in North America. Our way of thinking tends to be "how much could I get for how little money, and how quickly can I get it?". Generally our car culture is the same way. How much performance can I add for how little money, and what's the easiest way of getting it? Or how much horsepower does it have, how much can it tow/haul and how much does it cost?

Bringing up the H3 and Suburban, look at how it was designed and built. Two of the biggest things on the design board for that truck was "How cheap can we sell it for?" and "How quickly/easily/inexpensively can we manufacture it?". Lower down the list would be aesthetics, material quality and craftsmanship. Then again Japanese cars are not exactly known for their superb materials either, but they're targeting the same demographic and market as the domestics so there's only so much they can do while remaining competitive here. I'm quite positive in Japan a small, weak but very well built and crafted car would sell much better than it would here.

Not saying there's anything wrong with this of course, or that it's the same for everyone throughout the respective countries. Just pointing out that their car culture does not revolve around the same principle ours does.
                        Last edited by Raxe; 12-09-2008, 11:58 PM.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                        X