X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    anyone know of a decent knife with a profile similar to the James Brand Hell Gap? I just can't bring myself to buy a $400 knife but want a decent backpacking knife, this profile looks great for cooking in the field
    have you looked in to Bark River? Still not a cheap blade, but very well made, very highly prized by those that have them and have a pretty decent following in the bush craft / primitive survival communities, but about 1/2 the cost of the James Brand.....

here is good option in the profile your looking at.

Buy Bark River knives online when you shop DLT Trading! The Bark River Bravo 1 3V LT knife is just one of many options we are sure to have in stock.

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    That makes sense then. I have a handful of Esee knives and am a fan. While they aren't super steel, they have their 1095 heat treat down and they perform as advertised. The PR4 looks like it would fit the bill well as do the 4 and 5HM. I just wish the latter were uncoated for food prep. If Chris Reeve had a Nyala that was 5" long I think that would be just about the perfect do-all knife.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    What is your budget and what tasks do you expect the knife to perform? James Brand makes cool looking knives with good steel, but in my opinion the price tag is comprised of about 30% marketing hype. For $150 less than the James you can get a similarly sized Chris Reeve Nyala which would be my personal choice. Their folders are the benchmark for premium production knives, and their fixed blades receive the same attention to detail. Benchmade has a bushcraft knife that is half the price of the James. Boker makes a few bushcraft style knives that would fit that bill and are still "nicer" knives. A cheapo Mora would work and they're easy to sharpen in the field. It all comes down to budget and what you expect the knife to be able to do.
    I need a knife for basic field craft, cooking, cleaning fish, whittling kindling, cutting rope. I have some bench made folders I have been issued, but I am going to Canada (so automatic knives are a no go) for a couple weeks of hiking and honestly, there have been enough grizzly deaths in the area that I think i would rather a fixed blade on my belt if spray fails. I have a Mora, but the profiles sucks for cooking, which is silly but i do enough camping, sometimes canoe camping where I have things to cut and not just dehydrated backpacking meals.
    I was looking at the ESEE PR4 and Boker, had not looked at Chris Reeve, will definitely check them out.

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    anyone know of a decent knife with a profile similar to the James Brand Hell Gap? I just can't bring myself to buy a $400 knife but want a decent backpacking knife, this profile looks great for cooking in the field
    What is your budget and what tasks do you expect the knife to perform? James Brand makes cool looking knives with good steel, but in my opinion the price tag is comprised of about 30% marketing hype. For $150 less than the James you can get a similarly sized Chris Reeve Nyala which would be my personal choice. Their folders are the benchmark for premium production knives, and their fixed blades receive the same attention to detail. Benchmade has a bushcraft knife that is half the price of the James. Boker makes a few bushcraft style knives that would fit that bill and are still "nicer" knives. A cheapo Mora would work and they're easy to sharpen in the field. It all comes down to budget and what you expect the knife to be able to do.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Looks like a fish scaler to me

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

For that, and other fancy food prep stuff. And probably works well for poking people.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    btw what the heck is this for you think?
    found it.

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Solid purchase for a "first knife"

I have been eyeing up the Para3 for a really long time, and it's been in my cart several times. The Paramilitary 2 is just a hair too big for my liking. The Para3 is exactly what I was looking for, just haven't bit the bullet yet.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    is that your first pocket knife?
    the appreciation comes from now knowing how fucking sharp a good knife is supposed to be. :)
    First one of decent quality.

I have had tons of throw away pocket knives. In my previous job as a golf course superintendent I would get free cheap pocket knives almost monthly. We would use them daily to cut wedges out of the greens to diagnose any issues and to monitor root/plant health. As such, I would dull a knife typically within days, if not hours. So there was no point in buying a quality pocket knife. Now I am in sales and my needs/use a have changed. I now need sharp, and resistant to corrosion, as I deal with liquid fertilizers and acids.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    is that your first pocket knife?
    the appreciation comes from now knowing how fucking sharp a good knife is supposed to be. :)

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Picked up a para 3 today. Not thrilled about the grip pattern, but I love the business end and ergos. Will replace the clip to a deep pocket clip.

Never understood the appeal of knife world until now. Then again, I never had any knifes of any quality, except our Heinkel kitchen knifes which have been dull for so long I don't remember what they were like when sharp. Gonna break out a sharpie and the stones this weekend and try to learn me some sharpening skills.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Cool knife!

Also, check out https://www.armatuscarry.com/ if you want a new sheath. I'm sure there are others by I've used and like this guy

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Esse makes a great blade. I have an Izula, RC3-Mil (from the pre-esee days) and Esee 7. I beat the shit out of the 7 several times and it's one that always comes with when camping.

As for sharpening, I love my Spyderco Sharpmaker. There is a really forgiving learning curve and you can get blades scalpel sharp with about 5 minutes of work.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Bought my first decent blade. Will be a truck knife, and used in day to day job cutting hoses etc. Now I just need to learn how to sharpen the damn thing. I have some Arkansas stones, but need to learn how to use them. I have a buck 110 that desperately needs a good sharpening

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X