ballot vote vs. congress/senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ballot vote vs. congress/senate

On my local ballot there were some items we could choose to vote on, such as school levies, tax issues, etc. I believe it was all local stuff, nothing higher than state.

Wouldn't it solve a lot of issues if we could vote more widely on other things? There are so many pieces of legislation that come to pass which we have no say on, other than to vote on the people who sign them. You get a package deal.
    I don't really understand what dictates the decision, things that make it to ballot vs things that just a few senators can sign.
    Even if the final signing was sill up to the senators I still think an official reading from the populous should be required for pretty much everything. Maybe for these we could use something more streamlined like online voting? Put them up twice a month if you have to.

The only 2 reasons I can think of:
    -elections are an expensive thing to do for the county.
    -Most people can't wrap their heads around anything more complicated than a light bulb, let alone the long term consequences of a new law. One high-roller ad campaign could get pretty much anything passed.

I did have higher faith about people, that maybe we could get rid of the electoral vote.. it would be the only way to shake up this 2-party setup. People are scaring me lately though, a lot of single-issue hotheads with blinders on out there. Perhaps it still might be for the best.
    Overall what I'm getting at is that the elected person will matter quite a bit less, putting more power in our hands. Hell even the illusion of it would make me feel better.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
    If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Missed the point of the Republic and the republican style government and why its set up like it is. This is basic 6th grade Social Studies here man. I suggest you back and retake your Civics class again and pay attention, although this kinda thing is prolly not taught anymore

People over all are too stupid or too busy to educate them selves on those local issues or even their those the elect to represent them, How do you expect them to to with Cap and trade, or HC bill, or NAFTA or any other large all encompassing complicated legislation.

This is why we elect people to read and understand and do this job for us. Too bad none of the take JOB the one they WERE HIRED TO DO, take is seriously, and actually do it. This is one of the real issues with why we are on the road we are on.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
    X