American flag-flying rights not always protected by Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American flag-flying rights not always protected by Constitution

DENAIR, CA - A local middle school student that had been banned from flying the U.S. had nationwide support as he rode his bike to school Monday morning.
    Cody Alicea, 13, was accompanied to Denair Middle School by a large group of motorcycle riders and several hundred others, all flying the American flag.
    "People are very emotional when it comes to the flag," said Professor Brian Landsberg, who teaches constitutional law at McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento.
    Landsberg explained flag-flying is protected by the right to free speech.
    "The constitution doesn't have any rule about flying the flag. What it does say is that the government basically has to treat all flags the same," Landsberg said.
    Even youngsters have constitutional rights according to Landsberg.
    "The students come to school with the freedom of speech," he said. "On the other hand, the school system can [make] reasonable rules that are related to the education purposes of the school or security in the schools."
    In May of last year, tensions grew in Gilroy and Denair when different groups of students sported Mexican and American flags on Cinco de Mayo.
    Gilroy officials sent home students wearing U.S. flags claiming they were defusing racial tensions.
    In Denair, school officials decided to stop students from bringing any flags to school. They explained that's what prompted a campus supervisor to tell Alicea to stow his flag last week.
    Following the nationwide outcry, Denair officials decided to reverse their decision and allow Alicea to bring his flag to school Monday.
    Landsberg said, "I would think they're going to have to allow the carrying of Mexican flags on Cinco de Mayo."
    He added, school officials and parents should use the flag flap as a teachable moment.
    "I would hope they would tell their kids to kind of cool it," Lansberg mused. "The flag is not a threat. They should be respectful of other people's flags as well."
    One thing is for sure: when Cinco de Mayo rolls around next May, the nation will be watching what happens in Denair.
    By Karen Massie, kmassie@news10.net

Well here is one for you, The communist town of Amherst Mass does not fly the flag except three times a year. Look at the flag they were flying the week before Veterans day.

I saw this last week before Veteran's Day. United Nations flag on top, Puerto Rican flag below. My eye caught the flag because of the Puerto Rican music project I'm doing for Pioneer Valley Soundscapes.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Wow, the comments section really draws out the racists and the facists, doesn't it?

Seems to me the flag should be allowed anytime anywhere that it is flown with respect.

Mexican flag on Cinco De Mayo? Why the hell not? It is a huge deal to millions of people. It should never be used to antagonize anyone, either here or there though, and certainly should never take precedence over the US flag on our soil.

All this shit makes me wanna go fly a US flag on July 4th in Mexico.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

One should be able to fly any flag one chooses, per the First Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Link View Post
          One should be able to fly any flag one chooses, per the First Amendment.

Exactly. School administrators need to STFU already. If there's a problem deal with the individual problem if it ever happens.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

There used to be a time when flags were in the classrooms...

Comment

Originally posted by ALYKZANDYR View Post
              There used to be a time when flags were in the classrooms...
              That was before having national pride was considered racist.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
                That shit is a product of the progressive movement, and MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Wow, the comments section really draws out the racists and the facists, doesn't it?

Seems to me the flag should be allowed anytime anywhere that it is flown with respect.

Mexican flag on Cinco De Mayo? Why the hell not? It is a huge deal to millions of people. It should never be used to antagonize anyone, either here or there though, and certainly should never take precedence over the US flag on our soil.

All this shit makes me wanna go fly a US flag on July 4th in Mexico.
                We are in full agreement in for the 2ed time in a week, wow stars must be in some goofy alignment

Yes all flags are to be treated with respect and NONE FLOWN ABOVE the Stars and Bars, no matter the day or holiday at or any time in the US.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  Yes all flags are to be treated with respect and NONE FLOWN ABOVE the Stars and Bars, no matter the day or holiday at or any time in the US.
                  Agree 100%. My high school still had US flags in the classroom, that was only five years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
                    That shit is a product of the progressive movement, and MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.

We are in full agreement in for the 2ed time in a week, wow stars must be in some goofy alignment

yup.

Comment

Working...
                    X