Since we're here...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mar1t1me
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    What about us socially liberal, financially conservative folks?
    I'm with you. I don't want laws for victimless crimes, either. Especially bedroom laws.

    Bad laws erode respect for good ones.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    ^ So, they are all about reform, but the methods that they will use is big government, social programs, and handouts.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by 87e30
    See below. Please explain your side instead of being so useless. At the core, it is taught that liberals want social programs while conservatives want tax breaks. While this is grossly over simplified it's just kinda where I'm coming from.
    This is not over-simplified, it is just plain wrong. Liberals want reform that is all. Liberalism isn't about big government, social programs and handouts. In fact, true liberalism would abolish any forms of authority most especially government.



    Of all those definitions it does not once say that a liberal is one who want's big government and handouts. You have been misinformed.

    Leave a comment:


  • 87e30
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    That is not the liberal ideology!!!
    See below. Please explain your side instead of being so useless. At the core, it is taught that liberals want social programs while conservatives want tax breaks. While this is grossly over simplified it's just kinda where I'm coming from.

    Originally posted by Wiglaf
    That what you think a liberal is? someone who just wants a handout? no wonder you guys are always about to 'splode. You've been mis-informed.

    e:f;b

    I'm all for a smaller minimalist government, but neither party has made what could be construed as an effort in that direction.
    This is true, but I think that the republican party has made more of an effort to make government smaller, well perhaps the democratic party is just making it larger more quickly. (the way I see it... my opinion) My father says this too, that he wants a smaller government but is for a universal health care system. I don't understand how the liberal ideology isn't asking for "handouts." Now I understand you're not saying you want to sit on your ass and get free stuff, but you are saying, through social programs of all kinds, that you want SOMEONE out there to get something because they don't have it already. Otherwise, these social programs wouldn't be needed. I'm curious, how democrats think that A) this isn't relying on the gov't and B) this will make the gov't smaller? (serious questions, please take them as such)

    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    What about us socially liberal, financially conservative folks? I guess you said it was a stereotype. I'm all for killing babies and doing drugs, and anynomous gay sex if that's your thing, reason being, we as a society should not be holding a moral code over people. Make roads, don't tell me I can't have cheetos and a bongload. Protect the damn borders, don't tell me I have to wear a seatbelt when I drive, Stop murderers and rapists, not inform the banking industry how to pay their top employees. Come on.
    Yeah, I completely agree. That's why I said stereotype, because it addressed the kind of people he was talking about. I'm completely with you.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by 87e30
    I agree, I do think their is an irony in the fact conservatives, as a stereotype, are all for freedoms and a smaller government, yet quickly try to mandate things such as drug use, abortion, and other moral issues.


    I think the liberal ideology is stupid because A) it implies that you should rely on someone else to provide something for you and B) the government is going to be successful at creating a system where people can indeed provide for each other.

    Personally, I believe the federal government is ONLY here to provide for individuals what they can not realistically provide for themselves. (Interstate regulation, national military, infrastructure, etc)

    What about us socially liberal, financially conservative folks? I guess you said it was a stereotype. I'm all for killing babies and doing drugs, and anynomous gay sex if that's your thing, reason being, we as a society should not be holding a moral code over people. Make roads, don't tell me I can't have cheetos and a bongload. Protect the damn borders, don't tell me I have to wear a seatbelt when I drive, Stop murderers and rapists, not inform the banking industry how to pay their top employees. Come on.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiglaf
    replied
    Originally posted by 87e30
    I think the liberal ideology is stupid because A) it implies that you should rely on someone else to provide something for you
    That what you think a liberal is? someone who just wants a handout? no wonder you guys are always about to 'splode. You've been mis-informed.

    e:f;b

    I'm all for a smaller minimalist government, but neither party has made what could be construed as an effort in that direction.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by 87e30
    I think the liberal ideology is stupid because A) it implies that you should rely on someone else to provide something for you and B) the government is going to be successful at creating a system where people can indeed provide for each other.
    That is not the liberal ideology!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • 87e30
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiglaf
    you started it? Your statement was equally as ridiculous as mine, and also had nothing behind it.

    Here's what I don't get about religious conservatives:
    They enjoy the freedom to beleive what they want, but then anything thier pastor doesn't like puts them all in a tizzy to try and legislate morality, effectively destroying the freedoms that they enjoy.
    Much like the people who raised hell because they don't want government in health care, but are equally afraid of medicare cuts.
    These are often the same people. When I look at the midwest all I see is a massive population of people failing to put 2 + 2 together.

    Now explain to me why you think democrats are dumber than this. Have reasons.
    I agree, I do think their is an irony in the fact conservatives, as a stereotype, are all for freedoms and a smaller government, yet quickly try to mandate things such as drug use, abortion, and other moral issues.


    I think the liberal ideology is stupid because A) it implies that you should rely on someone else to provide something for you and B) the government is going to be successful at creating a system where people can indeed provide for each other.

    Personally, I believe the federal government is ONLY here to provide for individuals what they can not realistically provide for themselves. (Interstate regulation, national military, infrastructure, etc)

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiglaf
    Much like the people who raised hell because they don't want government in health care, but are equally afraid of medicare cuts.
    These are often the same people. When I look at the midwest all I see is a massive population of people failing to put 2 + 2 together.

    Now explain to me why you think democrats are dumber than this. Have reasons.
    Word...

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiglaf
    replied
    Originally posted by ck_taft325is
    And let me just point out that's a pretty big statement without any backing thus far. If you've got some questions, by all means. If you want to throw insults around, that's fine to but it just makes you look as bad as those idiots holding "God Hates Fags" signs.
    you started it? Your statement was equally as ridiculous as mine, and also had nothing behind it.

    Here's what I don't get about religious conservatives:
    They enjoy the freedom to beleive what they want, but then anything thier pastor doesn't like puts them all in a tizzy to try and legislate morality, effectively destroying the freedoms that they enjoy.
    Much like the people who raised hell because they don't want government in health care, but are equally afraid of medicare cuts.
    These are often the same people. When I look at the midwest all I see is a massive population of people failing to put 2 + 2 together.

    Now explain to me why you think democrats are dumber than this. Have reasons.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is
    ^History is written by the victor... as the saying goes.
    one of the spoils of war, prolly the most valuable by far too boot

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    I love COD!

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by ck_taft325is
    ... I think a Democrat (on the Liberal/Progressive side) is literally, of lesser intelligence.
    That is all.
    As a flip side many people would say that about conservatives as well...

    EDIT: Sorry for the double post, thought I was in another thread... lol with the new political subforum I have too many tabs open. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    That's what they were told anyway.
    ^History is written by the victor... as the saying goes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bill 84 318i
    replied
    Originally posted by ck_taft325is
    In actuality, I'd love to hear why and what shapes the thoughts and powers the religious tendancy most liberals seem to have. Discuss.
    Though this conversation usually goes the same direction every time (on both sides), it can be interesting before it gets there. Is it safe to assume that your interpretation of the "religious tendency of most liberals" ranges from anti-religion to atheism?

    Leave a comment:

Working...