Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Blackbird- That is some really cool shit you have rounded up. I love stuff that was made hundreds of years ago with such craftsmanship and attention detail it could be mistaken for something made much more recently. Things that have survived the centuries and were used in a manner that would destroy most things made today in a week of average use when the original was made.
    The Knights Templar sword isn't that old, likely made in the 1920s or so, but it could be older. I honestly don't know. As you can see, its got my name on the blade. The old family sword as you can see still has most of its scabbard, and is still sharp. It will draw blood. The handle is a little iffy however. I wouldn't want to have to attack or defend with it.

I do have an unknown age or origin battle axe that is very old as well. I don't have any pics of it. It might be from Africa as there is a Rhino hide shield that is rumored to be a Zulu tribe shield. (My dad shot it with a Colt .45 and the bullet failed to penetrate.)

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

What exactly do you guys do with these things? I have 2 Gerber knives, a machete and a multi tool for hiking - but I can't think of anything else I'd use them for. I've actually never used any of them - I just have them for emergencies.
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

really??? I use my pocket knife at least 10 times a day, especially at work. I dont even walk to the mail box with out a knife in my pocket. When out dealing with the equines (other than day to day chores) or in the back country I have a solid fixed blade on my belt as well. Growing up on farm a GOOD pocket knife is something you lean to never go with out.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          really??? I use my pocket knife at least 10 times a day, especially at work. I dont even walk to the mail box with out a knife in my pocket. When out dealing with the equines (other than day to day chores) or in the back country I have a solid fixed blade on my belt as well. Growing up on farm a GOOD pocket knife is something you lean to never go with out.
          Must be because I'm a powder puff city boy. I do see the importance when out in the wilderness, though.

That - and I'm from Texas. We just carry guns everywhere. Checking the mail? Shoot that shit open.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

lol

I use mine for opening mail, cutting my lunch, stripping wires, cutting almost anything that needs it, fingernail maintenance the back side for scraping stuff, the daily uses for a good pocket knife are as varied as the things you do in a day. My muliti tool comes out nearly as often as my knife does for other chores.....

Especially when I am home I have been known to carry a gun to the mail box too, I have a long drive way an we have a mt Lion issues especially at my old house up here.....
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

I have 3 knives on me at all times. A Leatherman Skeletool, a Kershaw Leek and a credit card multi-tool in my wallet. I don't use the credit card tool really, but the others I use several times a day.

Comment

I picked up a Morakiv recently. I really like it. For $10 its surprising high quality. I use and abuse it. It's steel so I have to make sure to keep it clean or it will rust.

Comment

I've got a Kershaw 1550 Blackout which a friend gave to me, but the edge is horrible and I can't seem to put a decent edge on it myself. Anyone know about the Spyderco Shapmaker? I get 40% off their products so thinking it may be a good option. Not looking for a razor so going with wet stones isn't my thing.

Comment

^

Your sharpening issue is more than likely technique coupled with the steel used for the blade. I dont follow kershaw much anymore but I am going to go out on a limb and say your blade is more than likely 440 stainless. you can get it sharp, but as soon as you look at it, it will dull seems like. You really want a knife with a blade material made of a good tool grade steel. like D2, AUS 8 or 10, 154CM, S30-V, S35-V, S90-v. There are many others and they all have their strengths and tradeoffs. I am big fan of S30V and its cousins takes an edge well but though it takes a bit of effort and time to repair an edge but it holds a razors edge for a long time between honings. I really would not want a knife that I was going to carry everyday that was not a throw away knife unless it was at least D2, I had a 154CM benchmade for years and its held up great until I lost it somewhere.

The sharpmaker is a decent sharpening system, and will get you closer to what you want. Though learning to hand sharpen on whet stones is valuable and useful skill to have, you can even use the edge of your window on your car to polish up and touch up a edge that is not badly damaged.
                    Last edited by mrsleeve; 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Sandvik 14c28n. Reviewers online say it should hold a pretty decent edge.

Absolutely is a lack of skill sharpening it, so I want something simple and idiot proof.

Comment

Oh wow it has a good steel then. I dont know much about 14c but I do think it was originally developed for razor blades, so it should take a supper fine edge and hold it decently if looked after.

Lots of good videos and tutorials on youtube for all the various sharpening systems and how to do it free hand

William Pitt-

Comment

My EDC's are a CRKT Van Hoy Snap Lock II, and a Benchmade 950 Rift SBK. The CRKT is nice and small for use in public when in the presence of people who may be unnerved by a larger knife, and the Benchmade handles everything else.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                            I've got a Kershaw 1550 Blackout which a friend gave to me, but the edge is horrible and I can't seem to put a decent edge on it myself. Anyone know about the Spyderco Shapmaker? I get 40% off their products so thinking it may be a good option. Not looking for a razor so going with wet stones isn't my thing.

i have a sharp maker its pretty good
                            88 325is Five Speed
                            Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              The Knights Templar sword isn't that old, likely made in the 1920s or so, but it could be older. I honestly don't know. As you can see, its got my name on the blade. The old family sword as you can see still has most of its scabbard, and is still sharp. It will draw blood. The handle is a little iffy however. I wouldn't want to have to attack or defend with it.

I do have an unknown age or origin battle axe that is very old as well. I don't have any pics of it. It might be from Africa as there is a Rhino hide shield that is rumored to be a Zulu tribe shield. (My dad shot it with a Colt .45 and the bullet failed to penetrate.)

Will
                              Do you by chance know if you trace any family lineage to Robert Campbell of Glenlyon?

Comment

Here's my woods/desert carry knife. Ontario Rat 1

This is my EDC little utility knife, I love how it's a one handed open but it's not assisted so it won't flip out in your pocket. Tiny little blade, not scary to non-knife people. Kershaw OD-2

Lastly my EDC multi tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X