Chevy Volt just a regular hybrid after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
    I agree. I'm a big fan of honda's lean burn IMA setups. Really cool stuff, using the electric motor to smooth out a 3 cyl engine.
    http://www.greencar.com/articles/ins...rid-system.php
    interesting tech.

But we had carbed 4 bangers getting into the 40's on gas in the 80's. Till the EPA started wanting its cake and eating it too. Thats why those went away when the NOx regs hit.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

And the funny thing is, NOx PPM is lower, but there's still more exhaust.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

you run lean you make lots of NOx just the way it is. You have to run lean to get lots of distance outta your fuel.
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by 10-66kruk View Post
          Personally I had to do a research paper about this my senior year of high school.
          The two things that I found, were that the oil supplies that we use and have been using are a renewable source. There is no evidence that says these fossil fuels will run out. They are produced by our earths core and it is a natural process. Most of this hype is gov. based to believe we are on the brink of running out. I also had found that the Gov. regulates so much of the oil costs and future vehicle efficiency so that they can control the prices and control the supply.
          I personally feel there are to many slime bags in our government controlling things like alternative fuel research, and alternative sources of energy because they fear loosing their extensive salaries.
          Granted I do not have any of my proof on the two points I stated but sadly the U.S. government in my eyes has reached George Orwell's vision of "1984" and has to much control over future break trough's in alternate energy.

Yep, been reading about that myself. It's a way to artificially increase Crude prices and control the product. But the Tree Huggers are trying to put an early end to crude before it's time.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

I am all for more efficient vehicles, but this is just a retarded quick fix.
            Hybrid card, solar, wind. It's all shitty technology. Should have pulled the plug on GM and invested that cash in R&D actual breakthroughs in solar and hydrogen production and storage would have a profound effect. Don’t build the car before the right engine exists.
            China is run by engineers not lawyers and its starting to show.
            BTW: China has just cut off supply of rare earth elements vital for batteries, and electric motors. Your new hybrid car will be made in china in 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ortholithiation View Post
              I am all for more efficient vehicles, but this is just a retarded quick fix.
              Hybrid card, solar, wind. It's all shitty technology. Should have pulled the plug on GM and invested that cash in R&D actual breakthroughs in solar and hydrogen production and storage would have a profound effect. Don’t build the car before the right engine exists.
              China is run by engineers not lawyers and its starting to show.
              BTW: China has just cut off supply of rare earth elements vital for batteries, and electric motors. Your new hybrid car will be made in china in 10 years.
              You're an idiot. Please go away now.

Comment

You're an idiot. Please go away now.
                well much of what you bolded hes right, the only reason its in production like it its and that it can even be viable with conventional production sources is the massive amounts of tax payer monies being dumped into them.

William Pitt-

Comment

How is solar power shitty tech? How is hybrid tech shitty? Defend your argument, and try using articles that are quantifiable.

Would GE really build a hybrid train if the tech was "Shitty"?
                  Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

not again. Very expensive, huge amount of land use per KW generated, very little power generated for the resources involved with its use .

Oh and the Biggest thing THE SUN DONT SHINE AT NIGHT, and take huge amounts of Batts (that are bad for the environment) to store unused power for night time use.

William Pitt-

Comment

Actually, yes, it does.

Who ever suggested running america off batteries at night?

A new technology does not have to completely replace an older technology to be useful.

There's room on our barn roof for a 12kW solar array. I don't call that a waste of space.
                      Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

and how much is that gonna cost, and how long will it take to pay for it self

William Pitt-

Comment

The fact that it will pay for itself is enough, but around 20 years at current electrical rates. We use $400-$900 a month in electricity here.

A better question to ask is does a power plant pay for itself? I don't really think it does. It doesn't just sit there and spit out power. You have to build it, put fuel in it, pay people to run it, maintain it, etc, etc. Solar is basically pay and ignore. Kinda like a 5 gallon gas can that magically refills itself once a week. If it cost $2000, would it be worth it? Yes. Would it be worth having 20 years from now? Hell yes.
                          Power costs money. My e30 certainly won't ever "pay for itself," but I think the ROI is fantastic.

I don't think out backup generator will ever "pay for itself," but it sure is worth having.
                          Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Solar is basically pay and ignore.
                            exactly. Meanwhile, there are really smart people improving the technology to reduce costs and increase output. We would be complete retards to ditch solar power. I know Germany is leading the way in solar.

And turning energy from the sun into electricity is just cool. It's like wind, you can't actually see wind, only the effects of it.
                            My Feedback

Comment

keep telling your self that

I will deal with tomarrow night I need to get some sleep

William Pitt-

Comment

When I set up solar powered remote backhaul repeaters, I never have to replace the panels. I do have to rebuild generators, replace batteries, and so on. Solar stuff seems damn reliable to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X