An argument against charity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An argument against charity?

I had this exact thought when Gates/Buffet announced their project to give away huge portions of their wealth.

Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

I would have to agree with that actually but my first thought is, does it actually work out better for them tax wise to give it away rather than sink it back into business?
    sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with Carlos Sims. Also, there's a Chinese saying that goes as follows: give a fish to a starving poor, he will still be starving tomorrow. Teach him how to fish, and he will never be starved anymore. ;-)
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

No, first of all the point of charity is not to fix an economy. The point is to give it to people you believe will do something good with it. Like Aids prevention, Cancer research, Children's hospitals for surgeries etc. It's their money they can spend or give it to however they want.

So much for the richest man in the world fixing Mexico. His home country.
        Last edited by joshh; 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
          No, first of all the point of charity is not to fix an economy. The point is to give it to people you believe will do something good with it. Like Aids prevention, Cancer research, Children's hospitals for surgeries etc. It's their money they can spend or give it to however they want.
          Exactly
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Interesting article, I agree to an extent. Charity is certainly not worthless but it also isn't a problem-solver in most cases. Sometimes it does great things, like mosquito bed nets to prevent malaria. Quick, easy, simple and saved millions of lives. But it will not end poverty or make any kind of real social change.

Comment

Posts #4 & #5, please refer to post #6.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Since when is charity intended to make social change? It's not...
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Exactly it's a personal statement (for most people) and attention whoring (for the rest)
                  1985 BMW 325e
                  1997 BMW M3/4/5
                  2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

It most certainly is. Look at all the various organizations out there that promote different causes. That isn't social change? Even charity for the sake of alleviating poverty is making a social change in a way.

Comment

I agree with the following:

“There is a saying that we should leave a better country to our children. But it’s more important to leave better children to our country.”
                      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        It most certainly is. Look at all the various organizations out there that promote different causes. That isn't social change? Even charity for the sake of alleviating poverty is making a social change in a way.
                        EX-FUCKING-ACTLY!

Curing cancer, poverty, the spread of AIDS, feeding the homeless...........how is that NOT social change?

KenC, joshh - reread the article, he isn't saying charity is bad (I should have chosen a different title for this thread)(and he's given away hundreds of millions to charity as well as working the Gates Foundation etc.) he is specifically arguing against the Gates/Buffet initiative to GIVE AWAY half their wealth.

If Buffet and Gates took the resources they are talking about, which is on order of something like $60 BILLION fucking dollars, imagine what they could do if they used it creatively to employ people vs giving it the United Way or something.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Though in their defense, many of the charities they give to (such as united way) do help to get people on their feet and working.

Comment

Agreed, no doubt.

I just think those two guys in particular could the put the money to better use creating jobs, than increasing educational opportunities and increasing access to IT-things, like the Gates Foundation does in America.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                            X