Canada bans "Money for Nothing" lulz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markseven View Post
    Your inconsistency with what can and can't be "explained away". Three lines in one eighties song vs. multiple albums chock full of crap.

And, if you look at the context of the DS song, they are being sarcastic (or is it facetious?), cause IIRC the song is about themselves.
    Yes. I know. But I like DS. And an older child can understand the idea of humorous self-deprecation, but younger ones not as much.

Comment

Originally posted by spyde25 View Post
      Does Canada still play Green Day?
      Yes I do believe a Green Day song plays once every few weeks on the radio station in Canada, unfortunately you can never quite tell thanks to the freak snow storms blocking our radio signal and the random polar bear attacks on the broadcast igloo.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

What's funny about this to me is if you understand the context in which "waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles" is being used, you know that it's actually pointing out the ignorance of an appliance delivery person who is labeling an MTV rocker a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.
        Last edited by Ryann; 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I love this song.
          sigpic

Comment

The word waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles has been overused and doesn't even mean homosexual anymore. It's just the same as calling someone an asshole or shit head. There really isn't any meaning behind it except to express your displeasure with that particular person at the particular moment.

Censorship just further reinforces the negative meaning of words.
            Last edited by LBJefferies; 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Doesn't "fag" only mean "cigarettes" in British slang anyway?

"In some countries, waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles has additional meanings (all dated or rare in the U.S.): a bundle of sticks; a culinary term for herbs or seasoning added to a meal;[4] "waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles trim", a style of embroidery in clothing;[5] and waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffless, which are a kind of meatball.[6] Fag also has additional meanings: slang for a cigarette (dated in the US[7]), or for hard work and chores. In some UK public schools, fagging was the name given to the practice where a younger boy (a "fag") acted as an unpaid servant for an older boy."

Therefore, banning "Money for nothing" only because of the use of the "waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles" word is a nonsense, as that word has different meanings depending on regions... In Dire Strait's song, "waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles" probably had nothing to do with sexual orientation, but rather with being a servant to the system. I am surprised that radio broadcasters didn't event hint at that. Fucking incompetent corpororate tools.
              Last edited by Massive Lee; 01-16-2011, 03:51 PM.
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I thought a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles was a bundle of sticks?
                Originally posted by z31maniac
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                X